I still wonder is the iPhone 5 is even capable of VoLTE.
    Should be capable as it seems it is on the network side only not network and handset. It seems the problem with VoLTE is the battery can not handle it.
    04-12-2013 12:23 AM
    It seems the problem with VoLTE is the battery can not handle it.
    The battery cannot handle 4G LTE data either for very long, so why would it handle VoLTE. But that only makes my point - the iPhone 5 will be out of date before VZW gets VoLTE.
    04-12-2013 12:52 AM
    The battery cannot handle 4G LTE data either for very long, so why would it handle VoLTE. But that only makes my point - the iPhone 5 will be out of date before VZW gets VoLTE.
    I have no problem using my phone on LTE throughout the day, I am not sure what you are using your phone for.
    04-12-2013 12:52 PM
    Verizon is supposedly still on track to deploy VoLTE later this year... and how you define "out of date" - yes, a newer iPhone will likely be out, but that in no way makes the present iPhone5 model "out of date" as it will still see iOS updates for quite some time to come. When iOS updates cease, that's when an iDevice is "out of date" - at least from my perspective.
    androidluvr2 likes this.
    04-12-2013 01:00 PM
    So AT&T's FUD works on you??
    What is FUD?
    04-12-2013 02:45 PM
    I have no problem using my phone on LTE throughout the day, I am not sure what you are using your phone for.
    If you stream music or video or are using the browser with the screen on quite a bit, it won't last through the day. Obviously, not the typical user, but for those of us who have unthrottled, unlimited data on Verizon, well, we can use it like that if we want to.
    04-12-2013 02:53 PM
    What is FUD?
    Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.... All being played by AT&T in their marketing in their adverts that bring up the subject of talk&surf.
    04-12-2013 02:57 PM
    Verizon is supposedly still on track to deploy VoLTE later this year... and how you define "out of date" - yes, a newer iPhone will likely be out, but that in no way makes the present iPhone5 model "out of date" as it will still see iOS updates for quite some time to come. When iOS updates cease, that's when an iDevice is "out of date" - at least from my perspective.
    I see your point. But I still think battery life is huge when you are talking about the shelf life of these devices.

If you mostly use the phone as a phone/texting device, the battery is fine. But as a hand-held computer, which is what these devices are to me, the battery life needs improvement. I think that is one reason Apple came out with the lightening chargers - they realized that heavy usage of the device's 4G LTE capabilities is going to take a toll on the battery life and they compensated by providing faster charging.

Then if you add VoLTE, further draining the battery, I foresee a problem with the device that is correctable with battery improvements but that is hardware, so it will be corrected in future models but uncorrectable in the current model - hence why I said out of date.

This is true for any 4G LTE device, btw, with the exception of the Razr Maxx and the Galaxy Note 2.
    04-12-2013 02:58 PM
    Sure AT&T is making the most of this, but it's not FUD. I switched to AT&T from Verizon before there was Droid. Just this week I decided to switch back to Verizon with the rest of my family because I'm tired of dropped calls in my living room. I got an iPhone 5, which I love, but because I tend to ignore commercials, it was a rude awakening to discover to my dismay during a professional phone conference that I can no longer look something up on the web or download an email when I'm talking. That meant I could not participate fully in the phonecon because I could not use the screenshare application. Don't tell me this isn't a problem because I can do it on wifi. There was no wifi in the doctor's office where I was doing the phone call while waiting for my daughter. Maybe if you've never used it, you won't miss it -- it is a *very* useful capability. It's almost enough to make me rethink switching from AT&T or not choosing a Droid. I like iOS, but not having the ability to talk and surf is going to be a real problem for me.
    06-10-2013 05:48 PM
    I have AT&T and it isn't a "feature" I ever use more than twice a year. Does it interrupt GPS navigation if a call comes in on VZW?
    06-15-2013 07:47 AM
    I have AT&T and it isn't a "feature" I ever use more than twice a year. Does it interrupt GPS navigation if a call comes in on VZW?
    Audio directions from the GPS app, yes... but you can go back to the screen fine.
    06-15-2013 07:59 AM
    That would probably be my only concern then. I use GPS a lot and tend to get calls while navigating. I would hate to have the navigation interrupted and end up missing a turn, although it is probably rare for that to happen.
    06-15-2013 08:07 AM
    If you use online map data (Apple Maps, Google, Scout, etc) then yes because voice take priority over data. If you use onboard map data (Garmin, TomTom, Navigon) then no because all the data is on the device.
    06-15-2013 10:15 AM
    Verizon has to support VoLTE before Apple will update the iOS to support it. It's coming...
    And when they do the HD Audio, wideband audio, will be available. Which was implemented in iPhone 5 but not available yet due to carrier restrictions.
    06-15-2013 10:41 AM
    I personally have not found this to be an issue yet. Let y'all know when it does if ever.
    06-16-2013 08:37 PM
    I personally have not found this to be an issue yet. Let y'all know when it does if ever.
    Agreed. I rarely talk on the phone for extended periods of time. If I do, the phone is against my head. I can't stand speaker phone, or ear buds for calls.
    06-16-2013 08:43 PM
    Lack of simultaneous voice data can be apparent when, for instance, trying to use a mapping program while talking or talking while any other data transferal is supposed to be happening. My wife has Verizon through her job and the rest of our family have AT&T.

The FindFriends app is a simple example of lack of simultaneous voice/data. When my wife is talking on her phone, FindFriends can not find her because her Verizon service can't handle both requests; so her location can't be tracked. If she were calling me because she's lost, or she can't find me, I can't see where she is and vice versa.

Same if she called me and was trying to access maps, or the web, or her email. At the same time.

AT&T can do both, but don't be fooled; when you are accessing data and talking at the same time, you're no longer on LTE; AT&T drops back to 4G at those times. That's not necessarily too bad a thing. AT&T dropback from LTE is certainly faster than Verizon's 3G, which is painfully show.

All that said, I would go Verizon, all things being equal (which they aren't; I still have unlimited AT&T data). Verizon's LTE coverage for data is excellent and covers much, much more of the North American landscape that does AT&T. When we recently vacationed, just a mile off the main highway in North Carolina, I had to rent a Verizon hotspot just to be able to use my AT&T iphone5 for data; it was useless for phone calls, except for VoIP on Vonage.
    06-17-2013 08:19 AM
67 123