Will I also use data for all phone calls if I use VOLTE?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
So, I activated a new iPhone 6, and Verizon says this option is available. Seems you talk over LTE? Won't that take up your data allowance? Am I missing the point? I get simultaneous data and phone and of course know if I am on the internet, I use my data however will I also use data for all phone calls if I use VOLTE?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Advanced Calling 1.0 is our first generation of services enabled by VoLTE (Voice over LTE) technology. VoLTE is a new technology platform that delivers voice calls over our 4G LTE network instead of the traditional voice network.

How much does Advanced Calling 1.0 cost?

Advanced Calling 1.0 service is available at no additional charge.

The benefits of Advanced Calling 1.0 include:

• HD Voice
  • 1-way or 2-way video calls* (including support for video calls over Wi-Fi)
  • Simultaneous voice and 4G LTE data
  • 6-way conference calls
HD Voice is included in existing plans. HD Voice calls are billed as standard voice calls according to your plan. No data charges apply.

Source: Advanced Calling 1.0 FAQs | Verizon Wireless

kd7irm

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Basically CDMA, 2g, and 3G are on one radio and frequency and 4g/LTE are in a separate radio and frequency, thus allowing simultaneous radio transmissions with the cell tower, one channel for data and one for voice.

kd7irm

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick read through verizon fine print. It gives you the estimated data use for a one minute call on VoLTE But then it says no data charges. Interesting...
So looks as though there are no data charges or possibly minutes

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I read an article that said although the iPhone 5 is capable technically of VOLTE, its not enabled and more than likely wouldn't be enabled. Sucks, but that is Apple's way.
Yep. I talked to Verizon about it. I'll be upgrading in January.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.