Facebook 3.1 now available WITH PUSH NOTIFICATIONS!!

iBoxtaboy

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
which also has not worked as it has replaced my contacts photos wit photos of people i dont even know

Exactly!...it replaced contacts in my address book with photos of people I don't even know! Also, once you sign out of FB, and then go back into your address book, all those contact sycns are then deleted again. FAIL!

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...scary! I'm so glad that I didn't even bother to turn those options ON!

Exactly!...it replaced contacts in my address book with photos of people I don't even know! Also, once you sign out of FB, and then go back into your address book, all those contact sycns are then deleted again. FAIL!

BLu

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Same for me too, and even that's not perfect! Aside from the 'no sounds/vibe' issue I'm seeing that badges don't work for inbox messages (although the alert does). Definitely better than having none at all though eh?!

ricmax

Dec 15, 2009
www.facebook.com
i was getting push notifications (minus sound/vibrate of course) up until this morning....now i am ONLY getting them for new messages...ridiculous. Contact sync seems to be 100% on my end. What really chaps my arse about this whole deal is that this has been in testing at facebook for a LONG time (this was suppost to be a part of the 3.0 build). I have turned all my email notifications off so now i am in the dark when new notifications come in (granted i could turn them back on but i would rather this WORK). this is a BASIC function that should have been perfected by now...its infuriating. Does anyone have any idea when a patch or new update will be available?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
It's not possible to perfect anything and coming close is even harder as FB would need the same amount of testers as there are users that use FB. Basically, we beta test each build and they improve upon them.

ricmax

Dec 15, 2009
www.facebook.com
It's not possible to perfect anything and coming close is even harder as FB would need the same amount of testers as there are users that use FB. Basically, we beta test each build and they improve upon them.

i totally agree with what you are saying but the fundamental core of this update was broken from the get-go...it never worked. Including sound/vibrate command into the code of the app is basic...it should already be there. I totally understand the inconsistent nature of the contact sync..that obviously requires some trial and error...but for a notification to ding or vibrate should require no beta testing whatsoever.

Hockey_Player37

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I understand the issues with syncing... but problems with push notifications this bad?

Seriously, no sounds or vibrate. When you "Slide to view" it doesn't take you to the post. That's not rocket science, it's what EVERYONE has been doing with their apps for as long as push notifications have been available.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I still haven't received one PN from it, doesn't work at all, was this like an early April fools joke or something?

But anyways, for those of you who really want them, there's a great app called "Let Me Know" that let's you subscribe to different push notifications including Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc. And you can even customize the sounds. I had mine set to give me Facebook notifications but changed it as soon as the FB update came out, looks like I'll have to change it back now.