Verizon question? Ask a rep!

maxsec

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a business account, so I must purchase through Verizon.

I have a family share with 2 lines, an iphone 4, which has unlimited data, and a basic phone on the other line. I'm wanting to upgrade to an iphone 5s while keeping my unlimited data. Best Buy would have been able to do this for me, but since I have a business account they can't work with me. The local Verizon Rep said that he couldn't help me keep my unlimited data.

So I thought about ordering an iphone 5s online as an upgrade to the basic phone.
Activate that phone with a 2gb plan.
Reactivate the old phone back on that line, removing the data plan.
Then activate the iphone 5s on the line that now has the iphone 4.
Can I do this and keep my unlimited data?

Thanks.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
  1. Currently grandfathered on the unlimited data plan. Three phones on the plan and one of them is due for an upgrade. If I choose to upgrade the phone, to a 5s of course, does this mean the entire plan looses the unlimited data or only the phone that is upgraded?
  2. Can I have the Verizon iPhone shipped to my house?
  3. Can the iPhone be activated at home or do I have to go into a store?

Thanks.

mudbuny

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If I add a line to my account using Edge, can I then switch that phone out with another line like you can with a regular upgrade?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
If customers pay for a share everything plan what does that get them?

Apparently not usage because that's an extra $30/mo per line, so what exactly are customers paying for?

If it's the plan, then customers already purchased it so why do they have to pay to access what they've already bought?

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Here's a tough one that I can't seem to get an answer for. It's not that Verizon is unwilling to give me the answer it's that nobody seems to know. You ask the sales reps and they say corporate showed up one day and put them on. You call customer service and they say to ask the reps in the store. I even tried emailing corporate with no response. Well, enough of that. Bottom line, I'm field based employee who uses an iPad for part of my job. I've been looking for years for the case/cover. I really want to get my hands on the case that the Verizon Sales Representatives use in the retail stores. It's a black rugged case, with a hard plastic screen cover , and has a handle grip on the back to slide your hand in to. I've seen similar one's but nothing this professional looking while still maintaining that "oh crap I dropped my iPad but everything is fine" feel to it. Do buy chance no company name who supplies the cases/covers to Verizon that the sales representatives use in the store?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a business account, so I must purchase through Verizon.

I have a family share with 2 lines, an iphone 4, which has unlimited data, and a basic phone on the other line. I'm wanting to upgrade to an iphone 5s while keeping my unlimited data. Best Buy would have been able to do this for me, but since I have a business account they can't work with me. The local Verizon Rep said that he couldn't help me keep my unlimited data.

So I thought about ordering an iphone 5s online as an upgrade to the basic phone.
Activate that phone with a 2gb plan.
Reactivate the old phone back on that line, removing the data plan.
Then activate the iphone 5s on the line that now has the iphone 4.
Can I do this and keep my unlimited data?

Thanks.

Yes you can. That is currently the only way to keep unlimited data plans, as our system no longer makes use of the old "Alternate Upgrade" trick.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
  1. Currently grandfathered on the unlimited data plan. Three phones on the plan and one of them is due for an upgrade. If I choose to upgrade the phone, to a 5s of course, does this mean the entire plan looses the unlimited data or only the phone that is upgraded?
  2. Can I have the Verizon iPhone shipped to my house?
  3. Can the iPhone be activated at home or do I have to go into a store?

1. Only the line you upgrade is affected
2. Yes, you can have it shipped to your house if you order online or over the phone
3. Yes, it will come ready to activate when you get it. There should be no reason to visit a store.

Thanks.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If customers pay for a share everything plan what does that get them?

Apparently not usage because that's an extra $30/mo per line, so what exactly are customers paying for?

If it's the plan, then customers already purchased it so why do they have to pay to access what they've already bought?

$40 per smartphone gets you unlimited talk and text
$30 per basic phone gets you the same as above

The additional charge is for the data package you pick.

1GB = $50
2GB = $60
4GB = $70
6GB = $80

So forth, and so on.

The data charge is a ONE TIME charge that is shared for all lines on the account.
The $40 (or $30 for basic phones) a month is to give those additional lines unlimited talk and text.

So the rule of thumb is, the more lines you have, the more you save per phone.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Here's a tough one that I can't seem to get an answer for. It's not that Verizon is unwilling to give me the answer it's that nobody seems to know. You ask the sales reps and they say corporate showed up one day and put them on. You call customer service and they say to ask the reps in the store. I even tried emailing corporate with no response. Well, enough of that. Bottom line, I'm field based employee who uses an iPad for part of my job. I've been looking for years for the case/cover. I really want to get my hands on the case that the Verizon Sales Representatives use in the retail stores. It's a black rugged case, with a hard plastic screen cover , and has a handle grip on the back to slide your hand in to. I've seen similar one's but nothing this professional looking while still maintaining that "oh crap I dropped my iPad but everything is fine" feel to it. Do buy chance no company name who supplies the cases/covers to Verizon that the sales representatives use in the store?

Ah, yes, the case used for the sign in iPad for the stores. I am not quite sure who the maker is, as they come directly from corporate in our purchase orders, but I can try to ask around and see what I find. No promises, though.

mudbuny

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes you can.

As it happens my husband had to have a new phone yesterday, he is almost a year out on his upgrade. So I went online and customer service stated you CAN switch an edge device. So I get to the store and they tell me you absolutely CANNOT. They said the line is tied into the esn and can't be switched. Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my intentions with the guy online, but I hate getting different answers to the same question

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The annoying thing about these plans is that I don't want unlimited talk and text. I actually have ATT but their plans work the same way. I wouldn't mind shared data but my bill would go up a lot not due to the data charges but to paying for the unlimited talk rather than my current family plan which shares 550 minutes (which never gets close to being used).
You can go to the older Nationwide plans, but at the end of the day, it will amount to more than the Share Everything.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
As it happens my husband had to have a new phone yesterday, he is almost a year out on his upgrade. So I went online and customer service stated you CAN switch an edge device. So I get to the store and they tell me you absolutely CANNOT. They said the line is tied into the esn and can't be switched. Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my intentions with the guy online, but I hate getting different answers to the same question

You are able to because the account is billed the $2X a month to cover the EDGE charge no matter what. So whether it's on line A or line Z, you won't be able to dodge that charge, and that's what Verizon ultimately cares about. You may want to try another store.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
$40 per smartphone gets you unlimited talk and text
$30 per basic phone gets you the same as above

The additional charge is for the data package you pick.

1GB = $50
2GB = $60
4GB = $70
6GB = $80

So forth, and so on.

The data charge is a ONE TIME charge that is shared for all lines on the account.
The $40 (or $30 for basic phones) a month is to give those additional lines unlimited talk and text.

So the rule of thumb is, the more lines you have, the more you save per phone.

Okay, makes sense, but what about one phone on a shared plan? Suddenly that one person is paying the money for unlimited talk, unlimited text, data, and an additional $40 for unlimited talk, and unlimited text. By the numbers you gave me. So why is there is a duplicate cost for the plan owner/one line on a shared plan?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Okay, makes sense, but what about one phone on a shared plan? Suddenly that one person is paying the money for unlimited talk, unlimited text, data, and an additional $40 for unlimited talk, and unlimited text. By the numbers you gave me. So why is there is a duplicate cost for the plan owner/one line on a shared plan?
The "shared plans" don't make a lot of sense for single phones, but you are not paying twice.

You would pay $40 for the access charge which gives you unlimited talk, text and messaging.
Then you would add the data plan at the level you choose. For example, $70 for 4GB.
This would bring you to a total of $110 which gives you unlimited, talk, text, and messaging and 4GB of data on that phone plus WiFi Hotspot shares that 4GB of data.

If you add a phone, you would only add the $40 access charge and you share that same 4GB of data.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The "shared plans" don't make a lot of sense for single phones, but you are not paying twice.

You would pay $40 for the access charge which gives you unlimited talk, text and messaging.
Then you would add the data plan at the level you choose. For example, $70 for 4GB.
This would bring you to a total of $110 which gives you unlimited, talk, text, and messaging and 4GB of data on that phone plus WiFi Hotspot shares that 4GB of data.

If you add a phone, you would only add the $40 access charge and you share that same 4GB of data.

That makes more sense than the original math. Which is absolutely ridiculous, price wise. However I am a single phone using the share everything. For an additional $2 a month, I was able to gain unlimited minutes and free mobile hotspot from my phone, which helps for my wifi only iPad Mini.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

i_luh_dat

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
So me and my dad both had the unlimited data plans through our iPhone 4's that we got back in 02/11. So I went to verizon last month and talked to an employee and she told me that since I had unlimited data she could offer me Verizon Max (6GB for $30/month). I ended up buying the 5c because they were out of the 5s. A few days later the apple store near me received 5s in stock so I was able to get a 32GB Gray after returning the 5c at Verizon.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
That makes more sense than the original math. Which is absolutely ridiculous, price wise. However I am a single phone using the share everything. For an additional $2 a month, I was able to gain unlimited minutes and free mobile hotspot from my phone, which helps for my wifi only iPad Mini.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

Those prices are the same across the board for the top 4 wireless companies in the US (+/- $5-10) but once you add in more than 2 lines to your account, we begin to undercut the competition. At one point, we undercut AT&T by quite a big chunk! I am a firm believer than Verizon isn't for everyone, though.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have another question, this one about Edge, let's say I switch to Edge, but instead of upgrading once a year, I pay the price for the phone, as well as the built in subsidy cost, so I'm effectively paying for the phone twice. Let's say I "pay off the phone" and I want to upgrade, do I still need to trade in the phone I'm using even though it's paid off?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh