Facebook and iPhone - status updates and comments...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Morning all -

I'm trying to figured out how exactly the Facebook application works on the iPhone.

At present, it seems like when you open it, it looks at your account directly there and then to get the latest changes to it, i.e. friends status updates, and comments that people have made to your status, etc, etc...

But, what I want to know is, is there not a function to have a notification when people comment on your status', etc, etc?

Of course, on the BlackBerry, it's instant when someone comments, etc. Thus my question.

Thanks in advance

PS: yes I've tried the email notification, but of course, that can be anything from 1-15 minutes before you receive it. And, you can never tell which status someone is commenting on, since it doesn't show this in the email...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Short story, the current facebook app is terrible and is just under a year old and facebook has barely paid any attention to it.

It always is missing things that are in my feed on the web, you can't view events, and it just plain sucks IMO.

Supposedly there is a 3.0 version coming soon that will be more like the other platforms. But right now, it sucks. It also does not do very many notifications and has no PNS support. It does not mirror the website at all, and hasn't for awhile.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
The new version should be out at any time now. It's created by a Facebook employee which seems like on his own time. Then "later this summer" another update with push is supposed to be out.

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Be cool if Facebook would allow other people to make Facebook apps for the iPhone since they don't seem interested in doing it. Just like there are dozens of Twitter apps, then at least people could find one to suit their needs.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
They update the website so often I guess they ran out of people to code for the iPhone. Not sure what is taking the 3.0 update so long, that story was a long time ago.

Nando

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Morning all -

I'm trying to figured out how exactly the Facebook application works on the iPhone.

At present, it seems like when you open it, it looks at your account directly there and then to get the latest changes to it, i.e. friends status updates, and comments that people have made to your status, etc, etc...

But, what I want to know is, is there not a function to have a notification when people comment on your status', etc, etc?

Of course, on the BlackBerry, it's instant when someone comments, etc. Thus my question.

Thanks in advance

PS: yes I've tried the email notification, but of course, that can be anything from 1-15 minutes before you receive it. And, you can never tell which status someone is commenting on, since it doesn't show this in the email...

Hey Navi, I remember your name from other forums. I was a former Crackberry member. I just made the switch. Just wanted to say hello.