Lack of Simultaneous Voice And Data - Verizon iPhone 5

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Just got my first ever iPhone this week from Verizon. One of the things that I struggled with when making this decision was the inability to talk and surf on LTE (I still can't figure out why Apple crippled this). I'm curious to ask those in the community on Verizon - has this been an issue for you at all? I had a 3G phone, and I don't recall this being a frequent issue, but I was disappointed that simultaneous voice and data would not work on Verizon LTE.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
For folks on Verizon, it has never been an issue because until recently, talk and surf is/was not possible via cellular on Verizon using CDMA - so people simply worked around it. Those who needed to surf on their phone while talking did so with wifi available, or used a data solution for surfing that didn't involve their phones. The "talk/surf" thing is nothing but a marketing ploy by AT&T. It has never been an issue for me - all the way back to the days when I had a Blackberry that couldn't talk&surf either.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got my first ever iPhone this week from Verizon. One of the things that I struggled with when making this decision was the inability to talk and surf on LTE (I still can't figure out why Apple crippled this). I'm curious to ask those in the community on Verizon - has this been an issue for you at all? I had a 3G phone, and I don't recall this being a frequent issue, but I was disappointed that simultaneous voice and data would not work on Verizon LTE.

Well if you are on the data network (3G) this is all true that you cannot do what you posted but you can however do it over WIFI. Jump on WIFI and talk and surf all you want. Have a great weekend.:)

EDIT: Once again Keith got me...:). I have to get quicker on the trigger!

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I realize that you can talk and surf if on WiFi. Just wondering how often, if at all, this has been an issue for Verizon users.

Does anyone know if the Verizon iPhone 5 will ever support VoLTE?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I realize that you can talk and surf if on WiFi. Just wondering how often, if at all, this has been an issue for Verizon users.

Verizon has to support VoLTE before Apple will update the iOS to support it. It's coming...

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Verizon has to support VoLTE before Apple will update the iOS to support it. It's coming...

Thanks! I'm hoping this is true. Apple probably won't ever use 2 radios, so this is likely the only way that we'll be able to use voice and data simultaneously on Verizon.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Well it is a drawback of iOS and a benefit of Android OS, yes they can to simultaneous voice/data on Verizon still we shouldn't have to wait for iOS and Apple to catch up to VoLTE when Verizon starts pushing it, and do we know for sure the current iPhone 5 can or will support it? Is it just a software patch or is it a radio design. I know not every Android phone does VoLTE out of the box so one has to ask the question of Apple. I know Verizon is pushing forward with moving to LTE only devices starting in 2014 this will supposedly make devices cheaper on their network since they won't have to pay for CDMA anymore and they can begin to migrate the old 3G network to other uses like more LTE and of course their is the AWS spectrum. Do we know if Apple has added support for the AWS frequencies in the new iP5S?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well since the Verizon iPhone 5 is the international model, I would assume it would only be a software update to tell the phone where to route the data and voice when Verizon gets VoLTE out the door. I personally have never found myself in a situation on the phone where I needed to use data to find something out.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I miss it as I switched from AT&T to verizon because the company pays for it. I was waiting for the LTE model and it was cheaper to switch than buy the 5 from AT&T. Anyways, once they implement voice over LTE, simultaneous voice and data will work.

Knowing apple, it'll require a new phone.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
It has never been an issue for me. Even when I was on an iPhone 3G with AT&T I never had an occasion when I wanted/needed to use both the voice and data networks at the same time.
Verizon knows. :cool:

Bakerboy2253

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I am coming from a HTC thunderbolt and yes I missed the voice/data at same time on Verizon. I travel on business a fair amount and really needed the ability to have a hotspot and talk. Well I ***** enough and Verizon through in a jetpack (mifi). Not really the solution, but it works. So if you’re main concern was to use for laptop hotspot, then talk with VZW, if you want to be on the phone and look at the web or check emails, guess you have to wait until you done talking.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty spoiled. My iPhone 5 is company paid for, and I also have a company paid 4G hotspot. I'm more concerned about times you're on the phone and have to look something up or send a quick email to the person you're talking to.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty spoiled. My iPhone 5 is company paid for, and I also have a company paid 4G hotspot. I'm more concerned about times you're on the phone and have to look something up or send a quick email to the person you're talking to.

When I left AT&T and went to Sprint when I purchased my first Android device, that was one of my fears, however, I made the change anyway and almost immediately realized that it was a non-issue and even to this day with my iPhone 5 on Verizon, it is still a non-issue. Keith is right, it is an AT&T marketing ploy that, in my opinion, won't affect the majority of users.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well it is a drawback of iOS and a benefit of Android OS, yes they can to simultaneous voice/data on Verizon still we shouldn't have to wait for iOS and Apple to catch up to VoLTE when Verizon starts pushing it, and do we know for sure the current iPhone 5 can or will support it? Is it just a software patch or is it a radio design. I know not every Android phone does VoLTE out of the box so one has to ask the question of Apple. I know Verizon is pushing forward with moving to LTE only devices starting in 2014 this will supposedly make devices cheaper on their network since they won't have to pay for CDMA anymore and they can begin to migrate the old 3G network to other uses like more LTE and of course their is the AWS spectrum. Do we know if Apple has added support for the AWS frequencies in the new iP5S?
It speaks nothing towards either OS.

It's hardware, not software.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
When I left AT&T and went to Sprint when I purchased my first Android device, that was one of my fears, however, I made the change anyway and almost immediately realized that it was a non-issue and even to this day with my iPhone 5 on Verizon, it is still a non-issue. Keith is right, it is an AT&T marketing ploy that, in my opinion, won't affect the majority of users.

Accept of course, those who it does actually effect, like some people above posted.

Can't always get to a wifi spot when I need to send someone an email while on the phone with them (for work). It does happen.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Accept of course, those who it does actually effect, like some people above posted.

Can't always get to a wifi spot when I need to send someone an email while on the phone with them (for work). It does happen.

You're right, but I did state that the "majority of users" wouldn't be affected. Of course, there are people who frequently use data & voice simultaneously. That is a given, however, I believe those users are low in numbers in comparison to those who have no real need for it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
All fine, well, and good... for those people who've been long time Verizon customers who really did have a need to be on the phone and have an ability to send an email while talking, and their only internet available was not hardwired or wifi - just cellular - those people on Verizon have data solutions at their disposal that do not involve their phone - as in some sort of mobile hotspot device, a cellular capable netbook, tablet, or cellular modem for a laptop. Talk & surf on a phone is a non issue for the tech savvy long-term Verizon customer... AT&T uses talk&surf as FUD... a way to incite fear, uncertainty, and doubt among "low-tech/low information" consumers.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen