Verizon's grandfathered unlimited data plans ending soon

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They have to be very careful in how they make this change - because if they tell me mid contract I have to change from unlimited to a shared, tiered data plan - that is a material change in terms & conditions of my existing contract, and will be able to cancel ETF-free.

No doubt about it, but do you think the carriers are willing to risk it in order to achieve the goal of ridding itself of unlimited data plans? I do. More and more people are buying smartphones and those new customers will have no choice except to purchase a tiered data plan.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've read terms & conditions agreements that did. Carriers were lax about enforcing those T&Cs, and we are where we are today.

Oh okay. Well in that case, I'm in full agreement with you. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No doubt about it, but do you think the carriers are willing to risk it in order to achieve the goal of ridding itself of unlimited data plans? I do. More and more people are buying smartphones and those new customers will have no choice except to purchase a tiered data plan.

They will go to great lengths NOT to do an action that would allow customers to bolt ETF-free mid contract.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They will go to great lengths NOT to do an action that would allow customers to bolt ETF-free mid contract.

Again, I agree, but I still believe they have an acceptable risk level.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
They have to be very careful in how they make this change - because if they tell me mid contract I have to change from unlimited to a shared, tiered data plan - that is a material change in terms & conditions of my existing contract, and will be able to cancel ETF-free.

That is why the data plans are NOT part of the basic contract... it's an add-on, just like texting. Changing the terms of the DATA plan will not constitute a "material adverse change" to your wireless (read: voice) contract.

They're all too smart (or too "lawyered-up") to let that happen.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Shammo's quote gives conflicts with the statement below:

As these 3G unlimited data plan customers migrate to 4G LTE, they will have to purchase the company's data-share plan (which Verizon plans to launch in mid-summer) and move off the $30 per month unlimited data plan. "Everyone will be on data share," Shammo said.

The opening sentence suggest that current users of 3G unlimited data plans *who migrate to 4G LTE* will have to purchase a shared data plan, however, Shammo's quote states that *everyone* will be on a data share plan. It is my belief that all unlimited data plans will cease to exist in the very near future because wireless companies have already put that plan in motion.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Here's an update that clarifies things a bit more and I think answers Pink's question.

Verizon Unlimited User Plans Not Going Away, Options Likely to Narrow - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
:)tyvm D for both of your responses !! I originally posted my questions because as you quoted from Shammo, it was a bit conflicting/confusing on info. BUT i just breezed thru the article from the link you posted as well, and that has more clarification for those of us that are on 3G if we do not move onto a 4G LTE device, that the unltd data plan we have, we will be able to hang onto for as long as possible:)

Thanks again:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
:)tyvm D for both of your responses !! I originally posted my questions because as you quoted from Shammo, it was a bit conflicting/confusing on info. BUT i just breezed thru the article from the link you posted as well, and that has more clarification for those of us that are on 3G if we do not move onto a 4G LTE device, that the unltd data plan we have, we will be able to hang onto for as long as possible:)

Thanks again:)

You're very welcome, my friend and I hope you're having a safe and pleasant day ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
..those of us that are on 3G if we do not move onto a 4G LTE device, that the unltd data plan we have, we will be able to hang onto for as long as possible:)

That has been how Verizon has operated in the past - no guarantee it will remain so going forward :)

The market I'm in was owned by Midwest Wireless before Alltel bought them out... and then Verizon bought out Alltel - and I'm guessing there are custos out there that are still on Alltel price plans that were grandfathered in when Verizon took over Alltel...

It remains to be seen what the new Share/Tiered offerings will be... if the 'sharing' includes tethering - it may be worthwhile to make a switch once things are announced and we know what's going on.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
That has been how Verizon has operated in the past - no guarantee it will remain so going forward :)
:)yep kch, i'm also aware of that too that the unltd even for 3G devices could change at any time in the future - this is why i also stated in my post "to hang onto for as long as possible" ;)
As much as i enjoy my 4S & it runs great - i don't fore see myself looking to upgrade(if the newest iphone will then be a 4g/lte device) when i'm due at the very end of 2012/beginning of 2013, well, because i'm very happy with my device. In the past i was always waiting on the next upgrade (for bb) to get the better/newest working device.....but thats another thread for another time lol.

You're very welcome, my friend and I hope you're having a safe and pleasant day ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
thanks D, you enjoy as well !! :)

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok so its not a rumor. Looks to be set in stone. I remember when Vzn was laughing at Att users getting throttled after 3GB's on unlimited plans. True unlimited we all knew was going away for Att and Vzn. They are doing what they can to take it away. Yes Sprint has unlimited and probably won't take it away for awhile. They are struggling just like their data speed is struggling.

The sad thing is Verizon made a statement that it was the customers who wanted shared data. That's BS. I definately don't think unlimited users were asking for shared data. Maybe tiered data users.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)...
The sad thing is Verizon made a statement that it was the customers who wanted shared data. That's BS. I definately don't think unlimited users were asking for shared data. Maybe tiered data users.
I'm sure some customers who had separate plans for every member of their family did indeed seek a shared plan, but for Verizon to use that as an excuse to rid themselves of unlimited plans is a bunch of crock!

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Reactions: epphllps

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Could it be the iPhone is starting to reveal the cracks in "the network" and they need to reel in their iPhone users usage.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This statement says it all:

...But despite soar­ing per­for­mance, exec­u­tives at both car­ri­ers (AT&T & Verizon) con­firmed to investors this week that they are prepar­ing to make new moves in an effort to squeeze more rev­enue out of sub­scribers

That statement comes from THIS article.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
This statement says it all:

...But despite soar­ing per­for­mance, exec­u­tives at both car­ri­ers (AT&T & Verizon) con­firmed to investors this week that they are prepar­ing to make new moves in an effort to squeeze more rev­enue out of sub­scribers

That statement comes from THIS article.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

That is truly sickening.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That is truly sickening.

Statements like the following let's me know that unlimited data plans will end soon.

1. "When they migrate to 4G..."
2. "As they move to 4G..."
3. "Everybody will be on a shared plan..."

Remember when data packages were an option? Now, however, if you have a smartphone, data packages are automatically included and whether you want it or not. I wonder will the wireless companies use that strategy with the next iPhone and include all 4G/LTE devices. If it's 4G/LTE capable, you must automatically purchase one of the new 4G/LTE shared/tiered plans. What's to stop them from phasing out 3G? That will certainly make the "everybody will be on a shared plan.." statement ring true.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
That is truly sickening.

True. But that is capitalism at its finest. Charge the consumer as much as they are willing to spend. Want to screw the carriers? Don't buy phones that require a data plan. Ahhhh, sometimes I miss the simplicity of my old flip phone.