The LTE pulls in more data to give you those fast speeds. That's why people use more data on LTE. Verizon switching plans and leaving that little tidbit out is sweet. Kinda like running your garden hose. Open the faucet half way that's 3G. Now open it all the way. That's LTE. More data flowing for the same end result.
    This.

I think a lot of people are in for a surprise once they start getting charged for data overages.
    06-17-2012 04:42 PM
    The LTE pulls in more data to give you those fast speeds. That's why people use more data on LTE. Verizon switching plans and leaving that little tidbit out is sweet. Kinda like running your garden hose. Open the faucet half way that's 3G. Now open it all the way. That's LTE. More data flowing for the same end result.
    I'm not completely sure I'm buying this... yes, the pipe is bigger so there's more data flowing through the pipe... but it flows for less time. If the data flows at twice the 3G rate, in theory, it should only flow for half the duration.

What am I missing?
    06-17-2012 06:06 PM
    Isn't the "overcharge" for additional data on $10 a gig? I was expecting something ridiculous (like the 45 cents a minute after your allotted minutes).

I don't know anyone with a 4G device. I'd be anxious to see how much data they use on 4G vs 3G.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    06-17-2012 06:42 PM
    Am I missing something ? If I download a 1 Gb movie it will take half the time on 4g as it does on 3G but ultimately it's still 1Gb. So how does 4G increase my data usage? In your hose example: if I need a full bucket, either way I get a bucket, but with 4g I get it in less time. But it's still just 1 bucket. No?

Sent from my iPhone -Tapatalk
    Last edited by fmflex; 06-17-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    06-17-2012 06:57 PM
    I was doing a little research on this 4G vs 3G and data usage. I found this thread over at MacRumors and it does a great job of explaining everything: How does 4G use more data thread - MacRumors Forums.

For those of you who don't want to read the thread - usage between 3G and 4G should basically be the same (some sites may render in HD which would use more data). The only thing is, with 4G everything, since everything is so much faster, it encourages more clicking/browsing which will obviously use more data.
    06-17-2012 07:54 PM
    I was doing a little research on this 4G vs 3G and data usage. I found this thread over at MacRumors and it does a great job of explaining everything: How does 4G use more data thread - MacRumors Forums.

For those of you who don't want to read the thread - usage between 3G and 4G should basically be the same (some sites may render in HD which would use more data). The only thing is, with 4G everything, since everything is so much faster, it encourages more clicking/browsing which will obviously use more data.
    ... and this I will accept... if it's that much faster, I will definitely use it more, and thereby use more data.
    06-17-2012 08:31 PM
    I found this online, so if anyone has any questions, this site answers a few.

Most importantly:

Q: I'm a current Verizon customer with a 3G phone, but I need faster data downloads. Do I have to go to a new plan if I upgrade to a 4G phone?

A: No, you can keep your old plan. However, if you have an unlimited data plan, you'll be paying full price for that spiffy new 4G phone, as mentioned above.
    06-21-2012 10:40 AM
    Great find, Laura! This was a huge help for me!! It's good to receive additional confirmation of what I've been hearing. I'm probably going to end up switching my family plan to share everything early next year anyway.

06-21-2012 01:19 PM
    I'm hoping I can use my sisters upgrade who already is on a tiered data plan then do a esn swap to my line to avoid buying the phone at full retail to keep my unlimited data although I know this will be a one time thing unless I only use her line to upgrade lol

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    06-22-2012 02:08 PM
    I'm hoping I can use my sisters upgrade who already is on a tiered data plan then do a esn swap to my line to avoid buying the phone at full retail to keep my unlimited data although I know this will be a one time thing unless I only use her line to upgrade lol

That's not a bad idea! I might try that as well when it's time to get my BB10 device, since it now appears I'm gonna have to pay retail.
    06-22-2012 03:20 PM
    Let me know if it works cuz I won't try till oct lol

06-22-2012 03:23 PM
    And today is the day .. Unlimited starts to die lol

06-28-2012 02:50 PM
    I looked into the Share Everything today - it would cost me a few dollars more than what i pay(which included our 22% discount BTW) now AND our data usage would then be limited to 10gb's for all 5 phones. Its probably do-able for us, but why change my unlimited while i can still have that and risk going over.....
    06-28-2012 05:09 PM
    I looked into the Share Everything today - it would cost me a few dollars more than what i pay(which included our 22% discount BTW) now AND our data usage would then be limited to 10gb's for all 5 phones. Its probably do-able for us, but why change my unlimited while i can still have that and risk going over.....
    I checked my plan options... what their "calculator" suggested was about $10 more... the only advantage to it would be the 'free' mobile hotspot that would cost me $20/month if I added it to my existing plan... I'm going to keep what I got for now.
    06-28-2012 05:34 PM
    I checked my plan options... what their "calculator" suggested was about $10 more... the only advantage to it would be the 'free' mobile hotspot that would cost me $20/month if I added it to my existing plan... I'm going to keep what I got for now.

Yea, the only additional advantage i'd gain is the mobile hotspot as well...and none of us NEVER use it, so really it wouldnt be feasible for us to switch plans either.

i'll hang onto what i've got for as long as possible till we absolutely have to change over. In the meantime, i found it amusing - yesterday i rec'd a tx from VzW telling me i'm eligible for my 'early' upgrade...included in the message was a reminder that theres a $30 upgrade fee Ummmmm no, idts!! i'll pass thanks!!
    06-29-2012 07:42 AM
    I found a onetime loop hole to keep my unlimited for iPhone 5 woo hoo lol

06-29-2012 10:52 PM
    Pel, care to share haha?

06-30-2012 01:44 AM
    Simple use someone else's upgrade besides yours .. You only loose your data if you sign a new contract for the line you want your unlimited data on ..

if my case my sis has a upgrade but she is already on a 2 gig for 30 plan not unlimited so me using her upgrade don't effect her data and I just add the new discounted phone to my number keeping my current unlimited data ..

Catch is if I ever use or anyone uses my upgrade re signing my contract I lose my data

But as you see it will only work so long unless I never use my upgrade and always use my sisters or someone else's causing them to lose there unlimited data

06-30-2012 02:04 AM
    Simple use someone else's upgrade besides yours .. You only loose your data if you sign a new contract for the line you want your unlimited data on ..

if my case my sis has a upgrade but she is already on a 2 gig for 30 plan not unlimited so me using her upgrade don't effect her data and I just add the new discounted phone to my number keeping my current unlimited data ..

Catch is if I ever use or anyone uses my upgrade re signing my contract I lose my data

But as you see it will only work so long unless I never use my upgrade and always use my sisters or someone else's causing them to lose there unlimited data

Doesn't this keep your sister from ever getting an upgrade herself?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    06-30-2012 10:34 AM
    Doesn't this keep your sister from ever getting an upgrade herself?

No she can use another upgrade on the account as long as it is not my line and she don't upgrade often I just actually got her a iPhone a couple months ago

06-30-2012 11:18 AM
    No she can use another upgrade on the account as long as it is not my line and she don't upgrade often I just actually got her a iPhone a couple months ago

Oh, that is good. At least you don't have to worry about losing your unlimited data plan. Btw, you bought her an iPhone? Sounds like your sister has a nice brother.

06-30-2012 02:07 PM
    I thought Verizon was doing away with their individual data plans, however, I am still seeing them here on their website.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
    06-30-2012 08:55 PM
    I thought Verizon was doing away with their individual data plans, however, I am still seeing them here on their website.

Click to view quoted image

I thought the same thing too initially when the share plan was introduced but I spoke with a number of Verizon's CS reps and they stated the individual data plans would stay intact...for now.
    07-01-2012 01:34 AM

Click to view quoted image

Not if you are already a customer .. New customer don't get those plans

07-01-2012 02:56 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD