How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon AND Get a Subsidized Phone if You Have a Family Plan

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The sim slot on the Verizon phones is for international use, not stateside.
That is only true on a 3G only phone like the iPhone 4S. The VZW iPhone 5 (and all 4G LTE devices) use the SIM card to authenticate to the 4G LTE network.

The CDMA handles lte just fine on its own.
No, they are separate radios. As long as VZW has both CDMA and 4G LTE, a VZW 4G LTE phone has to have 2 radios. LTE cannot be handled by the VZW CDMA network. They are completely different protocols and separate networks.

blackbeard4

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Dumb question, but Repeat steps 2-7 is for if you want to do more than 1 phone, correct? It's not necessary for doing it with just one.

Also, can anyone confirm if this works? Finally, I've heard that Verizon might be completely getting rid of unlimited data at some point for those who already have it, is that true?

Thanks!

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Dumb question, but Repeat steps 2-7 is for if you want to do more than 1 phone, correct?
yes

Also, can anyone confirm if this works?
Lot's of posts on this over at the Verizon android central forum from people who have successfully done this. I have confirmed by phone call to verizon that this works and know people IRL who have successfully done this.

Finally, I've heard that Verizon might be completely getting rid of unlimited data at some point for those who already have it, is that true?
Well they would be altering a material term of your contract if they did and at a minimum would have to let you out of contract. However, they could face other breach of contract damages at least while you still were on contract. Once your contract expires, they can do it no problem.

Only time will tell if they will do it or not.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Finally, I've heard that Verizon might be completely getting rid of unlimited data at some point for those who already have it, is that true?

Thanks!

I'm sure at some point in time Verizon will force all of us with unlimited data off no matter what we do. I seriously doubt if Verizon will let those of us on unlimited data plans stay on unlimited data plans whether we pay outright for a phone or not. It's strictly business for them and one by one, we're losing ways to keep unlimited data.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure at some point in time Verizon will force all of us with unlimited data off no matter what we do. I seriously doubt if Verizon will let those of us on unlimited data plans stay on unlimited data plans whether we pay outright for a phone or not. It's strictly business for them and one by one, we're losing ways to keep unlimited data.
Perhaps, but they have never ungrandfathered a plan before so it would be a first for them.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps, but they have never ungrandfathered a plan before so it would be a first for them.

Even Sprint started tacking on fees for those of us who were grandfathered. I'm hoping that Vzw doesn't yank the unlt'd data any time soon but it'll probably come eventually. I can't afford to swap to a tiered plan seeing how much data I use a month.

Profaniter

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok I have a question...Yesterday, I went to Verizon store and decided to get Samsung Galaxy Note 2.. I was told that I can keep unlimited data plan as long as I add a line and they could switch/move my current phone number to the new phone and I can keep my current plan, if I agree to that, I have to pay extra every months in order to keep that unlimited data plan.. I used to have Droid Charge (by Samsung), so the worker moved my phone number to the new phone and I see that I have my current plan activated on the new phone (my plan is a deaf plan because I'm deaf). So since it worked, can I now call Verizon to ask them to remove the second phone line (number)? Because he said I'm now locked in two years for the new phone and I have to pay about $50 more to my regular bill.. what is your suggestion?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(snipped)So since it worked, can I now call Verizon to ask them to remove the second phone line (number)?
Yes, you can call Verizon and ask them to remove the second phone line.
Because he said I'm now locked in two years for the new phone and I have to pay about $50 more to my regular bill.. what is your suggestion?
I suggest you call Verizon's Customer Service (800-922-0204) and explain your situation. Good luck and have a great weekend.

Profaniter

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I called them and they said, since the transaction were made in the store, they said I have to go in the store to restore the plan and return the new phone..

Steven Craig1

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I have 4 smartphones (Droid X's) now and want to upgrade them all and keep unlimited. Will this process work for all 4 lines if I add a 5th ghost line?

Optid

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Over on the android forum, there is a thread about this. Didn't see one here and see people talking about giving up unlimited data on Verizon - Nooooo!!!!

You have to either have a line that doesn't have unlimited data on it already, be willing to sacrifice unlimited data on one of the lines or add a line to your family plan and so your cost increase by about $13/mo after fees and taxes. But for a family plan of 2 people, adding a line will mean 3 subsidized phones in 20 months and you can sell the third one to recoup the costs of the added line. Here is how it works if you are adding a line:

1) Add a line to your family plan;
2) Buy a subsidized 4G LTE smartphone when you add the new line;
3) Add 2GB data plan for $30 a month on the new line;
4) Activate the new smartphone on the new line;
5) Activate a basic phone (or a ghost phone ESN = 13800000400) on the new line;
6) Choose pay per use as your data plan on the new line;
7) Get a new SIM card for the new 4G LTE smartphone to be on an unlimited data line and activate the new smartphone on this unlimited data line (ordering a new SIM card and activating the new smartphone on an unlimited data line can be done online);
8) Transfer the upgrade from an unlimited data line to the basic phone line (you can do this online once your upgrade is eligible);
9) Repeat Steps 2-7
10) Repeat Steps 8-9 using the upgrades for the other unlimited data lines on the family plan and sell one of the subsidized smartphones to recoup the cost of the added line.

Step 4 is crucial - you MUST activate the new smartphone on the new line first to keep unlimited data on the line you will switch the new smartphone to. Do NOT activate it on the unlimited data line before you activate it on the new line or you will lose unlimited data on that line.

The data plan drops off the basic line when you put a basic phone (or a ghost phone) on the basic line since you are choosing pay per use and not required to have a data plan on a line with a basic phone. You will be billed the entire $30 for the 2GB data plan for the month in which you do this, but will be credited back a prorated amount the next month from the time you put the basic phone on the new line. You can get the new SIM card at a Verizon store rather than ordering one online to speed up the process and reduce the prorated 2GB data plan charge.

The most unbelievable part of this is that when you do the transfer of the unlimited data line's upgrade to the new line and use the upgrade, it renews the unlimited data line's 2 year contract and resets the upgrade on that line for 20 months later. Yep, that is right, you renew your unlimited data for 2 years.

The only places you can do this are Verizon, Best Buy and Costco because all other 3rd party retailers will charge you a $400 fee if you drop the data plan on the new line. Verizon, Best Buy and Costco don't.

All of this can be done entirely online at verizonwireless.com.

Just want to point out NEVER put the ghost ESN or a basic phone on a line with unlimited data or you will lose unlimited data!

How would this work for me I have one line on unlimited data. I have the iPhone 5 I'd like to be able to upgrade to the 5s.

Snowden92

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all of the helpful info!

Could someone clarify one thing for me? I am about to use this method to upgrade my smart phone and keep unlimited data; however, I am not creating a new line on the family plan. Instead, I am transferring the upgrade from one of our unlimited data smart phones to an already existing basic phone line on our family plan.

"The most unbelievable part of this is that when you do the transfer of the unlimited data line's upgrade to the new line and use the upgrade, it renews the unlimited data line's 2 year contract and resets the upgrade on that line for 20 months later. Yep, that is right, you renew your unlimited data for 2 years."

Does this renewal of the unlimited data contract also apply when transferring the upgrade to an existing basic phone line (not a newly created phone line)? If the answer to that is yes, as I believe it to be, then I'd appreciate someone clarifying one more item regarding the contract extension.

My scenario: We have four unlimited data smart phones, and one basic phone on our family plan. Two of the four unlimited data phones are eligible for an upgrade, but the smart phone I plan on upgrading is not yet eligible for an upgrade on its line. In order to upgrade the phone I want I will be (1) transferring the upgrade from one of the eligible smart phones, (2) using that upgrade on the basic phone line to get the new smart phone at the subsidized price, (3) using the method you laid out to transfer the basic phone back onto the line, then (4) swapping the SIM cards to use the new smart phone on the existing unlimited data line that I want to upgrade.

My question: Which unlimited data line will have its contract extended: the one I transfer the upgrade from, or the one I use the new phone on?

Thanks so much in advance, and sorry for the long post: I just wanted to make sure all of the information is here clearly so it is easy to answer. :)

obsc1

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that the method still works. In my case I had a family plan with two lines, both with unlimited data, both eligible for upgrade, though still under contract.

The primary question was:

Can I get subsidized phones (in my case - SGS4) for one or both lines, and NOT lose unlimited data?

Currently it appears the process will work ONLY if you go to the store in-person, ONLY if it's not a corporate Verizon store, and ONLY if the company you're buying the phone from does not change you fees for changing/switching the phone or plan features. To my knowledge at this point only Costco and Best Buy stores fit that requirement.
You will also need an extra basic phone that supports E911 feature (E911 is a requirement). In my case my old Motorola V710 worked great. If you do not have one, they go for about $30 on e-bay.

At the end of the process I got:

1) subsidized phones for both lines
2) one NEW "basic" line with 2-year contract that you must pay for 2 years ($13/moths including fees; less if you have corporate discount through work). So, I have 3 lines total.
3) a contract extended on ONE of the existing lines for 2 more years

I also called Verizon and talked to 3 different account managers. The answer there was - "we can do the upgrade, but you will definitely lose unlimited data plan". However, a friendly rep at Costco assured me that if done right, you will NOT lose unlimited data. And that exactly what happened. It also appears that Verizon reps get a bonus for getting you off unlimited data. Hence, it's not in their best interest to do this for you. But people at the store are not Verizon employees. They get bonuses for the number of phones/plans sold. And if you ask nicely, they will do it for you. I already have gone through one billing cycle with Verizon, and it still shows unlimited data. Hence, I assume that the upgrade was a success.
Note that you CAN get a subsidized phone cheaper at other places, such as Wirefly. However, since they change around $400 for any changes to your account, you cannot do this process there.

I will put all steps of the process here, and some commentary. It worked as follows:

1. Buy a new subsidized smartphone in-store from Costco or Best Buy, on a new line (3rd - in my case). Note that Verizon now limits the number of lines on a family account to 5. That 3rd line will have a new phone number. You will also need to add 2Gb ($30/month) data plan on it, which you can drop without penalty later (another reason why I used Costco, not Wirefly or similar places). You will probably be charged a full month fee for it on the next Verizon bill, which will be refunded the next Verizon billing cycle. You will also pay $30 Verizon activation fees, which Costco refunds via mail-in rebate for a new line.
2. Activate the new smartphone on the new line (you do not need to actually put a new 4G SIM there; the rep can simply do it on a computer)
3. Switch the phone on the 3rd line from the new subsidized smartphone to the basic phone. That will make the new subsidized smartphone "disconnected" from your Verizon account, so it can be placed on a different line.
4. Drop data plan from the 3rd line. Verizon allows you to do so without penalty (if your line shows basic phone and not a smartphone), and Costco does not put any restrictions on plan changes for subsidized phones. At this point all "extra" cost you're responsible for is $10/month + Verizon/FCC fees.
5. Take the new subsidized smartphone, and switch it to the 1st line. Note that this does not change contract terms for the 1st line (or the 3rd line) in any way. At this point I got my new phone on the 1st line, basic phone on the 3rd line, and whatever old smartphone I had before on the 2nd line. You will get yet another new SIM for your new subsidized smartphone. You can discard the SIM you got in step-2.
Now it's time to deal with the second line. For this I used this "basic phone" line (3rd line), which does not have unlimited data anyway. So, it went as follows:
6. Transfer the UPGRADE from 1st line to the 3rd line. Note that Verizon support or corporate store will not do it for you properly. They will "touch" your account, so you WILL lose unlimited data on the 1st line. However, other vendors, such as Costco or Best Buy, can transfer "just the upgrade flag". So, the "Upgrade" ability will go to the 3rd line, though the 1st line is not "touched".
7. Do the UPGRADE on the 3rd line to a subsidized smartphone (you will need to add 2Gb data plan there yet again, and remove it later). Here is what it does:
a) You will get a new subsidized smartphone on the 3rd line
b) You will NOT lose unlimited data on the 1st line
c) The terms of your contract on the 1st line will be extended for 2 more years, though they will NOT be changed
d) You will pay $30 Verizon activation fee, which will NOT be refunded, since this is not a new line anymore
So, at this point I have:
1st line - new smartphone I got in step-1; new 2-year contract without change to contract terms (unlimited data still there)
2nd line - old smartphone, a few months left on contract; unlimited data
3rd line - new smartphone I got in Step-7; 2-year contract per terms I got in Step-1, $30/month for 2Gb data
8. Switch 3rd line to the same basic phone you used in Step-3. Now the new smartphone you got in Step-7 is not linked to your account.
9. Drop data plan from the 3rd line again
10. Put the new smartphone you got in step-7 on line #2.
1st line - new smartphone I got in step-1; new 2-year contract without change to contract terms (unlimited data still there)
2nd line - new smartphone I got in Step-7, a few months left on contract; unlimited data; upgrade available
3rd line - basic phone, $10/month + FCC/taxes; no data plan; 2-year contract

Note that technically I can do the same exact process (steps 6-10) on the line #2 with the upgrade, which will give me an "extra" smartphone, though will extend the contract terms on the 2nd line for 2 years. It's possible to sell this phone on e-bay to recoup the cost of the 3rd line (I actually wanted the 3rd line with the basic phone for other reasons anyway, so it's a non-issue for me).

All of that was done in-store for me. The guy there knew all about it, and how to do it properly. It took about 30 minutes per new phone.

I really like Verizon, but this time I felt they got greedy. After all, I am paying the same amount per month that I did when I got subsidized phone from them originally. So I have to assume they recoup the cost of the new phone this way anyway. Also I am not a very heavy data user (way below their published averages). But I felt that I should be able to keep the plan I have now, and since I was eligible for an upgrade, get a new subsidized phone.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
[Major snip]

I really like Verizon, but this time I felt they got greedy. After all, I am paying the same amount per month that I did when I got subsidized phone from them originally. So I have to assume they recoup the cost of the new phone this way anyway. Also I am not a very heavy data user (way below their published averages). But I felt that I should be able to keep the plan I have now, and since I was eligible for an upgrade, get a new subsidized phone.

​IMO, that's way too much work.

Not to mention the fact that it's just me and I don't need half a dozen phones so I can get an upgrade and keep my unlt'd data. I could give the 2nd phone to my horse, but he'd probably just eat it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm that the method still works. In my case I had a family plan with two lines, both with unlimited data, both eligible for upgrade, though still under contract.

The primary question was:

Can I get subsidized phones (in my case - SGS4) for one or both lines, and NOT lose unlimited data?

Currently it appears the process will work ONLY if you go to the store in-person, ONLY if it's not a corporate Verizon store, and ONLY if the company you're buying the phone from does not change you fees for changing/switching the phone or plan features. To my knowledge at this point only Costco and Best Buy stores fit that requirement.
You will also need an extra basic phone that supports E911 feature (E911 is a requirement). In my case my old Motorola V710 worked great. If you do not have one, they go for about $30 on e-bay.

At the end of the process I got:

1) subsidized phones for both lines
2) one NEW "basic" line with 2-year contract that you must pay for 2 years ($13/moths including fees; less if you have corporate discount through work). So, I have 3 lines total.
3) a contract extended on ONE of the existing lines for 2 more years

I also called Verizon and talked to 3 different account managers. The answer there was - "we can do the upgrade, but you will definitely lose unlimited data plan". However, a friendly rep at Costco assured me that if done right, you will NOT lose unlimited data. And that exactly what happened. It also appears that Verizon reps get a bonus for getting you off unlimited data. Hence, it's not in their best interest to do this for you. But people at the store are not Verizon employees. They get bonuses for the number of phones/plans sold. And if you ask nicely, they will do it for you. I already have gone through one billing cycle with Verizon, and it still shows unlimited data. Hence, I assume that the upgrade was a success.
Note that you CAN get a subsidized phone cheaper at other places, such as Wirefly. However, since they change around $400 for any changes to your account, you cannot do this process there.

I will put all steps of the process here, and some commentary. It worked as follows:

1. Buy a new subsidized smartphone in-store from Costco or Best Buy, on a new line (3rd - in my case). Note that Verizon now limits the number of lines on a family account to 5. That 3rd line will have a new phone number. You will also need to add 2Gb ($30/month) data plan on it, which you can drop without penalty later (another reason why I used Costco, not Wirefly or similar places). You will probably be charged a full month fee for it on the next Verizon bill, which will be refunded the next Verizon billing cycle. You will also pay $30 Verizon activation fees, which Costco refunds via mail-in rebate for a new line.
2. Activate the new smartphone on the new line (you do not need to actually put a new 4G SIM there; the rep can simply do it on a computer)
3. Switch the phone on the 3rd line from the new subsidized smartphone to the basic phone. That will make the new subsidized smartphone "disconnected" from your Verizon account, so it can be placed on a different line.
4. Drop data plan from the 3rd line. Verizon allows you to do so without penalty (if your line shows basic phone and not a smartphone), and Costco does not put any restrictions on plan changes for subsidized phones. At this point all "extra" cost you're responsible for is $10/month + Verizon/FCC fees.
5. Take the new subsidized smartphone, and switch it to the 1st line. Note that this does not change contract terms for the 1st line (or the 3rd line) in any way. At this point I got my new phone on the 1st line, basic phone on the 3rd line, and whatever old smartphone I had before on the 2nd line. You will get yet another new SIM for your new subsidized smartphone. You can discard the SIM you got in step-2.
Now it's time to deal with the second line. For this I used this "basic phone" line (3rd line), which does not have unlimited data anyway. So, it went as follows:
6. Transfer the UPGRADE from 1st line to the 3rd line. Note that Verizon support or corporate store will not do it for you properly. They will "touch" your account, so you WILL lose unlimited data on the 1st line. However, other vendors, such as Costco or Best Buy, can transfer "just the upgrade flag". So, the "Upgrade" ability will go to the 3rd line, though the 1st line is not "touched".
7. Do the UPGRADE on the 3rd line to a subsidized smartphone (you will need to add 2Gb data plan there yet again, and remove it later). Here is what it does:
a) You will get a new subsidized smartphone on the 3rd line
b) You will NOT lose unlimited data on the 1st line
c) The terms of your contract on the 1st line will be extended for 2 more years, though they will NOT be changed
d) You will pay $30 Verizon activation fee, which will NOT be refunded, since this is not a new line anymore
2nd line - old smartphone, a few months left on contract; unlimited data
3rd line - new smartphone I got in Step-7; 2-year contract per terms I got in Step-1, $30/month for 2Gb data
8. Switch 3rd line to the same basic phone you used in Step-3. Now the new smartphone you got in Step-7 is not linked to your account.
9. Drop data plan from the 3rd line again
10. Put the new smartphone you got in step-7 on line #2.
2nd line - new smartphone I got in Step-7, a few months left on contract; unlimited data; upgrade available
3rd line - basic phone, $10/month + FCC/taxes; no data plan; 2-year contract

Note that technically I can do the same exact process (steps 6-10) on the line #2 with the upgrade, which will give me an "extra" smartphone, though will extend the contract terms on the 2nd line for 2 years. It's possible to sell this phone on e-bay to recoup the cost of the 3rd line (I actually wanted the 3rd line with the basic phone for other reasons anyway, so it's a non-issue for me).

All of that was done in-store for me. The guy there knew all about it, and how to do it properly. It took about 30 minutes per new phone.

I didn't know you can add A line still without going to a family share .. Good to know

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2