How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon AND Get a Subsidized Phone if You Have a Family Plan

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Over on the android forum, there is a thread about this. Didn't see one here and see people talking about giving up unlimited data on Verizon - Nooooo!!!!

You have to either have a line that doesn't have unlimited data on it already, be willing to sacrifice unlimited data on one of the lines or add a line to your family plan and so your cost increase by about $13/mo after fees and taxes. But for a family plan of 2 people, adding a line will mean 3 subsidized phones in 20 months and you can sell the third one to recoup the costs of the added line. Here is how it works if you are adding a line:

1) Add a line to your family plan;
2) Buy a subsidized 4G LTE smartphone when you add the new line;
3) Add 2GB data plan for $30 a month on the new line;
4) Activate the new smartphone on the new line;
5) Activate a basic phone (or a ghost phone ESN = 13800000400) on the new line;
6) Choose pay per use as your data plan on the new line;
7) Get a new SIM card for the new 4G LTE smartphone to be on an unlimited data line and activate the new smartphone on this unlimited data line (ordering a new SIM card and activating the new smartphone on an unlimited data line can be done online);
8) Transfer the upgrade from an unlimited data line to the basic phone line (you can do this online once your upgrade is eligible);
9) Repeat Steps 2-7
10) Repeat Steps 8-9 using the upgrades for the other unlimited data lines on the family plan and sell one of the subsidized smartphones to recoup the cost of the added line.

Step 4 is crucial - you MUST activate the new smartphone on the new line first to keep unlimited data on the line you will switch the new smartphone to. Do NOT activate it on the unlimited data line before you activate it on the new line or you will lose unlimited data on that line.

The data plan drops off the basic line when you put a basic phone (or a ghost phone) on the basic line since you are choosing pay per use and not required to have a data plan on a line with a basic phone. You will be billed the entire $30 for the 2GB data plan for the month in which you do this, but will be credited back a prorated amount the next month from the time you put the basic phone on the new line. You can get the new SIM card at a Verizon store rather than ordering one online to speed up the process and reduce the prorated 2GB data plan charge.

The most unbelievable part of this is that when you do the transfer of the unlimited data line's upgrade to the new line and use the upgrade, it renews the unlimited data line's 2 year contract and resets the upgrade on that line for 20 months later. Yep, that is right, you renew your unlimited data for 2 years.

The only places you can do this are Verizon, Best Buy and Costco because all other 3rd party retailers will charge you a $400 fee if you drop the data plan on the new line. Verizon, Best Buy and Costco don't.

All of this can be done entirely online at verizonwireless.com.

Just want to point out NEVER put the ghost ESN or a basic phone on a line with unlimited data or you will lose unlimited data!

Last edited:

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that this ghost ESN works?
I can't, I just bought a used $13 basic phone off of amazon for my new line. It is actually nice to have an extra phone around. Some guy posted the ghost ESN on the android forum and I haven't tried it so it could be wrong. If you google it, you can see what other evidence there is that it works. If someone wasn't using the basic phone I have, I would try it. I lent the phone out but when I get it back, I will try it.

If I am paying for the extra line, I feel I might as well buy a cheap used phone and put it on it.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Why would a Verizon user be getting a SIM-card?

4G LTE technology uses a SIM card. 4G LTE is GSM-based technology as I understand it and thus requires a SIM card. The Verizon iPhone 5 has a SIM card in it that is active unlike the Verizon iPhone 4S which has a SIM card for when you unlock it for international GSM use, but Verizon does not use it.

This I know because my mom has had both the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 on our verizon account.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This was talked about long before iPhone 5 came out

And actually you can swap the line before actually activating it but you have to do it before ever turning on the phone but I don't want to confuse anybody just search the forums all the info is there

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
This is not news. This is what you would call a cross upgrade.
When you transfer an upgrade between lines, it's called an alternate upgrade.

If it is not news to you, that is great. But I assure you, there are others who don't know you can do this. I didn't know until I read it on the Android forum.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
And actually you can swap the line before actually activating it but you have to do it before ever turning on the phone but I don't want to confuse anybody just search the forums all the info is there
But what about the SIM card? I thought Verizon has the SIM card info associated with the phone number of the line and you can't just switch 4G LTE phones between lines without getting a new SIM card for the phone.

epicness4G

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
But what about the SIM card? I thought Verizon has the SIM card info associated with the phone number of the line and you can't just switch 4G LTE phones between lines without getting a new SIM card for the phone.

Verizon LTE SIM cards work just like any AT&T or t mobile SIM cards

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Verizon LTE SIM cards work just like any AT&T or t mobile SIM cards
Right, but my question is don't you have to have a SIM card that is associated with the phone number on the line? For instance, if you have a 4G LTE phone on line A, to put it on line B you need a SIM card that is associated with line B. You can't use the same SIM card you are using for line A and have the phone be associated with line B.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

The trick is don't turn on the phone the sim is a fresh sim until you turn it on if you call and swap the line before ever turning the phone on and using the sim you have then there is no need for another sim

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The trick is don't turn on the phone the sim is a fresh sim until you turn it on if you call and swap the line before ever turning the phone on and using the sim you have then there is no need for another sim
That is my understanding, too, but the problem you have with an unlimited data line is what happens when a subsidized phone is first activated on an unlimited data line? From the experiences of the people I know, what happens is that they kick you off of unlimited data because the system recognizes the upgrade as having been used by the line that the phone is first activated on.

It is as if the upgrade transfer was nullified.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Not what happen too me I used a alternate upgrade got the 5 on release day ship to my house didn't even open box called verizon said swap this phone from line A upgrade to my line B they did it I turn on phone it activated to line B and I kept my unlimited

Brought to you from my iPad 4 LTE routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers from Tapatalk !

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That explains it. They have made some changes to how their system works since then.

Ya apparently so but I guess you can always activate it swap it back to old phone and then move it and just go to apple and get a new sim .. A pain but possible lol

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
4G LTE technology uses a SIM card. 4G LTE is GSM-based technology as I understand it and thus requires a SIM card. The Verizon iPhone 5 has a SIM card in it that is active unlike the Verizon iPhone 4S which has a SIM card for when you unlock it for international GSM use, but Verizon does not use it.

This I know because my mom has had both the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 on our verizon account.
3G and lte have nothing to do with the gsm vs CDMA.

The sim slot on the Verizon phones is for international use, not stateside. The CDMA handles lte just fine on its own.

The inclusion of a sim slot has little to do with 3.5g lte as you understand it. It has to do with international lte bands being used on the CDMA phone. This is a pro for Verizon as their phone is more global and they can use that as a marketing tool. It also allows apple to sell the phone unlocked without harm. Verizon won't be using the sim so it's not as simple as buying the phone and changing carrier. They can't make the same decisions using the AT&T version of the phone. Locking it stateside and not internationally would be more of a headache.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox