IPhone to VZW

Jawsnj

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
I know it is blasfamy to ask this but i can not seem to find any info on this bad boy ever making its way over to verizon.

I need to stay with VZW cause of business obligations, but wife kids and me (to some extent) would like to get this beauty...

Any ideas on when, if ever???

Thanks.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
If this ever happens, it will be a while. The iPhone is a GSM device and is not currently compatible with the technology that VZ uses, which is CDMA. Before this could happen, the AT&T exclusive agreement needs to expire and Apple needs to produce a CDMA iPhone.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
If this ever happens, it will be a while. The iPhone is a GSM device and is not currently compatible with the technology that VZ uses, which is CDMA. Before this could happen, the AT&T exclusive agreement needs to expire and Apple needs to produce a CDMA iPhone.

So never :D

Really doubt apple would produce 2 phones for 2 different networks.

Jawsnj

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
while i appreciate your opinion on "two phones for two different networks" theory...

Everyone else does it, and i doubt Steve Jobs is walking away from the nations largest carrier just because he does not want to make two different units.

I am even sure they have already developed a CDMA version.

My only fear is that they are waiting until VZW goes 4g (which is GSM technology)

My original post was to see if anyone had heard any posititves regarding the prospects of a VZW iphone...

But thanks for the tech lessons and opinions...

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
It also depends on if Verizon left a bad taste in Steve's mouth when trying to sign an exclusivity deal. If they did, then Apple might not ever deal with VZ as long as El Joboso is still alive...

Jawsnj

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Hoping Steve lives a long and fruitful life (at least long he already has the fruit)

I would love to see the iphone on vzw.

Maybe we luck out for once and get that iphone nano rumored these last few months???

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hoping Steve lives a long and fruitful life (at least long he already has the fruit)

I wish he would just retire and live a long and relaxing life.

Apple needs new leadership, someone that listens to the customer instead of releasing a 3000 dollar lap top in the depths of a depression, while ignoring customer demands for serious bug fixes and refusing to add basic features that every other GSM phone has.

Steve "Just Say NO" is becoming an albatross around Apple's neck, but the fanboys can't see this as they are too busy fawning over every word he utters and lapping up the cool-aid.

Yeah, I have an iPhone, its the first and absolute LAST apple product I will ever buy.

SurfStoked

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
What's everyone's thoughts on the recent rumors about iPhone on VZW in '09? Do you think its going to happen?

Last edited:

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I think what you're forgetting or maybe just don't know is that VZW was originally offered the iPhone first. VZW in their infinite wisdom did not like Jobs' contractual terms and declined. Therefore, we have the iPhone on ATT, whom will probably not give up their exclusive agreement anytime soon. Also while CDMA maybe better in some ways than GSM it's only heavily used here in the U.S. The rest of the world uses GSM. Leave it to the U.S. to create a competing standard that only they use and is not going to last.

I wish he would just retire and live a long and relaxing life.

Apple needs new leadership, someone that listens to the customer instead of releasing a 3000 dollar lap top in the depths of a depression, while ignoring customer demands for serious bug fixes and refusing to add basic features that every other GSM phone has.

Steve "Just Say NO" is becoming an albatross around Apple's neck, but the fanboys can't see this as they are too busy fawning over every word he utters and lapping up the cool-aid.

Yeah, I have an iPhone, its the first and absolute LAST apple product I will ever buy.

As far as leadership goes don't think for a second that a different CEO will even attempt to dilute Apple's high-end product line by offering them for below a $3000.00 price point. Oh wait they are $2799.00 so you can get a laptop below $3000.00.

Don't forget that every other laptop maker out there also has $2799.00+ laptops. So if your gonna pick on one pick on them all. I'm just sayin'...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget that Verizon offers only ~90 million potential customers for the iPhone while this may seem like a lot it pales in comparison to the market for GSM. The rest of the world uses GSM (except for Mexico and other small areas that are developing). Apple is selling the iPhone in 30+ countries on GSM networks, their potential customer base is a few billion on GSM networks.

Apple is also still new at the cell phone game, and so unlikely to want to develop 2 versions, especially one that can only be sold to one or 2 markets. It is likely they will wait until Verizon has deployed their 4G network based on LTE (the same thing AT&T will be using).

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Any word on when that could happen?

Your looking at roughly 5 to 10+ years away. Not to mention we don't know if it will be entirely "universal" upon implementation even though it is designed to be. A prime example would be VZN maintaining their CDMA network, using GSM for data only and AT&T doing the exact opposite. It would be nice if that doesn't happen but I'm not holding my breath on it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
No offense to anyone but I am not a fan of Verizon. I tried the service here in Chicago with a Storm and the service was pretty poor. I know that won't be the case for everyone. AT&T just give me better service, in my area.

mahomer

Nov 14, 2008
www.bootcampmobile.com
@BadAsh - What part of Chicago?

When I lived in Chicago I had bot ATT and VZW. Verizon was always better reception for me. Now that I have my iPhone whenever I travel to Chicago I hit a lot of dead zones while most of my colleagues on verizon still and have no issues. That's just my experience. Fortunately there is a lot of wifi so it really only affects voice.

Fortunately ATT is pretty much the best coverage down here in Cincinnati where I live!

- mark

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
@BadAsh - What part of Chicago?

When I lived in Chicago I had bot ATT and VZW. Verizon was always better reception for me. Now that I have my iPhone whenever I travel to Chicago I hit a lot of dead zones while most of my colleagues on verizon still and have no issues. That's just my experience. Fortunately there is a lot of wifi so it really only affects voice.

Fortunately ATT is pretty much the best coverage down here in Cincinnati where I live!

- mark

Honestly, all over Chicago is great. I never lose a signal or 3G. I live in the southwest burbs but spend a lot of time in the city. While at home I'd get one or two bars at most with Verizon, with AT&T I get full bars. That's most important to me. Can't complain.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
@mahomer - and how long ago was it you lived there? I felt the same about ATT here in Austin TX, but in the past year service has really improved. I dropped them years ago for Sprint b/c the service was so bad. I tried a Storm out also and VZW was no better or even a little worse than my Sprint coverage. And gosh, now that they will have 81M people on their network...... ;)

mahomer

Nov 14, 2008
www.bootcampmobile.com
@bubbatex - Since I moved away 4 yrs ago, I have been there twice a month for work until this year.

Maybe I am just sensitive to it since I have been trying to talk a colleague into getting an iPhone and dumping his treo (vzw). But it always happens that I drop a call or can't get a signal in an internal (no window) conference room and he has a full signal. So the three of four times that it happens I am probably wincing a little more from it :)

Bad Ash lives and works there every day so I will take his word that it has gotten a lot better.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR