Verizon question? Ask a rep!

Buck1127

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
im a longtime verizon wireless customer looking into the iPad air. are you gonna offer something similar to tmobile with offering a monthly payment plan?

razb3rry

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
You can only get the 6GB Max Plan with Edge. If you don't want that, then you need to cancel your order.

You can keep your unlimited data plan by purchasing the phone at full retail price. You can use the Device Payment Plan if you don't want to pay all of it upfront.
Device Payment Program FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Thank you! I cancelled my order and will look into the device payment plan. May just pay the full retail because the payment plan has a monthly surcharge.

Trying to maintain my current plan and monthly cost while avoiding unnecessary charges and ridiculous fees (renewal fee? wth) is becoming more and more difficult. Quite frankly its exhausting. Having cell phone service shouldn't be this hard.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You can only get the 6GB Max Plan with Edge. If you don't want that, then you need to cancel your order.

You can keep your unlimited data plan by purchasing the phone at full retail price. You can use the Device Payment Plan if you don't want to pay all of it upfront.
Device Payment Program FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Might want to check facts. I got the max plan and I'm not on Edge.

You can do it. Ask. I got it and I didn't sign up for the pay X amount every month for a new phone plan.

Last edited:

alcarrier

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
  1. Currently grandfathered on the unlimited data plan. Three phones on the plan and one of them is due for an upgrade. If I choose to upgrade the phone, to a 5s of course, does this mean the entire plan looses the unlimited data or only the phone that is upgraded?
  2. Can I have the Verizon iPhone shipped to my house?
  3. Can the iPhone be activated at home or do I have to go into a store?

Thanks.
Yes you can. That is currently the only way to keep unlimited data plans, as our system no longer makes use of the old "Alternate Upgrade" trick.
I wanted to follow up on this, just to make sure I understand correctly. I have a family talk plan with four lines - two smartphones, two dumbphones. My line still has unlimited data, which I really would prefer not to lose - but I don't want to pay full price for a phone if I can help it. Am I able to 1) upgrade one of the dumbphones to a new smartphone, adding a new 2GB data plan to that line, 2) swap out the new smartphone for mine, 3) reactivate the dumbphone on the other line, and 4) cancel that line's data plan? Any minimum amount of time I have to keep that data plan?

Sure would be nice if this is in fact the case...

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! I cancelled my order and will look into the device payment plan. May just pay the full retail because the payment plan has a monthly surcharge.

Trying to maintain my current plan and monthly cost while avoiding unnecessary charges and ridiculous fees (renewal fee? wth) is becoming more and more difficult. Quite frankly its exhausting. Having cell phone service shouldn't be this hard.

You received incorrect information. The 6GB MAX plan is for individuals with Unlimited data. That is Verizons way of countering any complaints about "I want to keep my unlimited data, so I won't upgrade."

The way I see it, I think it's a great option. 9/10 people who would die for their unlimited data plans, never go above 2GB to begin with. I think even for the data hungry 6GB for the same price of $29.99 is fair.

So, you might want to put that order in again, bud. Good luck! Take advantage of that data plan while you can.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
im a longtime verizon wireless customer looking into the iPad air. are you gonna offer something similar to tmobile with offering a monthly payment plan?

I would assume that the iPad Air would fall into our EDGE program as well. Everything else we sell is.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Any help for me? Or is this just normal

There are a lot of variables involved with situations like that. There might have been adjustments done to your local tower, a tower might be down or malfunctioning, a wireless router you just installed might cause interference, a new router someone near you might do the same, some other gadget in the vicinity of you might be causing issues, etc etc. The list is truly endless in that scenario.

Give Verizon a call if it is truly a bothersome issue and have them check your local towers and see what can be done. But I'd be willing to bet that losing 1 bar of service might not garner you a lot of attention from CS. Worth a shot, Good luck!

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to follow up on this, just to make sure I understand correctly. I have a family talk plan with four lines - two smartphones, two dumbphones. My line still has unlimited data, which I really would prefer not to lose - but I don't want to pay full price for a phone if I can help it. Am I able to 1) upgrade one of the dumbphones to a new smartphone, adding a new 2GB data plan to that line, 2) swap out the new smartphone for mine, 3) reactivate the dumbphone on the other line, and 4) cancel that line's data plan? Any minimum amount of time I have to keep that data plan?

Sure would be nice if this is in fact the case...

Yes, to all of the above, I do it all the time. There is no minimum time to keep it active on the upgrade eligible line, but standard practice is to keep it there for a few hours. I generally swap them out right then and there. Good luck!

On a side note, if you swap your smartphone onto that line and put the new phone on yours, the other line can't lose the data plan. Best bet is to put the dumb phone back on, the system will automagically take off the data plan.

alcarrier

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, to all of the above, I do it all the time. There is no minimum time to keep it active on the upgrade eligible line, but standard practice is to keep it there for a few hours. I generally swap them out right then and there. Good luck!

On a side note, if you swap your smartphone onto that line and put the new phone on yours, the other line can't lose the data plan. Best bet is to put the dumb phone back on, the system will automagically take off the data plan.
Thanks so much! Also, I just learned that I can transfer my line's upgrade to another line, so instead I could upgrade the other smartphone line (it's not eligible for an upgrade until March) and just leave that line's data plan (2GB) as is.

ktg2424

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site

razb3rry

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
You received incorrect information. The 6GB MAX plan is for individuals with Unlimited data. That is Verizons way of countering any complaints about "I want to keep my unlimited data, so I won't upgrade."

The way I see it, I think it's a great option. 9/10 people who would die for their unlimited data plans, never go above 2GB to begin with. I think even for the data hungry 6GB for the same price of $29.99 is fair.

So, you might want to put that order in again, bud. Good luck! Take advantage of that data plan while you can.

Thanks neurodave. Just spoke with vzw and they confirmed those with unlimited data are eligible for the 6gb Max without edge.

Replaced my 5s order and its scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Can't wait!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Awesome! Enjoy your new phone :)

Part of the device payment plan is you can't have more than 1000 and two devices . I have edge on one line say I wanted to buy a ipad and use the device payment plan. Does my edge line count as one device and take off From the 1000 limit ?

YESMAC

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Is the iPhone 5S available for purchase to use on a Best Buy concession line? If not, can I just open a regular consumer line and have the Verizon rep at my store convert it to a concession line or will I just have to wait?

Hello, I am a VZW indirect account manager. The iPhone 5s is still not available for purchase on the concession lines. You can open a regular consumer line, however it could not be moved to the discounted concession line pricing for 6 months.

orangeman

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I am not a Verizon customer and went into a Verizon store to pick up two iPad nano sims for two used iPads that I purchased. They refused to give them to me saying I had to bring in the iPads and they would give me one sim for each iPad and they would have to activate in the store. Then they started talking about $36 activation fees. The whole thing was unpleasant.

A few hours later, shopping in a mall, I stopped in an Apple store asking for the same thing. Their reply was "sure, we have a whole stack of them and they are free, how many do you need?"

What is the reason these two companies treat the same request so differently?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I am not a Verizon customer and went into a Verizon store to pick up two iPad nano sims for two used iPads that I purchased. They refused to give them to me saying I had to bring in the iPads and they would give me one sim for each iPad and they would have to activate in the store. Then they started talking about $36 activation fees. The whole thing was unpleasant.

A few hours later, shopping in a mall, I stopped in an Apple store asking for the same thing. Their reply was "sure, we have a whole stack of them and they are free, how many do you need?"

You will be charged the activation fee in the next bill, so in that sense, the VZW reps were right.

As for bringing in the iPads, they wanted you to do that because it counts for them as two new activations on a "CPE" (Customer provided equipment.)

I'm sorry for that unpleasant encounter with some Verizon reps who put themselves ahead of your needs.

YESMAC

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Verizon is a service provider and Apple is the device manufacturer so that's the difference.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is a service provider and Apple is the device manufacturer so that's the difference.

Wrong, and right. From a "technically right" aspect, then that is correct. However, when it boils down to it, it was a one-off experience with an individual (or individuals?) who put their needs before that of the customer. They saw an easy way to add 2 new tablet activations to their tally, and didn't care for much else after that.

For the most part, that doesn't happen. I can attest for my own store as well, that if one of my reps ever did that, I would write them up in a split second.

Customer first is how we generally do things at Verizon, but there will always be that one black sheep in the group.

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to repost, just wanted to clarify. The Verizon sales reps have a very unique iPad case that is rugged and has a handle/grip on the back. It's the one they personally use when making transactions. I want it, period. Nobody from Verizon ranging from the reps to customer service to corporate has been able to tell me what case it is. It's unbranded and the corporate response was they couldn't give up the vendor. Funny that my company has over 15,000 Verizon iPads in use but I can't get this answer. Can you help? Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone 5s on Verizon from Philly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro