Verizon question? Ask a rep!

byerspc

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So I picked up my Air this morning...VZW..

I haven't activated cellular on it because I don't need 1 GB right now etc. I have a t-mobile nano sim that fits in it and if I change the APN settings it connects and all.

If I activate it on t-mobile before activating it on VZW will I have any issues when I want to go back to VZW? (because of the CDMA etc)

The main reason for switching sims is I want to use the free 200MB from t-mobile but switch to VZW when I need more data or if the t-mobile coverage is bad.

byerspc

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So I should have been more patient but I wasn't and I activated the prepaid Vzw service on my new air. When I showed it to my wife last night we noticed a chip in it. I took it back to apple today and they gave me a new one. They had me cancel my plan on the old one. Does this mean I am just out the $20 or if I go to a Vzw store can they give me a prorated refund or apple the money to my new Vzw air?

jphillips10

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are leaving VZW for prepaid (T-Mobile or ST) due to cost and service issues. We still have unlimited data on both plans. I have a brother in law that may be interested in taking over my account. Is this possible and would my wife and I still be able to port our #'s?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are leaving VZW for prepaid (T-Mobile or ST) due to cost and service issues. We still have unlimited data on both plans. I have a brother in law that may be interested in taking over my account. Is this possible and would my wife and I still be able to port our #'s?

If you port the numbers it kills the line mean you will lose the data
Your brother can change the phone numbers but they those old numbers will be lost.
Basically It's 1 or the other if you port the lines those numbers are on are terminated losing the grandfathered data.

jphillips10

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
If you port the numbers it kills the line mean you will lose the data
Your brother can change the phone numbers but they those old numbers will be lost.
Basically It's 1 or the other if you port the lines those numbers are on are terminated losing the grandfathered data.

Figured it wasn't possible but had to ask just in case. Thanks!

kdh0324

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I called Verizon Sunday morning and was approved for an early upgrade on my wife's line. They said that within the next 2 hours, it would show up so I could order online/take care of it in the store. Nothing ever came. Called a couple time Sunday to try to get someone who could/would help, but got nothing. Called AGAIN Monday morning and was told the same thing, that they could approve us for an early upgrade. I asked him to make detailed notes. Apparently they weren't detailed enough, because when I never heard back from them, I called and spoke to customer service and they can't/won't do anything. I need some advice. I know what I was told but can't get anyone to honor it. Sent emails to high ups and other tactics. Any advice?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I called Verizon Sunday morning and was approved for an early upgrade on my wife's line. They said that within the next 2 hours, it would show up so I could order online/take care of it in the store. Nothing ever came. Called a couple time Sunday to try to get someone who could/would help, but got nothing. Called AGAIN Monday morning and was told the same thing, that they could approve us for an early upgrade. I asked him to make detailed notes. Apparently they weren't detailed enough, because when I never heard back from them, I called and spoke to customer service and they can't/won't do anything. I need some advice. I know what I was told but can't get anyone to honor it. Sent emails to high ups and other tactics. Any advice?

There should be a notation that you called on the account, so keep trying. Some CS reps are just not helpful at all, some will go above and beyond to make things happen. Worse case scenario, ask to speak to a supervisor or ask to have your issue upgraded. If all else fails, threaten to leave Verizon if the issue isn't resolved. The latter tends to work wonders, from what I've heard.

kdh0324

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Ended up getting this resolved. Got the upgrade, plus a $60 inconvenience credit on the account. Had to ask for a supervisors supervisor, threatened to call the better business bureau and emailed the regional executive. Usually don't take things that far but I wasn't receiving ANY help from anyone. The problem is that the reps I talked to, even when I asked them to include detailed notes, didn't and nothing clearly stated that I was told I was approved for an upgrade. Even now, this experience leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not saying I will be leaving Verizon in the future, but I will definitely consider my options.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Ended up getting this resolved. Got the upgrade, plus a $60 inconvenience credit on the account. Had to ask for a supervisors supervisor, threatened to call the better business bureau and emailed the regional executive. Usually don't take things that far but I wasn't receiving ANY help from anyone. The problem is that the reps I talked to, even when I asked them to include detailed notes, didn't and nothing clearly stated that I was told I was approved for an upgrade. Even now, this experience leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not saying I will be leaving Verizon in the future, but I will definitely consider my options.

Glad to see you had the issue resolved, and received a credit for the inconvenience. No company is perfect, but at least Verizon is trying to mend their wrong. Enjoy your new phone (whenever you get it, that is)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Neurodave, you are an asset to both Verizon and to the iMore community. Thank you for your patience, wisdom and professionalism in answering the questions posed by member of this community. It is appreciated, sir....:)

mudpud

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
For neurodave:
My case: 450 mins ($40) / unlimited data plan ($30) up for renewal soon.
My husband: 450 mins ($40) / 2 Gb tier ($30) up for renewal now.

Would like to:
- add him to my account - have him use his upgrade for the 5S
- I would like to upgrade to the 5S but keep unlimited data

After doing research, I decided to:
- he will upgrade now, get the 5S, then I will AOL (assume liability) and transfer him to my account
- I will pay full price for the 5S. But I found out that I have a $200 towards upgrading to a 4G LTE phone. One rep told me that this is only good if I used the subsidy or switched EDGE MAX. Another rep told me that I can use it. Who's right?

Can I transfer my upgrade to this second line I'm about to add (my husband's) and have him use it for a second time? Someone told me this is what they did. But this doesn't make sense because isn't it true that each time one uses the upgrade, you have to pay for a plan for 2 years?

The hypothetical scenario is - one person uses the upgrade but then loses or break the phone. A family member with an upgrade transfers that upgrade to the person who lost or broke the phone and then that person uses this upgrade to get the $199 iPhone 5S for a second time. Is this possible?

THX

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I want to keep my unlimited data. Could I purchase 2 iPhones from the Apple store (want to use my Barclays card) at full retail and use them on my Verizon account so I can keep my current plan? My contract ends in Dec 29th. Would that also allow me to just pay month to month instead of being on a contract?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I want to keep my unlimited data. Could I purchase 2 iPhones from the Apple store (want to use my Barclays card) at full retail and use them on my Verizon account so I can keep my current plan? My contract ends in Dec 29th. Would that also allow me to just pay month to month instead of being on a contract?

Yes and yes.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes and yes.

How would that work? Would I need to wait for my contract to expire but then I would lost my current plan which Verizon no longer offers. Say I goto the apple store, tell a rep that I want to buy a 5s and 5c at full price so I can keep my 1400min nationwide family share plan w/ unl data. What would be the process?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
You would purchase the phones, then go onto your My Verizon app or online account and do a device change. The device change option does not alter any of your plans features.

Good luck!

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Neurodave, you are an asset to both Verizon and to the iMore community. Thank you for your patience, wisdom and professionalism in answering the questions posed by member of this community. It is appreciated, sir....:)

You're all very welcome!

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so what I took from that is:

You have a VZW account, he has his own. You'd like to assume liability of his so that you're both under one account, and you'd both like to upgrade.

Now that I have that part down, as far as the upgrade is concerned, you can indeed upgrade a line twice. Let me explain:

He has an upgrade, uses it and gets an iPhone. A few weeks or months down the line, he wants another phone and by then YOU have an upgrade, in which case you can do what's called an alternate upgrade and upgrade his line again. Just remember that on the latter side, your contract would extend, not his.

As for keeping unlimited data, I'd say that unless the 2-year contract is an issue, just go with the Verizon MAX 6GB option. Otherwise, full price purchase of the iPhone would be required in order to keep the unlimited data option.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Neurodave,

I've read several forums but still confused as hell. Could you please explain what I specifically need to do to keep my unlimited data in my situation?

My girlfriend and I have the 1400min nationwide talk&text plan with unlimited data on both of our phones, comes out to $175 a month for our plan. We both have upgrades available too. Currently I have an HTC Rezound and she has an ancient Droid X2, both phones are on same plan.

I'd like to upgrade to an iPhone 5s and she to a 5c. How do I go about doing this, getting the iPhone's at the upgrade price while keeping unlimited?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
In your scenario, it is not possible if it's only you and your girlfriend on the account and both of you have unlimited data. The only way around it, is if you buy the phone full price and do a device swap.

g_harris06

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I am on my parents plan and have the unlimited data plan. Is it possible for me to split off onto my own plan and keep the unlimited data? Please advise.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro