Verizon's "More Everything Plan" and International Messaging

frozzy24

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
So, I just discovered that my hubby chose the More Everything plan (we used to have the Shared Family plan).

We have just the two lines, 3GB, unl. text & talk. I have an iPhone 5C and hubby has a Motorola Droid (he loves it still, got a new battery a few months ago and it was like a brand new phone).

Now my first question is about the International Messaging. Is it just out-going messages that are free? or incoming as well, while we're in the US? I have alot of family that lives in Canada, we've been limiting our texting using various apps., it's becoming a nuisance though and I don't always find them to be secure, I get alot of spam and unwelcome messages from people I do not know. There are several that have iPhone, but not everyone will use iMessage, as they're not exactly clear on how it will affect their bill. (I have tried explaining that it uses data or better yet, Wi-Fi, not the phone line).

Next question is, I'm going to Canada for a few weeks in the fall, what should I and shouldn't I do, to keep my charges to a minimum? I usually put it in Airplane mode before I board my flight, use my wifi within connecting airports (unless they're in the US). We have vonage at home, so I can connect to wifi and make my calls that way. But there isn't always a wifi to connect to. I'll be in a pretty remote (rural) area which doesn't have the greatest cellular connection for my family that live there. I'm not sure if it would be a waste to get global roaming or not, I guess is what I'm asking. I also would like to be able to text my hubby on my location so he knows who's phone number to dial, he will be staying home in the US (work obligations) while I go visit my family.

Thanks in advance

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Instead of even worrying about it, why not get your people on a messenger client like BBM, WhatsApp, Skype, or FaceBook messenger? Any of those should work and will support most if not all mobile platforms. Just use wifi connections for your messaging and turn off your cell network.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You can use iMessage and FaceTime with other iOS users. Others you can use as pkcable says above. My cousin lives in Dubai, and she suggests Google Hangouts. In any event, stay off Cellular. Use WiFi only if possible. Data is expensive. Even push for email can be costly. Turn Push off for email. You may not send one, but you may receive mail that might cost you.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

frozzy24

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Instead of even worrying about it, why not get your people on a messenger client like BBM, WhatsApp, Skype, or FaceBook messenger? Any of those should work and will support most if not all mobile platforms. Just use wifi connections for your messaging and turn off your cell network.

I stated that we do use some of them, however I have been receiving alot of unwanted messages from people that are not on my contact list. No way to block any of them either. And, it would be nice to use a feature if it's already included in the plan.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I stated that we do use some of them, however I have been receiving alot of unwanted messages from people that are not on my contact list. No way to block any of them either. And, it would be nice to use a feature if it's already included in the plan.

Well then BBM is the one for you, it's the most secure and you CAN block people, but good luck getting non blackberry people to use it. ;) It's an uphill battle. ;)

frozzy24

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
You can use iMessage and FaceTime with other iOS users. Others you can use as pkcable says above. My cousin lives in Dubai, and she suggests Google Hangouts. In any event, stay off Cellular. Use WiFi only if possible. Data is expensive. Even push for email can be costly. Turn Push off for email. You may not send one, but you may receive mail that might cost you.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Thanks for your feedback. The fact that my hubby has an android, as well as some other family members is the real issue. I will take my questions to Verizon.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It's unlimited in and out. I checked. No charges appeared for ongoing or outgoing international messaging.

Data based messengers are often not as popular overseas because oft he cost of data and the size of data plans in some regions.

iPhones and products in that price range are also a luxury in some regions. Hard to justify an iPhone when you can get an iPhone or Android device for 10% of the cost which works almost if not equally as well (specs be damned).

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73