Lack of Simultaneous Voice And Data - Verizon iPhone 5

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Accept of course, those who it does actually effect, like some people above posted.

Can't always get to a wifi spot when I need to send someone an email while on the phone with them (for work). It does happen.

If you need it why don't you switch to ATT ?

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Accept of course, those who it does actually effect, like some people above posted.

Can't always get to a wifi spot when I need to send someone an email while on the phone with them (for work). It does happen.
It happens EXCEPT to people who understand "need" versus "prefer."

The others were correct. It is a marketing gimmick designed to create a need where one simply doesn't exist.

Let's examine your scenario. You're nowhere near wifi, so you must clearly be on the move.
You're free to be sending emails, so we'll just assume you're not driving.
The email is an absolute must to send, you're not currently talking to the other party. Hanging up and redialing isn't going to ruin your situation.

I'm sure it can be convenient, although rarely. This does NOT constitute a "need."

I'm glad you're content with AT&T. Just keep in mind: The gorgeous girl that's grown accustomed to her dates telling her how ugly she is and that she'll never find another that'll treat her any better as a result also think manufactured reasons lend to rational thinking.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
It happens EXCEPT to people who understand "need" versus "prefer."

The others were correct. It is a marketing gimmick designed to create a need where one simply doesn't exist.

Let's examine your scenario. You're nowhere near wifi, so you must clearly be on the move.
You're free to be sending emails, so we'll just assume you're not driving.
The email is an absolute must to send, you're not currently talking to the other party. Hanging up and redialing isn't going to ruin your situation.

I'm sure it can be convenient, although rarely. This does NOT constitute a "need."

I'm glad you're content with AT&T. Just keep in mind: The gorgeous girl that's grown accustomed to her dates telling her how ugly she is and that she'll never find another that'll treat her any better as a result also think manufactured reasons lend to rational thinking.

So now I'm the girl who's being told she's ugly because she doesn't like <your favorite carrier>? Really? I mean.......really? Where the heck is this analogy going?

This is just getting silly. Almost as silly as smartphone OS wars. All I was stating was that assumption that "no one REALLY needs talk and data at the same time" (hey, we could make a pretty girl/demeaning boyfriend analogy out of that, too) is a poor blanket statement to make. That's all.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
So AT&T's FUD works on you??

I'm not on AT&T because of the aforementioned FUD, although I have used it several times and thankful that it's there.

I am on it because 1. I still have my unlimited data plan with them and 2. coverage with AT&T works fine for me.

Also, please see my last post about "are we really going to get into 'my carrier is better, and yours sucks!'" which is almost as bad as doing the same thing with smartphone OS's. I *thought* this site was more mature than that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not on AT&T because of the aforementioned FUD, although I have used it several times and thankful that it's there.

I am on it because 1. I still have my unlimited data plan with them and 2. coverage with AT&T works fine for me.

Also, please see my last post about "are we really going to get into 'my carrier is better, and yours sucks!'" which is almost as bad as doing the same thing with smartphone OS's. I *thought* this site was more mature than that.

Don't take it personally. Like any forum, people will post their opinions and replies to their interpretation of your comments. Nothing more. Unless the comments are a personal attack, take them as-is and be done with them. :)

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Don't take it personally. Like any forum, people will post their opinions and replies to their interpretation of your comments. Nothing more. Unless the comments are a personal attack, take them as-is and be done with them. :)

Point well taken.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
People are blaming Apple because it was their choice. Not everyone wants to support AT&T, nor are they the best carrier for everyone. Myself, I'm a little disappointed, but it has never bothered me on any prior phone, so why would I let it bother me on the iPhone?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So now I'm the girl who's being told she's ugly because she doesn't like <your favorite carrier>? Really? I mean.......really? Where the heck is this analogy going?

This is just getting silly. Almost as silly as smartphone OS wars. All I was stating was that assumption that "no one REALLY needs talk and data at the same time" (hey, we could make a pretty girl/demeaning boyfriend analogy out of that, too) is a poor blanket statement to make. That's all.

As you'd like to attack maturity. I'll take the time to explain your confusion to you.

You clearly stated the "need" to both talk and send an email at the same time was one of the reasons you chose AT&T. After pointing out that you misused the word "need," I made an analogy to show another absurd rationale.

You later gave one rational, and one irrational argument. The data plan makes sense. The coverage only matters if the other coverage does NOT meet the same need.

Honestly, I don't care which provider you use. I never stated which provider I use. My preferences have nothing to do with any of those factors. You're welcome to choose whatever factors you'd like. Stick with the carrier you're happiest with.

However, don't think that you can argue someone suggesting it's a need by saying "I need to." Your argument was purely "it's more convenient to." The two are NOT equitable.

Your inability to understand the links is not a statement on myself or Keith. It's just a further show that your comprehension skills that led to you believing you had a NEED for a CONVENIENCE also led you to misinterpret what was being said to you elsewhere.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
People are blaming Apple because it was their choice. Not everyone wants to support AT&T, nor are they the best carrier for everyone. Myself, I'm a little disappointed, but it has never bothered me on any prior phone, so why would I let it bother me on the iPhone?

It is, and isn't. It's not as simple as "Apple chose not to make it a possible feature."

In order to perform the task on the Verizon phone would require a second radio, powering the second radio, space in the phone for the second radio, pricing the units as a result. The pricing would be a nightmare in itself. Would they want to spread the cost across all phones, not just the Verizon phones? Would it be better to charge a few $ extra on the Verizon phone?

The phone is already tight on space. It would likely require a larger phone to provide the second radio. Could it be done? Sure.

I'm sure power could be restricted to only be used when using both services, similar to talk-time providing less battery life than idle-time.

When it comes to engineering design, those must all be considered versus not including the option until Verizon gets around to implementing it on their end. It's not inaccurate to say Apple made the choice. But, it's a bit misleading.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
As you'd like to attack maturity. I'll take the time to explain your confusion to you.

You clearly stated the "need" to both talk and send an email at the same time was one of the reasons you chose AT&T. After pointing out that you misused the word "need," I made an analogy to show another absurd rationale.

You later gave one rational, and one irrational argument. The data plan makes sense. The coverage only matters if the other coverage does NOT meet the same need.

Honestly, I don't care which provider you use. I never stated which provider I use. My preferences have nothing to do with any of those factors. You're welcome to choose whatever factors you'd like. Stick with the carrier you're happiest with.

However, don't think that you can argue someone suggesting it's a need by saying "I need to." Your argument was purely "it's more convenient to." The two are NOT equitable.

Your inability to understand the links is not a statement on myself or Keith. It's just a further show that your comprehension skills that led to you believing you had a NEED for a CONVENIENCE also led you to misinterpret what was being said to you elsewhere.

Fair enough. Then I'll restate my position as "Not having voice and data at the same time is an inconvenience that I am not willing to put up with, and has at least some effect as to which carrier I prefer"

Better?

_YoKolorMeBadd

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
There have been times when I've wanted to use data/voice (when I first switched to Verizon from T-Mobile). But I quickly got over it. Now I'm thinking when would I ever really need to use a feature like that???

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the posts. I didn't intend to start a flame war, but it is nice to see different perspectives.

zeteo

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I was with AT&T for quite a while, and never remember using the feature. I had a G, GS. 4, and 4S with them. In my area Verizon has LTE while no other carrier does. My wife and I both switched to VZW for the faster speeds. Neither of us find it difficult to hang up on a call do our web activity, then call back. I have an iPhone 5, my wife a 4S.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I was with AT&T for quite a while, and never remember using the feature. I had a G, GS. 4, and 4S with them. In my area Verizon has LTE while no other carrier does. My wife and I both switched to VZW for the faster speeds. Neither of us find it difficult to hang up on a call do our web activity, then call back. I have an iPhone 5, my wife a 4S.

Thanks for the input. Tips is probably a minor inconvenience. Marketing messes with your mind, doesn't it?😏

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering how often, if at all, this has been an issue for Verizon users.
Android user here, and I have this capability. I have used it on occasion, for instance, when I am shopping and I am talking on the phone and need to look something up because it has come up in conversation or because I am on a phone call and need to look something up about a product while shopping.

It is nice to have it, but I don't use it often and when I do, I usually have to tell the person I am speaking with to hold on while I look up what I am looking up online. It is hard to multi-task when you are a human and not a computer.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
In a year or two, it won't be an issue. In the meantime, Verizon is only option for LTE for me as well as much better coverage. So it's an easy decision. Having been a former AT&T customer for years, I did make use of it and do miss it on occasion but it's not a big deal.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner