Verizon's grandfathered unlimited data plans ending soon

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I had a feeling it was coming soon and it was inevitable:

Fierce Wireless has the details, quoting Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo at a JP Morgan conference:

As these 3G unlimited data plan customers migrate to 4G LTE, they will have to purchase the company's data-share plan (which Verizon plans to launch in mid-summer) and move off the $30 per month unlimited data plan. "Everyone will be on data share," Shammo said.

Link below:

Verizon Planning to End Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans With LTE Switch - Mac Rumors

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I guess Big Reds term of "grandfathering" unlimited data plans is different from what the consumer thinks. This is still just a rumor though. Nothing officially announced by Vzn.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess Big Reds term of "grandfathering" unlimited data plans is different from what the consumer thinks. This is still just a rumor though. Nothing officially announced by Vzn.

Yeah, it reminds me of alleged 'lifetime warranties'. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

This doesn't sound like a rumor:

Verizon Wireless CFO Fran Shammo said ?A lot of our 3G base is on unlimited, when they migrate off 3G they will have to go to data share. That is beneficial to us.?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Verizon Wireless CFO Fran Shammo said ?A lot of our 3G base is on unlimited, when they migrate off 3G they will have to go to data share. That is beneficial to us.?

I always consider anything a rumor until offically announced. Just like when all other sites except iMore confirmed a newly designed iPhone for last Oct and then the 4S hit. I am sure its true about the Vzn data thing but nothing has been announced by them yet.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Verizon Wireless CFO Fran Shammo said “A lot of our 3G base is on unlimited, when they migrate off 3G they will have to go to data share. That is beneficial to us.”

Just having customers, being able to offer products & services at a profit and inking customers to a contract is "beneficial" to Verizon but taking away an option that attracted and was offered to customers for what appears to be the sole purpose of benefitting Verizon is unfortunate.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)...

The times they are a-changin... (snipped)..."Unlimited" and "lifetime" apparently mean different things today than they did 10 years ago... #moneygrab
Isn't that the truth? The days of "real" customer appreciation are long gone, my friend, and today's generation will never know what it was like.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I always consider anything a rumor until offically announced. Just like when all other sites except iMore confirmed a newly designed iPhone for last Oct and then the 4S hit. I am sure its true about the Vzn data thing but nothing has been announced by them yet.

If the CEO says it, doesn't that equate to the company saying it?

Press release or not, it's time for ALL wireless customers (of ALL providers) to grab their ankles and "assume the position". Resistance is futile. We WILL be assimilated. It's exactly what happened with text messaging... and now data... it's the drug dealer model - give it away for free (or cheap), get 'em hooked, then stick it to 'em.

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Does it shock me? No, it doesn't. Every corporation is going to do what they are going to do that is supposedly best for the company.

Truthfully though, it won't really affect me. I already do not use a lot of data. Between the wife and I, we are on Wi-Fi most of the time so we don't even get close to 2GB; however, I would prefer to have the unlimited in place just in case. If only the fee per month was cheaper for data then I would prefer it.

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
online petition needs to be started and we should all inquire with our congressman and put pressure in how can one charge more for less and basically get away with it. I know lte is faster and all but 3G data basically built the damn tech and now your going to charge us more to use it and cap it to. This seems very close to data gouging to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Not Surprising To Me At All

I'm not really surprised? With the reduction in viable nationwide carrier choice, I guess it's only greedily fitting that two thrids of the main three (ATT, VZ) now try to squeeze customers a little more. But since I have multiple lines on my account that use data, the data share for one flat price may not be so bad..

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not really surprised? With the reduction in viable nationwide carrier choice, I guess it's only greedily fitting that two thrids of the main three (ATT, VZ) now try to squeeze customers a little more. But since I have multiple lines on my account that use data, the data share for one flat price may not be so bad..

It will NEVER be a flat price... with the elimination of the "unlimited" option, it will always be a moving target... given that it's the "family" sized bucket, it may remove a lot of the guesswork and make the billing somewhat "constant", there's no guarantee that they won't find a new way to screw us over. In fact, count on it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested is seeing what the data share does for the "personal hotspot" - if that gets blended in, or remains an additional charge.

bailman

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I hope I'm still grandfathered, this seems to apply to 3G to 4G upgrades. I am currently grandfathered on 4G, and an looking forward to the next iPhone with lte so I can switch.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I sure hope the Verizon base fights this policy change. In reality, everyone will just roll over and conform. So sad.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

kshen1

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I only use 1GB of data a month maximum so I won't really be affected that much. But I want to see what the rates and deals will be for the family shared data plans that Verizon will be offering over the summer..

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I only use 1GB of data a month maximum so I won't really be affected that much. But I want to see what the rates and deals will be for the family shared data plans that Verizon will be offering over the summer..

Your data usage probably will increase if you move to an LTE device.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I sure hope the Verizon base fights this policy change. In reality, everyone will just roll over and conform. So sad.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Not much of a fight that can be put up. I am interested in knowing what the plans will look like. I have three unlimited data plans on my account so, it should be interesting.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox