Adding twitter usernames to iPhone contacts

mungera

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Greetings all,

New iPhone (5) user. Am trying to get the twitter names of some of my friends into their contact card on my phone. I went to settings>twitter>update contacts and the only one it synced was my contact card. Fair enough, maybe it just couldn't match anyone else. I thought I could go in to the contacts and manually add it to them, but there's no "twitter" field I can find anywhere. I even tried adding it as a URL like i saw when I searched the interwebs, but can't even get that to work.

Anybody have any advice?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
On my iPhone 4S running iOS 6, there is a Twitter section in my contacts. You can add it by selecting edit. See the attached screenshot.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348861149.018665.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348861149.018665.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 18

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Is one of you using Exchange for your contacts while the other isn't? I believe Exchange protocols limit the kinds of fields you can use (for instance, people using Gmail as an Exchange setup will no longer have the "iPhone" option under contacts).

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is one of you using Exchange for your contacts while the other isn't? I believe Exchange protocols limit the kinds of fields you can use (for instance, people using Gmail as an Exchange setup will no longer have the "iPhone" option under contacts).

Although I have several email configurations, 2 of which is configured via exchange, I only use my iCloud contacts, calendar, etcetera. I do not enable the contacts & calendars of my other accounts. Also, I still have the iPhone option available.

mungera

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I DO have Gmail configured via exchange (to enable push notifications, if I understood the setup right). All my contacts were inported from Google, but I have iCloud as the default account for contacts. I hadn't thought of Exchange set up causing it.. Is there a way to undo that setup without removing all the contacts? I'm going to tinker with some settings until you guys mull that over.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I DO have Gmail configured via exchange (to enable push notifications, if I understood the setup right). All my contacts were inported from Google, but I have iCloud as the default account for contacts. I hadn't thought of Exchange set up causing it.. Is there a way to undo that setup without removing all the contacts? I'm going to tinker with some settings until you guys mull that over.

Hold on a second. I will simply enable syncing of my gmail contacts and see if The Twitter option remains or disappears.

mungera

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

BINGO! I went to settings>mail, contacts, calendars>gmail and turned to contacts "off". It removed the contacts from my phone, but when I add a new one, the screenshot looks just like the one JustMe'D posted.

So, whats the best way to import contacts now? lol.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do this: select the + sign in contacts to create a new contact. Scroll down to "add field" and select it. Does Twitter appear among the choices?

DISREGARD

mungera

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If I add a new contact, it DOES give me twitter option. Even with Gmail contacts on. So it's simply an issue of not being able to modify Exchange synced contacts with Twitter handles. If I export my google contacts as a vcard and import them to iCloud, you think it would let me add twitter fields to existing?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
BINGO! I went to settings>mail, contacts, calendars>gmail and turned to contacts "off". It removed the contacts from my phone, but when I add a new one, the screenshot looks just like the one JustMe'D posted.

So, whats the best way to import contacts now? lol.

Personally, I would use a computer, login to gmail, export my contacts, log off and then login to the iCloud website and import the contacts. That way, when you're done, your devices will automatically sync with iCloud without problems.

mungera

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll play with it tonight when I get to the computer and see what I can come up with. At least now I know what's causing it and can back my way into it.

Thanks for the help!

mungera

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Just to follow up here, I set my Gmail account up as an exchange account, but did NOT have it sync contacts. I then logged in to gmail and exported my contacts in the vcard format and imported them on icloud.com. Now im able to add twitter, facebook, et al to my contacts. Thanks for everybody;s help!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73