Public beta install issues

LP Slade

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I’m on the tvOS public beta on my ATV 4K and I’m unable to install the latest update. It downloads it, but at the “preparing update” stage it says it failed.

Is there any way to fix this? No matter what I do it fails.

Sidebar, this is by far the worst beta experience I’ve ever had. Yes, I know it’s a beta and it will have bugs, but the public betas have mostly been fine in my experience ... this one has taught me that I won’t do it for my Apple TV again 🤦🏻*♂️

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I’m on the tvOS public beta on my ATV 4K and I’m unable to install the latest update. It downloads it, but at the “preparing update” stage it says it failed.

Is there any way to fix this? No matter what I do it fails.

Sidebar, this is by far the worst beta experience I’ve ever had. Yes, I know it’s a beta and it will have bugs, but the public betas have mostly been fine in my experience ... this one has taught me that I won’t do it for my Apple TV again ????????????*♂️

Try turning off beta downloads and then turning it back on and redownload.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I know ... so I’m not sure how that article was meant to help ...

You might be stuck until the official release, since there is no USB C port and with no way to push a restore to your Apple TV. I would make a genius appointment or contact Apple support. Maybe someone else knows how to push a restore to your Apple TV over the air.

LP Slade

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
You might be stuck until the official release, since there is no USB C port and with no way to push a restore to your Apple TV. I would make a genius appointment or contact Apple support. Maybe someone else knows how to push a restore to your Apple TV over the air.

That’s what I was afraid of. I guess I’ll just have to deal with this beta for another month or so until the official release ... I’ve used a lot of public betas, but never had issues like I’ve had with this one

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
That’s what I was afraid of. I guess I’ll just have to deal with this beta for another month or so until the official release ... I’ve used a lot of public betas, but never had issues like I’ve had with this one

Hopefully someone else has an answer that may help.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I see there is an updated TV OS 13 beta released today. I would try again to update to the beta.

LP Slade

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I see there is an updated TV OS 13 beta released today. I would try again to update to the beta.

This update won’t work either. This is absolutely ridiculous. I understand the risks involved with betas, but it’s absurd that Apple doesn’t offer a way of returning to the previous OS on one model, but it does on another. I’m worried now that even with the general release I’ll have this problem.

LP Slade

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
This update won’t work either. This is absolutely ridiculous. I understand the risks involved with betas, but it’s absurd that Apple doesn’t offer a way of returning to the previous OS on one model, but it does on another. I’m worried now that even with the general release I’ll have this problem.

I FINALLY managed to get it installed ... well, not the previous beta, but the one that just came out.

I broke down and decided to try resetting it (if it weren’t for the super simple setup process using my iPhone, I don’t think I would have). I reset (not reset and update), set it up again and tried to install the beta. The problem, though, was that the “get beta updates” wasn’t showing up. Eventually I realized I had to fully leave the beta program, restart my ATV 4K and then rejoin the beta program and then I finally had the option to select “get beta updates.” Once I did this, I was able to download and install the latest update without issue.

I, for sure, will not do a tvOS beta again. I’m far too dependent on my tv to risk this or something more serious again 🤣🤣

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I FINALLY managed to get it installed ... well, not the previous beta, but the one that just came out.

I broke down and decided to try resetting it (if it weren’t for the super simple setup process using my iPhone, I don’t think I would have). I reset (not reset and update), set it up again and tried to install the beta. The problem, though, was that the “get beta updates” wasn’t showing up. Eventually I realized I had to fully leave the beta program, restart my ATV 4K and then rejoin the beta program and then I finally had the option to select “get beta updates.” Once I did this, I was able to download and install the latest update without issue.

I, for sure, will not do a tvOS beta again. I’m far too dependent on my tv to risk this or something more serious again 🤣🤣

Glad you got it figured out. Betas are not for the casual user for sure.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2