Verizon's grandfathered unlimited data plans ending soon

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)...Between the wife and I, we are on Wi-Fi most of the time so we don't even get close to 2GB; ...(snipped)...
Betting on the fact that a large number of users will be on Wi-Fi a good deal of the time is something I believe the wireless providers are doing. Still, it is not the fault of consumers if those companies offered devices that use 3G, 4G, LTE as well as sold unlimited data packages and then cringe when the user use unlimited amount of data. Unlimited data is just that...unlimited, whether via 3G, 4G or LTE. Fearing that user will consume more data via LTE is not a reason to discontinue a service that was aggressively offered. Don't get me wrong. I do understand the business aspect of their decision.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
For a unlimited person like myself I thinks it's wrong but since I have 4 iPhones in my family at 30 bucks each and honestly non of us even come close to using even 2 gigs each ( almost always on wifi ) I'm hoping the shared data might actually save me some cash each month but the data plans will have to be released to be sure.

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Why can't they just throttle use above 2 gb?

I don't use over 1 gb, I just don't like the idea of having to monitor my usage.

Why throttle at all. If it's not a problem up to 2 GB, I'm not convinced it's a problem after 2 GB. If a person has an unlimited data plan, he or she shouldn't be punished by being throttled for using an unlimited amount of data. Just because a person more than likely has access to Wi-Fi doesn't mean that person should be forced or expected to use it. The customer should be able to decide which connection they want to use since they are paying for it. It's not the fault of customers that carriers failed to plan for and/or failed to expect the use of data intensive smartphones to explode in popularity.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
AT&T will probably follow suit, but at least I'm on a 4G LTE, unlimited plan at the moment. Verizon, unlike AT&T didn't allow 3G unlimited users on to 4G LTE unlimited.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I work for Verizon, my mother has had Verizon since 96, they were my first cell phone provider, and I can say that when they start taking off unlimited data, I will never purchase a device from Verizon again.

Sent from space using Tapatalk

Reactions: General Tso

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Forgive my mis-inderstanding here but if someone could just clarify a bit for me - so, in my household we hae 4 iphones(2 4's & 2 4S's) and 1 droid. 1 of the iphone 4S's is on a 2gb plan so rule that one out ATM.
But for the rest of us on the unltd data plan on 3G - am i understanding correctly that because -

1) we are on 3G devices that we will be able to keep the unltd plan?
2) if one of us upgrades to a 4G/LTE device that will then change?
3) or regardless of 3G devices on our acct, the 4G/LTE may be avail in my area so it will affect our unltd data plan rates to change from the unltd anyway?

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if I can keep my unlimited plan as long as I don't sign a contract? Say I buy a 4G device outright and not sign a contract.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Betting on the fact that a large number of users will be on Wi-Fi a good deal of the time is something I believe the wireless providers are doing. Still, it is not the fault of consumers if those companies offered devices that use 3G, 4G, LTE as well as sold unlimited data packages and then cringe when the user use unlimited amount of data. Unlimited data is just that...unlimited, whether via 3G, 4G or LTE. Fearing that user will consume more data via LTE is not a reason to discontinue a service that was aggressively offered. Don't get me wrong. I do understand the business aspect of their decision.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

I agree. We shouldn't be punished for their lack of foresight. I would hope that this would transpire into me having to pay say $20 a month for 2GB rather than the $60 a month ($30 per line) for unlimited. If it translated to cost savings, I may be more in favor of it. I just have a sneaky feeling that there will be no cost savings passed on to the consumer and rather it'll be given back to the company.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree. We shouldn't be punished for their lack of foresight. I would hope that this would transpire into me having to pay say $20 a month for 2GB rather than the $60 a month ($30 per line) for unlimited. If it translated to cost savings, I may be more in favor of it. I just have a sneaky feeling that there will be no cost savings passed on to the consumer and rather it'll be given back to the company.

Verizon and others, in my opinion, are banking on the continued popularity of the iPhone and the rush to buy one from both current users and non-Apple users who are waiting for it to have LTE capabilities. Furthermore, being that Apple controls the costs of its devices, wireless providers will cut options and manipulate prices of restructured data packages that will benefit them tremendously. It's business, I know, but it's bad business to arguably give the impression that the consumer should be grateful to simply have wireless service whereas they should be grateful to have customers. It's the times, I suppose, but I'm old school.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Verizon and others, in my opinion, are banking on the continued popularity of the iPhone and the rush to buy one from both current users and non-Apple users who are waiting for it to have LTE capabilities. Furthermore, being that Apple controls the costs of its devices, wireless providers will cut options and manipulate prices of restructured data packages that will benefit them tremendously. It's business, I know, but it's bad business to arguably give the impression that the consumer should be grateful to simply have wireless service whereas they should be grateful to have customers. It's the times, I suppose, but I'm old school.

I don't think that I could have said it any better.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Forgive my mis-inderstanding here but if someone could just clarify a bit for me - so, in my household we hae 4 iphones(2 4's & 2 4S's) and 1 droid. 1 of the iphone 4S's is on a 2gb plan so rule that one out ATM.
But for the rest of us on the unltd data plan on 3G - am i understanding correctly that because -

1) we are on 3G devices that we will be able to keep the unltd plan?
2) if one of us upgrades to a 4G/LTE device that will then change?
3) or regardless of 3G devices on our acct, the 4G/LTE may be avail in my area so it will affect our unltd data plan rates to change from the unltd anyway?

Shammo's quote conflicts with the statement below:

As these 3G unlimited data plan customers migrate to 4G LTE, they will have to purchase the company's data-share plan (which Verizon plans to launch in mid-summer) and move off the $30 per month unlimited data plan. "Everyone will be on data share," Shammo said.

The opening sentence suggest that current users of 3G unlimited data plans *who migrate to 4G LTE* will have to purchase a shared data plan, however, Shammo's quote states that *everyone* will be on a data share plan. It is my belief that all unlimited data plans will cease to exist in the very near future because wireless companies have already put that plan in motion.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Why throttle at all. If it's not a problem up to 2 GB, I'm not convinced it's a problem after 2 GB. If a person has an unlimited data plan, he or she shouldn't be punished by being throttled for using an unlimited amount of data. Just because a person more than likely has access to Wi-Fi doesn't mean that person should be forced or expected to use it. The customer should be able to decide which connection they want to use since they are paying for it. It's not the fault of customers that carriers failed to plan for and/or failed to expect the use of data intensive smartphones to explode in popularity.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

I understand your points. However it's a safe bet to say the wireless industry never saw the boom in the data arena coming, to adequately prepare. It almost happened overnight. AT&T found out first hand with the initial iPhone launch and all the network issues they experienced from it. Remember unlimited data was around before the data surge therefore, allowed carriers to offer such plans because voice and texting were the "IN' things.

Today, there is an enormous demand for wireless data which is outpacing every other service wireless carriers provide, at an alarming rate. That's why unlimited data is no longer a service companies like Verizon can offer.

Bandwidth is a limited resource in wireless networks not infinite. Verizon knows this and has to curb their plans while keeping up with this demand.

Now, the question is, will Verizon provide us with reasonable usage prices on the plans they offer. I for one, sure hopes so.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I work for Verizon, my mother has had Verizon since 96, they were my first cell phone provider, and I can say that when they start taking off unlimited data, I will never purchase a device from Verizon again.

Sent from space using Tapatalk

I am sure more carriers will follow in Verizon's footsteps. Seeing that you work for the business I'm not so sure I would chop off my nose to spite my face. At least see what they offer after all, Verizon is the hand that feeds you.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
"Unlimited" became a problem when some consumers took it to mean a cellular network connection could/should be used as a 24x7x365 internet connection rather than the "unlimited" data one could use while using apps and functions on the phones themselves or occasional tethering.

Now, the question is, will Verizon provide us with reasonable usage prices on the plans they offer. I for one, sure hopes so.

They sort of do - it's pay for what you use - tiered. When the time comes, I should be able to get by on a 4GB plan with my use... what would be nice is if I could get the 4GB bucket and use that between my use on the iPhone and tethering an iPad or computer when I want to on a shared basis

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The opening sentence suggest that current users of 3G unlimited data plans *who migrate to 4G LTE* will have to purchase a shared data plan, however, Shammo's quote states that *everyone* will be on a data share plan. It is my belief that all unlimited data plans will cease to exist in the very near future because wireless companies have already put that plan in motion.

They have to be very careful in how they make this change - because if they tell me mid contract I have to change from unlimited to a shared, tiered data plan - that is a material change in terms & conditions of my existing contract, and will be able to cancel ETF-free.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand your points. However it's a safe bet to say the wireless industry never saw the boom in the data arena coming, to adequately prepare. It almost happened overnight. AT&T found out first hand with the initial iPhone launch and all the network issues they experienced from it. Remember unlimited data was around before the data surge therefore, allowed carriers to offer such plans because voice and texting were the "IN' things.

Today, there is an enormous demand for wireless data which is outpacing every other service wireless carriers provide, at an alarming rate. That's why unlimited data is no longer a service companies like Verizon can offer.

Bandwidth is a limited resource in wireless networks not infinite. Verizon knows this and has to curb their plans while keeping up with this demand.

I agree, however, even *after* the iPhone was released with AT&T having exclusive rights to sell it, with the exception being Apple, wireless carriers continued to advertise unlimited data plans in an attempt to attract customers. Sprint still does it. Now those same carriers are heavily promoting LTE and how fast it is. We've all seen the commercials and continue to see the commercials and those commercials only show smartphones. In other words, they are still contributing to the problem they are allegedly trying to fix and that is to stem the use of data by its customers over their networks.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
"Unlimited" became a problem when some consumers took it to mean a cellular network connection could/should be used as a 24x7x365 internet connection rather than the "unlimited" data one could use while using apps and functions on the phones themselves or occasional tethering....(snipped)...

Did the wireless carriers define "unlimited data" in the manner in which you've defined it?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods