Verizon's grandfathered unlimited data plans ending soon

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I know on 3G, VZ would throttle after 2GBs if the tower you are on was under heavy traffic. AT&T would throttle everyone after 3G who were still on the grandfathered unlimited plan.

I read that AT&T was upping the throttle starting point to 5Gbs for iPhones on LTE, has anyone heard what, if any, changes Verizon made to their policy?

I get throttled pretty much every time. My data speeds are extremely slow once I get past a gig of data which doesn't take me long at all.

plt3121MarineAlways

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a question are most of you using your phone off wifi while at home? I guess since I don't have the 5 yet I can't tell any speed issue while on wifi. I've heard it's major from wifi to LTE. I don't know that yet personally.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a question are most of you using your phone off wifi while at home? I guess since I don't have the 5 yet I can't tell any speed issue while on wifi. I've heard it's major from wifi to LTE. I don't know that yet personally.

I use wifi 90 percent of the time and I'm on unlimited I use wifi because it saves battery vs using LTE non stop .. It is nice being out and about and getting the speed as if I was on wifi

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My wifi is uverse I get 15 to 20 down normally my Lte is a bit faster but not much

Beamed from my iPad 2 routed and bouncing across the globe on multiple servers and brought to you using Tapatalk !

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I don't have a computer or wifi at home and the wifi at work is monitored by IS and everything is blocked. I can't stream anything over hospital wifi. I have to use data if I want to watch Netflix or stream Sirius.

Dell Griffin

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
AT&T will probably follow suit, but at least I'm on a 4G LTE, unlimited plan at the moment. Verizon, unlike AT&T didn't allow 3G unlimited users on to 4G LTE unlimited.

I beg to differ. I upgraded March 2010 to the Thunderbolt with 4G and kept my unlimited plan. The battery was so poor (even with 4G deactivated) that I turned it in for an iPhone4 all the while keeping my unlimited data plan.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I beg to differ. I upgraded March 2010 to the Thunderbolt with 4G and kept my unlimited plan. The battery was so poor (even with 4G deactivated) that I turned it in for an iPhone4 all the while keeping my unlimited data plan.

What are you begging To differ with?
You went from a 4g device to a 3G device.

I have heard that Verizon would not allow people to keep grandfathered unlimited data if they switched from a 3G device to an lte device, however I have made 4 phone calls in the last three months specifically asking this and have been told I wouldn't lose my unlimited data if I paid full price for a phone regardless of the capabilities...
So I'm still not sure

williambacky

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I paid full price for 3 of the phones on my account to keep unlimited data. Nice thing too if you pay full price and want to add tethering for $30 extra each month you get unlimited tethering too. My data has tripled with LTE so I am happy I kept my unlimited data.

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I have up my unlimited data when I got my iphone 5 and I do not regret it. I traded "unlimited data" which no one uses it just sounds good for a shared everything plan with something I do use often UNLIMITED talk and text. I have yet to come close to going over my 4 gb plan shared on 3 devices. I guess if you tether all day download 10 movies and a few albums every single day unlimited is you you. I talk on my PHONE so that talk and text was better for me.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I paid full price for 3 of the phones on my account to keep unlimited data. Nice thing too if you pay full price and want to add tethering for $30 extra each month you get unlimited tethering too. My data has tripled with LTE so I am happy I kept my unlimited data.

Far as I know, tethering is NOT unlimited - you may want to review your terms & conditions and confirm before getting a "sticker shock" bill...

Droidrage729

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Also I rarely find myself in situation that would cause me to absolutely require me to tether. I think my power was out once and I used it for my laptop.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
so when my upgrade is available this summer, are they going to drop my unlimited data no matter what phone i get (even if i don't get a new device)? I don't fully understand how this works.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
so when my upgrade is available this summer, are they going to drop my unlimited data no matter what phone i get (even if i don't get a new device)? I don't fully understand how this works.

If you are going to upgrade to a new device, they are likely going to try very hard to get you to switch over to one of their share everything plans which aren't really all that bad, in my opinion, but if you aren't going to upgrade or anything, you will most likely keep being billed as you currently are until they decide to discard "all" unlimited plans.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
see that's what i don't want is one of those share everything plans. i just have a single line and that's it. from looking at the pricing, it only seems worth it if i have more than one line on my account. I may just hang on to my 4S for another 2 years or try out that new t-mobile iphone with no contract.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
see that's what i don't want is one of those share everything plans. i just have a single line and that's it. from looking at the pricing, it only seems worth it if i have more than one line on my account. I may just hang on to my 4S for another 2 years or try out that new t-mobile iphone with no contract.
I understand and I agree that it would be wise to shop around to find what gives YOU the best bang for the buck. Take care and have a great day, sir...:)

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I understand and I agree that it would be wise to shop around to find what gives YOU the best bang for the buck. Take care and have a great day, sir...:)

So i just went through apples website like i was going to upgrade to the iphone 5 and it still let me choose all the same options i currently have or I could choose one of the share everything plans. I'm glad to see that, especially after looking at the pricing for one of the share everything plans, it's a total ripoff for me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So i just went through apples website like i was going to upgrade to the iphone 5 and it still let me choose all the same options i currently have or I could choose one of the share everything plans. I'm glad to see that, especially after looking at the pricing for one of the share everything plans, it's a total ripoff for me.

I hear ya, and I'm glad that when you do decide to upgrade, you will be able to maintain your status quo. Take care..:)

williambacky

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Far as I know, tethering is NOT unlimited - you may want to review your terms & conditions and confirm before getting a "sticker shock" bill...

If you pay the fee they allow you to have tethering on a non data share plan. With that according to the website and the rep on the phone it uses the data allowance that is on your phone. If you have unlimited with the additional fee you get unlimited tethering if you have a 5gb non share your limited to the 5gb.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative