i.e., will you be able to take out the SIM and use it freely on the ATT or tmobile networks with no restrictions. I know this worked on the iPhone 5 for GSM (3G) only because they had different LTE bands. But since the iPhone 5S is the same for all US carriers except Sprint, I'm assuming that it would work on LTE as well. Can anyone confirm?

On a related note, can you take an unlocked iPhone 5S (sold as the tmobile one) and use it on the Verizon network. I'm certain it would work for LTE, but I'm wondering if the tmobile variant has the CDMA portion of the radio and antennas disabled or something.
    09-11-2013 08:16 AM
    Even though VZW states they will only activate VZW phones on their network. I don't think a Tmo will work with VZW network. The other way around should be no issue at all. As simple as inserting a tmo card and its ready to go
    09-11-2013 09:14 AM
    From what I've read on the Apple forums, a Verizon 5S will now work on GSM LTE networks like T-Mobile and AT&T, however, the GSM 5S for T-Mobile and AT&T will not work on Verizon's CDMA network.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app
    09-11-2013 12:11 PM
    From what I've read on the Apple forums, a Verizon 5S will now work on GSM LTE networks like T-Mobile and AT&T, however, the GSM 5S for T-Mobile and AT&T will not work on Verizon's CDMA network.

So then the question is, can you buy the Verizon variant at full price, and then have the ability to use any of the three carriers (even though my carrier is ATT and I probably won't change it). If so, it would seem to be the best option( if you are paying full price anyway) because it would be SIM unlocked for gsm and LTE and could also access the Verizon network. Then you could switch carriers at any time and not need a new phone.
    09-11-2013 12:18 PM
    It will work on other gsm carriers, but not cdma
    09-11-2013 01:01 PM
    So then the question is, can you buy the Verizon variant at full price, and then have the ability to use any of the three carriers (even though my carrier is ATT and I probably won't change it). If so, it would seem to be the best option( if you are paying full price anyway) because it would be SIM unlocked for gsm and LTE and could also access the Verizon network. Then you could switch carriers at any time and not need a new phone.
    Yes, if you want the ability to use the iPhone 5S on all 3 carriers network frequencies, the Verizon 5S is the one that you'll want to have. I don't know that you can order the Verizon 5S through Apple at full retail if you don't have them as your wireless carrier. I tried that on Apples website for the 5 and I was only given the option to Add a new line, or upgrade. The full retail price wasn't an option through Apple. Verizon's website for online orders is the same way.

09-11-2013 01:11 PM
    Yes, if you want the ability to use the iPhone 5S on all 3 carriers network frequencies, the Verizon 5S is the one that you'll want to have.

But will they let you do this on launch day? By the full price Verizon 5S and then put it onto ATT or tmobile network?
    09-11-2013 01:13 PM
    But will they let you do this on launch day? By the full price Verizon 5S and then put it onto ATT or tmobile network?
    Sorry, I was adding more info to my post above.

09-11-2013 01:16 PM
    My guess is no... not without a Verizon account to activate it on... if one also has other accounts with other carriers - it's your business what you do with it after activating it under a Verizon account.
    Last edited by kch50428; 09-11-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: revise & extend...
    09-11-2013 01:18 PM
    My guess is no...
    I don't see why they won't do it in the Apple store. Especially if they plan on having Verizon Reps there on launch day too.

09-11-2013 01:21 PM
    I don't see why they won't do it in the Apple store. Especially if they plan on having Verizon Reps there on launch day too.

I don't actually want a Verizon account though or to activate it on the Verizon network. I just want the Verizon phone but in ATT for future flexibility.
    09-11-2013 02:21 PM
    Best thing to do is try to contact VZW and ask them if you can preorder at full retail pricing.
    09-11-2013 03:38 PM
    Best thing to do is try to contact VZW and ask them if you can preorder at full retail pricing.
    That won't be an issue. If you have an upgrade coming, you'll be offered the contract price on pre-order... no upgrade, retail price.
    c_elliott83 likes this.
    09-11-2013 04:00 PM
    True. I would just show up at the store early and grab one at full retail. As much as they will try to get you to sign up, you don't have to. They will be getting their full retail price for it, and it shouldn't matter to them how you are going to use it. Now sprint would be a different story. You can be under contract with them, in good standing, pay full retail, and they will refuse to unlock the device. Because thats what they do. There is a thread on AC forums about this.

I was just on ebay, and people are selling preorders for the 5c and 5s. If you trust something like that you could go check them out. Att versions are going for around $7-800. You don't even wanna know what VZW are going for. Lol
    Last edited by c_elliott83; 09-11-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Extended
    09-11-2013 04:07 PM
    You definitely would want a Verizon iphone 5S if you're paying full price IMO.
    09-18-2013 11:16 AM
    Both the Att Verizon models are same number this year. I think they are exact same phone. Usually they have different model numbers but now they are exact same number.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    09-27-2013 10:26 PM