Verizon's grandfathered unlimited data plans ending soon

clbond78

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
stop trying to get over!!!!!!!!

I've been reading a lot of the responses about Verizon doing away with the unlimited plans and I'm over all the complaining. I'm not saying that there's not is a decent amount of greed involved. But let's be serious, the bottom line is someone is going to try to get over. It's either us or them simple and plain. Verizon is in the position as far as rank and price based off one thing....quality! No other competion has nearly the lay out and legitamite coverage of LTE 4G than Verizon. All the others are going all in anyway they can to get customers in without overly affecting their network quality. Sprint and T Mobile only offer what they offer cause they don't have the numbers as far as customers as AT&T and Verizon. If they did, trust me, they would have to follow similar suits. Until the competion gap tightens up, all the other companies will over promise and under deliver. Verizon regardless if you like it or not most of the time stick to thier guns to maintain profit margins to stay miles ahead of the others. That backs up the quality of the service and the highest price. At this point, no one will catch up if they're sacrificing and curbing plans to beg for business. They may recieve some new bites, but the churn is affected when people find out the hard way a lot of cheaper providers have lower standard service, longer times to wait for upcoming improvements, and many realize they don't mind paying extra for better options and better piece of mind.

The next part of this issue is people need to stop assuming all these companies are stupid. Yeah, they may take time to structure and adjust to propose and proper action, but they know how bad people go out their way to abuse the system. When I see people complaining about this cause they use their phone for home internet and tv, I'm like....."And you wonder why the hell they are tiering things!!!!!". Obviously if phone carriers was to comfortably provide so much data and internet, why have cable??? No way will the cable companies allow that kind of power and capabilties and just fade away. If phone companies was able to give every one unlimited data without affected coverage, cable would run to goverment to step in to avoid a possible monopoly as fast and the purposed AT&T and T Mobile merger (duh!).

In the end, it's pretty clear and dry. Everyone want to drink from the well. Us as consumer need to adjust and budget behind the rules without going out our way to bend them or these changes will only get worse. We have to start playing fair or they never will. Stop trying to use your phone as a cable company. If you love using your phone that much, find other means in your lifestyle that you can possibly curb or spendless money on and balance out. No matter if it's businesses or goverment, there will be rules to a system, and there will always be someone to bend, manipulate, and take unffair advantage of the rules and privliges. At some point they get caught on to, when that happens do the ones of those action pay the price??? No, we all do:(.... You don't have to like the game, but respect the game and play fair;)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
True. But that is capitalism at its finest. Charge the consumer as much as they are willing to spend. Want to screw the carriers? Don't buy phones that require a data plan. Ahhhh, sometimes I miss the simplicity of my old flip phone.

Very true with an emphasis on "willing to spend". Today's consumers appear more willing than those from days passed. Companies are more willing to push the boundaries with so many people desperately trying to "keep up with the Jones'". Heck, there are elementary school kids walking around with smartphones. The U.S. is very image driven and too many of us will do everything in our power including go broke trying to buy iPhones, iPads, MacBook Pro and the like just to be accepted among the "in" crowd and no wonder companies take advantage of us.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If the whole model of cell phone industry pricing were so great... CableTV providers would be giving away and/or selling at great discount from retail - TVs with extended service agreements for programming... people should just buy phones at retail... then make a deal with a provider - month to month for a certain price... or a contract for a lower monthly fee depending on contract duration.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Very true with an emphasis on "willing to spend". Today's consumers appear more willing than those from days passed. Companies re more willing to push the boundaries with so many people desperately trying to "keep up with the Jones'". Heck, there are elementary school kids walking around with smartphones. The U.S. is very image driven and too many of us will do everything in our power including go broke trying to buy iPhones, iPads, MacBook Pro and the like just to be accepted among the "in" crowd and no wonder companies take advantage of us.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Agree on the image driven aspect of our society. It is fascinating that some people will spend more on their cell phone plan per month than they do on food and clothing. What's for dinner tonight? Mac and cheese. :D

Reactions: Just_Me_D

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Very true with an emphasis on "willing to spend". Today's consumers appear more willing than those from days passed. Companies re more willing to push the boundaries with so many people desperately trying to "keep up with the Jones'". Heck, there are elementary school kids walking around with smartphones. The U.S. is very image driven and too many of us will do everything in our power including go broke trying to buy iPhones, iPads, MacBook Pro and the like just to be accepted among the "in" crowd and no wonder companies take advantage of us.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

I don't mean to stray too much off subject here but being you commented on elementary school kids with smart phones now a days......I can't begin to tell you how many kids in the elementary up to 8th grade have iPhones, droids and the very small droplet of blackberrys. The whole keeping up with the Jones happens here indeed.

As for the article I read about purchasing a 4G/lte device outright and keeping the grandfathered unltd data plan, that can indeed get very pricey-upwards any where of $500+ per device. I for one, will not drop that amount of money on a phone, I personally feel its an insane amount to spend whether the funds are do-able or not. But to each his own on what they will do with their own money. I just see that as another way for the cell provider to make a mound of money. Sure it's great you won't be locked into a 2 yr contract, but the money either paying it thru their "shared" data plans they'll push on you if you purchase a 4G device under discount or no contract paying full price is just as bad.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to stray too much off subject here but being you commented on elementary school kids with smart phones now a days......I can't begin to tell you how many kids in the elementary up to 8th grade have iPhones, droids and the very small droplet of blackberrys. The whole keeping up with the Jones happens here indeed.
I hear you, my friend. In Orlando, what you described is definitely the norm, but not here in Winston Salem, NC.

As for the article I read about purchasing a 4G/lte device outright and keeping the grandfathered unltd data plan, that can indeed get very pricey-upwards any where of $500+ per device. I for one, will not drop that amount of money on a phone, I personally feel its an insane amount to spend whether the funds are do-able or not. But to each his own on what they will do with their own money. I just see that as another way for the cell provider to make a mound of money. Sure it's great you won't be locked into a 2 yr contract, but the money either paying it thru their "shared" data plans they'll push on you if you purchase a 4G device under discount or no contract paying full price is just as bad.
Again, I hear you loud and clear, Pink and believe me, you're not alone in your thinking. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

hodie63

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
End of Grandfather

I spoke to a Manager at our corporate VZW store, and was basically told the same story. I have a line due now for upgrade so i played dumb and asked the question about upgrading to 4G/LTE he said my line thats is ready now i could upgrade and still have the unlimited data for 4g, but on my next line that is not due until november he said i wolud have to have the data plan and said it would be 4gb for $30. So my thought is to upgrade now so i can at least get 1 line of unlimited 4G before they pull the trigger. Although 4gb for $30 is not to bad for my purposes . So i am on the fence. But it is getting shorter.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok if you pay full price what about us iPhone users that's not on 4G? Can I still buy a 4G phone outright and keep my unlimited plan?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok if you pay full price what about us iPhone users that's not on 4G? Can I still buy a 4G phone outright and keep my unlimited plan?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

It is my understanding that if you are already on an unlimited data plan AND you buy an LTE smartphone outright at a non-contract / non-discount rate you will be able to keep your unlimited data plan.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
VZW, AT&T and Sprint have all come out recently and complained about how the high subsidize cost for the iPhone is eating into their profit. What would be a better way of eliminating that cost than by threatening to eliminate "unlimited data" for those who don't buy the phone at full retail? This policy is expected to go into effect this summer, right around the time that a new iPhone with what we all presume to have LTE capabilities is released.... Coincidence? I think not!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
VZW, AT&T and Sprint have all come out recently and complained about how the high subsidize cost for the iPhone is eating into their profit. What would be a better way of eliminating that cost than by threatening to eliminate "unlimited data" for those who don't buy the phone at full retail? This policy is expected to go into effect this summer, right around the time that a new iPhone with what we all presume to have LTE capabilities is released.... Coincidence? I think not!

I am calling BS on this one... not saying that what you are saying didn't happen... it's more likely that the providers are talking out of both sides of their mounts, in an effort to create FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt)... but there's THIS out today where Sprint is offering a $100 trade-in on new iPhone 4S devices... so where's the logic in giving the customer ANOTHER $100 off on the purchase of a device that they are already losing lots of money on? As I said, B.S.

Sprint to offer $100 towards iPhone 4S upon trade-in | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually looking forward to it. Both me and my wife have iPhones and average 2GBs a month between us. We both would like to trade off our wifi iPads for cellular versions but are not going to pay another $30 a pop for data. Give me a bucket at $8/GB and I'm sold. My stepsons been wanting an iPhone and it would be fine but again, not paying another $30/month.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I am calling BS on this one... not saying that what you are saying didn't happen... it's more likely that the providers are talking out of both sides of their mounts, in an effort to create FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt)... but there's THIS out today where Sprint is offering a $100 trade-in on new iPhone 4S devices... so where's the logic in giving the customer ANOTHER $100 off on the purchase of a device that they are already losing lots of money on? As I said, B.S.

Sprint to offer $100 towards iPhone 4S upon trade-in | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

There has been many articles about the high subsize cost of the iPhone. I don't think it's BS. Here is just one article.

http://www.imore.com/2012/04/10/carriers-rebel-high-costs-apples-iphone/

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There has been many articles about the high subsize cost of the iPhone. I don't think it's BS. Here is just one article.

http://www.imore.com/2012/04/10/carriers-rebel-high-costs-apples-iphone/

I understand that Apple is cleaning up and lining their coffers at the expense of us, the consumer base, as well as the wireless providers... but c'mon... how can giving away an extra $100 per iPhone 4S help - especially since the subsidies that Sprint is paying is so high (doubtful it's any higher than any other wireless provider)... it's insane, but Sprint giving the extra $100 per iPhone 4S on top of the $300-400 subsidy is even more insane.

Either somebody is pulling a fast one on the paying public, or this will drive them out of business... but it can't be both.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2