Verizon question? Ask a rep!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Also about Edge, I was told by a Verizon rep over the phone that you cannot pay in advance toward paying off the phone because the cost is built into the plan. So does that I mean I would also be unable to pay more down upfront to pay off the phone sooner?

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Also about Edge, I was told by a Verizon rep over the phone that you cannot pay in advance toward paying off the phone because the cost is built into the plan. So does that I mean I would also be unable to pay more down upfront to pay off the phone sooner?

I'm not sure about paying off sooner but I think you can because they state to upgrade it has to be 6 months in or half of it paid ..
You said pay double for the phone ? I am on edge and it's not double it's full retail cost split over two years is all.
To me it's not that bad a deal considering I upgrade yearly anyways. It also makes it more affordable if desire to want a 64gb.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
As it happens my husband had to have a new phone yesterday, he is almost a year out on his upgrade. So I went online and customer service stated you CAN switch an edge device. So I get to the store and they tell me you absolutely CANNOT. They said the line is tied into the esn and can't be switched. Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my intentions with the guy online, but I hate getting different answers to the same question

Yes u can I know for a fact my 5s that I'm using now was bought on another line on my account using edge. After they process it they switched the 5s to my number. The edge billing will get billed to the number that had the upstage to start with not the number the phone is actually using.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about paying off sooner but I think you can because they state to upgrade it has to be 6 months in or half of it paid ..
You said pay double for the phone ? I am on edge and it's not double it's full retail cost split over two years is all.
To me it's not that bad a deal considering I upgrade yearly anyways. It also makes it more affordable if desire to want a 64gb.

It is twice because a subsidy cost is built into the plans. So you are already paying off a phone (even if you bought it outright) just by having a plan. Enter Edge, adds an additional $30 a month to pay off the phone, ergo you are paying for the phone twice over.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It is twice because a subsidy cost is built into the plans. So you are already paying off a phone (even if you bought it outright) just by having a plan. Enter Edge, adds an additional $30 a month to pay off the phone, ergo you are paying for the phone twice over.

Well when I got the phone I paid nothing and my receipt shows 749.99 and I pay 31.xx a month and when I add that for 24 months it comes out to the retail price ..
If I would of went contract route I would have paid 299 and upgrade fee upfront

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well when I got the phone I paid nothing and my receipt shows 749.99 and I pay 31.xx a month and when I add that for 24 months it comes out to the retail price ..

Now compare the price of your data/minutes/text plan with the same plan on contract, you'll notice there is no price difference. And if you pay $300 down and an upgrade fee, you'll pay the subsidy cost for the phone within the plan, the same plan you have on Edge. They aren't giving phones away for free to people on contract or for just $400. And just search the iMore news articles for carrier pricing, they've broken down the math and shown that Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint all have subsidy costs built into their plans.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Now compare the price of your data/minutes/text plan with the same plan on contract, you'll notice there is no price difference. And if you pay $300 down and an upgrade fee, you'll pay the subsidy cost for the phone within the plan, the same plan you have on Edge. They aren't giving phones away for free to people on contract or for just $400. And just search the iMore news articles for carrier pricing, they've broken down the math and shown that Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint all have subsidy costs built into their plans.

Oh ok I see what your saying and very true
But it's something that we don't control even if we bought our phone retail in full .. The plans are the plans
I do agree it should be cheaper

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

And here's an example

Person 1 buys a phone outright, signs a contract, pays $100 a month for the plan for 24 months.

Person 2 buys the same, subsidizes it, signs a contract, pays $100 a month for the same plan for 24 months.

Person 3 gets the same phone, on Edge and pays nothing down, signs no contract, pays $100 a month for the same for 24 months, plus an addition x amount per month to pay off the phone.

How is that possible? With subsidy fees built into the plan so the cell provider ALWAYS gets the money for the phone.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh ok I see what your saying and very true
But it's something that we don't control even if we bought our phone retail in full .. The plans are the plans
I do agree it should be cheaper

We commented at the same time, but yes, at some point the plans should be cheaper once the phone is paid for. T-Mobile is the only of the 4 major US carriers that does this currently. I'm hopeful that it will catch on.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
And here's an example

Person 1 buys a phone outright, signs a contract, pays $100 a month for the plan for 24 months.

Person 2 buys the same, subsidizes it, signs a contract, pays $100 a month for the same plan for 24 months.

Person 3 gets the same phone, on Edge and pays nothing down, signs no contract, pays $100 a month for the same for 24 months, plus an addition x amount per month to pay off the phone.

How is that possible? With subsidy fees built into the plan so the cell provider ALWAYS gets the money for the phone.

I guess because they don't advertise they build those prices in and say it's the price for the service so they get you to pay

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys!

I see a lot of you have Verizon Wireless here in the US. If you have any questions about absolutely anything relating to VZW and its devices, feel free to post them on here. I am a manager for VZW and I have been around for quite some time, so you can say I know a thing or two.

I have also worked at Sprint, so I can do my best to tackle any questions relating to them as well.

Let em rip!

I've recently noticed that all the devices that my family uses all have only 3-4 bars of LTE. In February, we always had 5 bars, why is this happening? Just next door, our neighbors have full bars, and are phones have full bars if we go over there. What is causing this?

BTSee

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I recently renewed my contract and got charged a $35 renewal fee. Is there anything I can do to get that waived?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I recently renewed my contract and got charged a $35 renewal fee. Is there anything I can do to get that waived?

Those are a hit-or-miss. If you call customer service, they may be able to waive it. The success rate is much higher if you have been a long time customer. However, I did just read your threat about the loyalty plan, which they may use against you in terms of crediting you back the fee.

Try anyway. Worse that could happen is they say no. Good luck!

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Seriously??? Why on Earth would they charge a fee to renew? That's beyond ridiculous!

It's standard practice across the board. Don't get me wrong, I feel it's unnecessary, and have never really received a straight forward answer from the "higher ups" about the reason behind it. But, what can you do...

razb3rry

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused. I just went in store yesterday to order my 32gb 5s. The rep said he'd give me the 6GB max plan becuz they no longer offer the unlimited plans which I was grandfathered into. He said nothing about it being a part of the Edge plan.

I paid the upgrade fee and the discount fee for the 5s ($299). I don't want Edge. Do I need to go ahead and cancel my order?

jogo21

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm curios to response as I was told the same thing. I'm not trying to increase my monthly bill as it appears it will with edge plan. But I may not understand it completely.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused. I just went in store yesterday to order my 32gb 5s. The rep said he'd give me the 6GB max plan becuz they no longer offer the unlimited plans which I was grandfathered into. He said nothing about it being a part of the Edge plan.

I paid the upgrade fee and the discount fee for the 5s ($299). I don't want Edge. Do I need to go ahead and cancel my order?
You can only get the 6GB Max Plan with Edge. If you don't want that, then you need to cancel your order.

You can keep your unlimited data plan by purchasing the phone at full retail price. You can use the Device Payment Plan if you don't want to pay all of it upfront.
Device Payment Program FAQs | Verizon Wireless

wheresmoosh

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Is the iPhone 5S available for purchase to use on a Best Buy concession line? If not, can I just open a regular consumer line and have the Verizon rep at my store convert it to a concession line or will I just have to wait?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR