So AT&T's FUD works on you??
    I'm not on AT&T because of the aforementioned FUD, although I have used it several times and thankful that it's there.

I am on it because 1. I still have my unlimited data plan with them and 2. coverage with AT&T works fine for me.

Also, please see my last post about "are we really going to get into 'my carrier is better, and yours sucks!'" which is almost as bad as doing the same thing with smartphone OS's. I *thought* this site was more mature than that.
    04-08-2013 01:47 PM
    I'm not on AT&T because of the aforementioned FUD, although I have used it several times and thankful that it's there.

I am on it because 1. I still have my unlimited data plan with them and 2. coverage with AT&T works fine for me.

Also, please see my last post about "are we really going to get into 'my carrier is better, and yours sucks!'" which is almost as bad as doing the same thing with smartphone OS's. I *thought* this site was more mature than that.
    Don't take it personally. Like any forum, people will post their opinions and replies to their interpretation of your comments. Nothing more. Unless the comments are a personal attack, take them as-is and be done with them.
    kch50428 likes this.
    04-08-2013 02:02 PM
    Don't take it personally. Like any forum, people will post their opinions and replies to their interpretation of your comments. Nothing more. Unless the comments are a personal attack, take them as-is and be done with them.
    Point well taken.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-08-2013 02:06 PM
    People are blaming Apple because it was their choice. Not everyone wants to support AT&T, nor are they the best carrier for everyone. Myself, I'm a little disappointed, but it has never bothered me on any prior phone, so why would I let it bother me on the iPhone?
    04-08-2013 02:31 PM
    So now I'm the girl who's being told she's ugly because she doesn't like <your favorite carrier>? Really? I mean.......really? Where the heck is this analogy going?

This is just getting silly. Almost as silly as smartphone OS wars. All I was stating was that assumption that "no one REALLY needs talk and data at the same time" (hey, we could make a pretty girl/demeaning boyfriend analogy out of that, too) is a poor blanket statement to make. That's all.

As you'd like to attack maturity. I'll take the time to explain your confusion to you.

You clearly stated the "need" to both talk and send an email at the same time was one of the reasons you chose AT&T. After pointing out that you misused the word "need," I made an analogy to show another absurd rationale.

You later gave one rational, and one irrational argument. The data plan makes sense. The coverage only matters if the other coverage does NOT meet the same need.

Honestly, I don't care which provider you use. I never stated which provider I use. My preferences have nothing to do with any of those factors. You're welcome to choose whatever factors you'd like. Stick with the carrier you're happiest with.

However, don't think that you can argue someone suggesting it's a need by saying "I need to." Your argument was purely "it's more convenient to." The two are NOT equitable.

Your inability to understand the links is not a statement on myself or Keith. It's just a further show that your comprehension skills that led to you believing you had a NEED for a CONVENIENCE also led you to misinterpret what was being said to you elsewhere.
    04-08-2013 03:00 PM
    People are blaming Apple because it was their choice. Not everyone wants to support AT&T, nor are they the best carrier for everyone. Myself, I'm a little disappointed, but it has never bothered me on any prior phone, so why would I let it bother me on the iPhone?
    It is, and isn't. It's not as simple as "Apple chose not to make it a possible feature."

In order to perform the task on the Verizon phone would require a second radio, powering the second radio, space in the phone for the second radio, pricing the units as a result. The pricing would be a nightmare in itself. Would they want to spread the cost across all phones, not just the Verizon phones? Would it be better to charge a few $ extra on the Verizon phone?

The phone is already tight on space. It would likely require a larger phone to provide the second radio. Could it be done? Sure.

I'm sure power could be restricted to only be used when using both services, similar to talk-time providing less battery life than idle-time.

When it comes to engineering design, those must all be considered versus not including the option until Verizon gets around to implementing it on their end. It's not inaccurate to say Apple made the choice. But, it's a bit misleading.
    04-08-2013 03:08 PM
    As you'd like to attack maturity. I'll take the time to explain your confusion to you.

You clearly stated the "need" to both talk and send an email at the same time was one of the reasons you chose AT&T. After pointing out that you misused the word "need," I made an analogy to show another absurd rationale.

You later gave one rational, and one irrational argument. The data plan makes sense. The coverage only matters if the other coverage does NOT meet the same need.

Honestly, I don't care which provider you use. I never stated which provider I use. My preferences have nothing to do with any of those factors. You're welcome to choose whatever factors you'd like. Stick with the carrier you're happiest with.

However, don't think that you can argue someone suggesting it's a need by saying "I need to." Your argument was purely "it's more convenient to." The two are NOT equitable.

Your inability to understand the links is not a statement on myself or Keith. It's just a further show that your comprehension skills that led to you believing you had a NEED for a CONVENIENCE also led you to misinterpret what was being said to you elsewhere.
    Fair enough. Then I'll restate my position as "Not having voice and data at the same time is an inconvenience that I am not willing to put up with, and has at least some effect as to which carrier I prefer"

Better?
    04-08-2013 03:26 PM
    For someone harping on maturity, it seems like an odd factor in decision making.
    04-08-2013 04:16 PM
    There have been times when I've wanted to use data/voice (when I first switched to Verizon from T-Mobile). But I quickly got over it. Now I'm thinking when would I ever really need to use a feature like that???
    04-08-2013 07:48 PM
    Thanks for all the posts. I didn't intend to start a flame war, but it is nice to see different perspectives.
    04-08-2013 11:03 PM
    I was with AT&T for quite a while, and never remember using the feature. I had a G, GS. 4, and 4S with them. In my area Verizon has LTE while no other carrier does. My wife and I both switched to VZW for the faster speeds. Neither of us find it difficult to hang up on a call do our web activity, then call back. I have an iPhone 5, my wife a 4S.
    bunjy likes this.
    04-08-2013 11:35 PM
    I was with AT&T for quite a while, and never remember using the feature. I had a G, GS. 4, and 4S with them. In my area Verizon has LTE while no other carrier does. My wife and I both switched to VZW for the faster speeds. Neither of us find it difficult to hang up on a call do our web activity, then call back. I have an iPhone 5, my wife a 4S.
    Thanks for the input. Tips is probably a minor inconvenience. Marketing messes with your mind, doesn't it?😏
    04-09-2013 07:58 PM
    the inability to talk and surf on LTE (I still can't figure out why Apple crippled this).
    Here is Anandtech's explanation

AnandTech | Why the iPhone 5 Lacks Support for Simultaneous Voice and LTE or EVDO (SVLTE, SVDO)
    04-09-2013 08:44 PM
    Just wondering how often, if at all, this has been an issue for Verizon users.
    Android user here, and I have this capability. I have used it on occasion, for instance, when I am shopping and I am talking on the phone and need to look something up because it has come up in conversation or because I am on a phone call and need to look something up about a product while shopping.

It is nice to have it, but I don't use it often and when I do, I usually have to tell the person I am speaking with to hold on while I look up what I am looking up online. It is hard to multi-task when you are a human and not a computer.
    04-09-2013 08:57 PM
    In a year or two, it won't be an issue. In the meantime, Verizon is only option for LTE for me as well as much better coverage. So it's an easy decision. Having been a former AT&T customer for years, I did make use of it and do miss it on occasion but it's not a big deal.
    LCW likes this.
    04-09-2013 09:16 PM
    Chalk me up to the "nice to have but not essential" camp.

I was AT&T for years with iPhones. I have used the talk and surf on occasion, but I'm guess half the time I was probably near a wifi hotspot anyways. I can see it being a bigger deal for folks that use their iphones for conference calls for work. But on a personal level, while nice, I had way more to gain in switching to Verizon in my area. I'm in the sticks of northern MN, but we have Verizon LTE. I wouldn't hold my breath for AT&T LTE up here any time soon. AT&T still has EDGE for god sake in many non-metro areas still.
    04-09-2013 09:19 PM
    Well if you are on the data network (3G) this is all true that you cannot do what you posted but you can however do it over WIFI. Jump on WIFI and talk and surf all you want. Have a great weekend.

EDIT: Once again Keith got me.... I have to get quicker on the trigger!
    Actually some of the HTC phones like the Thunderbolt allowed the user to talk/surf over 3G. It can be done if the company is willing to allow it. I believe Apple did not offer this due to it being something new and could cause a bad user experience. I am not sure if it is just with the iPhone but I am on AT&T and and on a phone call, I can not use the data fast enough to transfer money from banking app. It always times out, when I am surfing the web it is very slow. It sucks sometimes being on a call with ordering or billing and having to tell them you have to call back because moving money from another account is taking longer than you anticipated.
    04-11-2013 01:17 PM
    The iPhone 5 doesn't have a third antenna to allow simultaneous voice and data. VoLTE will alleviate it.
    04-11-2013 09:07 PM
    I needed it today. My work phone is a iphone 5 and I was on the phone today and needed an email corrected and sent back to me but was not able to view it at the same time. Hung up and called him back with my personal phone and then was able to view the corrections to the email on my iphone 5. I could have said I switched to my ATT phone and did both but I made my point.
    04-11-2013 10:51 PM
    I needed it today. My work phone is a iphone 5 and I was on the phone today and needed an email corrected and sent back to me but was not able to view it at the same time. Hung up and called him back with my personal phone and then was able to view the corrections to the email on my iphone 5. I could have said I switched to my ATT phone and did both but I made my point.
    I just realized that I like to wifi tether my laptop to my phone (it's an android) and if I am doing that and receive a call, then I would get kicked off of data if I were doing it with the iPhone 5.
    04-11-2013 11:07 PM
    The iPhone 5 doesn't have a third antenna to allow simultaneous voice and data. VoLTE will alleviate it.
    What is the ETA of VoLTE?
    04-11-2013 11:08 PM
    What is the ETA of VoLTE?
    There is no ETA as of yet, it will come as LTE gets enhanced over time.
    04-11-2013 11:36 PM
    There is no ETA as of yet, it will come as LTE gets enhanced over time.
    My guess is that the iPhone 5 will be out of date by the time Verizon converts to VoLTE.
    04-11-2013 11:38 PM
    I still wonder is the iPhone 5 is even capable of VoLTE.
    04-12-2013 12:05 AM
    I still wonder is the iPhone 5 is even capable of VoLTE.
    If it is capable of LTE, it is capable of VoLTE. The hardware limitation only affects whether or not it can transmit/receive LTE. Everything else would be software and so updatable.
    04-12-2013 12:09 AM
67 123