Unique iOS Facebook Problem

congressdj

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
For the past month, and seemingly out of the blue, my Facebook for iOS app had been crashing every time I click on a comment in my feed. The weird thing is, the problem follows me (and me only) from iOS device to device. In other words, when I'm logged in, the problem exists. When someone else logs on from the same device, Facebook works just fine.

I made a video of the issue here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBkCwwfwrNc

Since this happens on every iOS device I use, removing the app and reinstalling the app have no effect. Before I determined the problem followed me, I even did a clean install of the OS. Of course it didn't work. To be clear, this problem is unique to the app. The mobile web version and full web version work fine.

Naturally, this leads me to believe the problem is on Facebook's end. Perhaps a glitch associated with my account on their servers? I've left a hundred bug reports, emailed Facebook, even called them (left a message). I'm sure out of their billion customers, they'll be all over this.

On the Facebook side of things, I've changed my Facebook password, gone through and deleted all of my FB apps, removed authorized devices, checked login history, gone through the "I've been hacked" process (even though I've never been hacked). I even deleted my account and reopened it 24 hours later. Problem persisted (however, just for giggles I created an alias account to see if it worked fine. It did, of course).

So I'm here. At the mercy of the forums. Please tell me one of you knows someone at Facebook! Tell me something I've not researched or tried. I'm desperate!

And yes, I realized I've just described the biggest first world problem. Ever.

Thank you!

Dan

iOS version 6.1.2 and Facebook version 5.4 and 5.5.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When you say you did a "clean install" of the OS, are you saying that you connected your device to a computer and used iTunes to "restore as new"? If you reset your device and restored from a backup then you can expect the problem to persist. Is your device jailbroken? Did you go through every setting/option on both the Facebook website and on your device? If not, do so, just in case.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Here's what I'd try first:

Log into Facebook with a different account. Either get a relative/friend to log in with their again, or create a second dummy account. (Alternatively, you can log into a friend's Facebook app using your account and see if it works.)

If a different account works, it's likely something the app is pulling from your account that's causing the crash. Maybe junk in your feed.

congressdj

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
When you say you did a "clean install" of the OS, are you saying that you connected your device to a computer and used iTunes to "restore as new"? If you reset your device and restored from a backup then you can expect the problem to persist. Is your device jailbroken? Did you go through every setting/option on both the Facebook website and on your device? If not, do so, just in case.

I did a fresh install, with no other settings or apps other than Facebook - as if I bought a new phone. But as I said, the problem follows me from device to device, whether it belongs to me or not. Also, when my wife logs onto my same phone using HER account, the app does not crash.

Last edited:

congressdj

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I'd try first:

Log into Facebook with a different account. Either get a relative/friend to log in with their again, or create a second dummy account. (Alternatively, you can log into a friend's Facebook app using your account and see if it works.)

If a different account works, it's likely something the app is pulling from your account that's causing the crash. Maybe junk in your feed.

Thanks, Rene. I tried all of that. My wife can log into my Facebook app and have no problems. And my dummy account works flawlessly.

Your theory about a problem with junk in my feed is a good one. And I thought that might be the issue. But it's persisted for over a month, now, and I have a very active feed. Plus, I can view the feed just fine. It's only when I click into a picture or a comment that it crashes.

Does anyone know someone at Facebook that can perform a feed refresh or something... anything?!

congressdj

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
How much free space do you have on your iPhone? Also is your Multitasking bar cleared each time it crashes?

It doesn't matter, because as I mentioned, it crashes on ANY iOS device that I use. The problem follows me, and me alone. Yet, others can log in and use the app on my phone without a problem.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since the problem is not specific to the iPhone 5, this thread was moved to the Facebook, Twitter, Google + & Social thread.

tommyreyes

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter, because as I mentioned, it crashes on ANY iOS device that I use. The problem follows me, and me alone. Yet, others can log in and use the app on my phone without a problem.

Honestly that's insane. I know it sounds pointless, but have you ever emailed Facebook Support about this?

congressdj

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Honestly that's insane. I know it sounds pointless, but have you ever emailed Facebook Support about this?

Yes, but it's been utterly futile. I've sent them at least 100 messages- from bug reports, to direct emails, to leaving them a voicemail at corporate. I'm praying that someone on this thread knows someone at the company that can help.

congressdj

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If your wife can login on the same app right on your phone without problem and you can't, there is definitely a problem with your facebook account. I would contact them through the options given on their site here. Contact Facebook and Facebook Support | Facebook Help Center | Facebook
I have. Close to 100 times. You get a form letter back. Not once has anyone at the company personally acknowledged my problem. And out of a billion users, I don't expect them to. And thus is the source of my madness...

Chase Isley

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Yikes. I know if you called Apple they would just send you to facebook support. hmmm. Maybe try deactivating the account and reactivating it... I don't really know what else you could do on this one.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Wild guess: Have you tried logging into Facebook via iOS Settings app before using the app? If it's the case, maybe log into Facebook first through the app and then via the iOS settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

congressdj

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Wild guess: Have you tried logging into Facebook via iOS Settings app before using the app? If it's the case, maybe log into Facebook first through the app and then via the iOS settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah. Tried it. Backwards and forwards. I'm at my wits end.

congressdj

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Yikes. I know if you called Apple they would just send you to facebook support. hmmm. Maybe try deactivating the account and reactivating it... I don't really know what else you could do on this one.

I actually tried this. No avail. Left it inactivated for 24 hours, too. Nothing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal