Netflix Price increase

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone received the following email message that I received earlier this morning?

“The cost of your Netflix membership will increase to $10.99 on Monday, January 15th 2018. Why? So we can add more of what you like to watch. Awesome entertainment built around you is what we’re all about. We’ve enhanced our features so you can download your favorites and watch without wifi, too.
Here's to watching what you want, when you want, on any device you want.”

If you’ve also received the above message, what are your thoughts about the rate hike? Does it bother you? Is it justified? No big deal? Please share your opinions in this thread. Thank you.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes. A few weeks ago. Netflix announced this maybe last month. About every tech site blogged about it. It really is old news now.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It is what it is, I guess. They've been doing some great things with their original content so I won't complain. I did get this notification though so I was aware it was happening. I'm still saving money over what I was paying for traditional cable so I'm ok.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, we knew it was coming. I have the 4 screens + Ultra HD plan. Yes, I think the original content alone is worth it, as is paying for the 4K versions.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have long held out to subscribe to Netflix and sorts, mainly because downloading movies and tv shows was not illegal in the Netherlands. That has changed this past year.
I subscribed to the free month of Netflix to try it out and have been using it for the past few months ever since.
It’s great, it’s easy and it’s convenient.
Many of the shows I’m following are available within 8 hours of airing, so that’s a plus.
Wish I’d used it before.

Having said that, I have the 2 screens plan, and the extra €1.- amounts to 12 euro per year. That’s the same as 2 meals at the McDonald’s. I think I’ll survive that

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, we knew it was coming. I have the 4 screens + Ultra HD plan. Yes, I think the original content alone is worth it, as is paying for the 4K versions.

Yeah I do the 4K package too and almost all original content is in 4K. I didn’t mind the $2 increase of whatever is was. You get so much for your money.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I didn’t know there’s a 4K option.
Is it available for non-original shows like Gotham?

I’m going to assume since you didn’t know, you don’t have a 4K TV? Netflix now for quite awhile has been known to have the biggest 4K library outside of now out iTunes 4K movies. 99% of the 4K content is Netflix original shows and movies and there is a ton. 4K is rarely available on other stuff. The 4K package is well worth the extra $2.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I’m going to assume since you didn’t know, you don’t have a 4K TV? Netflix now for quite awhile has been known to have the biggest 4K library outside of now out iTunes 4K movies. 99% of the 4K content is Netflix original shows and movies and there is a ton. 4K is rarely available on other stuff. The 4K package is well worth the extra $2.

Oh yeah, they call it Ultra HD.
I do not have a TV as I watch everything on my iPad / MBP.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you’ve also received the above message, what are your thoughts about the rate hike? Does it bother you? Is it justified? No big deal? Please share your opinions in this thread. Thank you.

Well justified. These guys have had a great, well planned out business model going back at least 6 years. They brought people over by getting licensing to stream already existing content from places like Disney and Fox to lock them in to the service and started putting much of that money into original content which, for the most part, is pretty damn good. They can basically survive on their own seeing what a powerhouse they are. They'll be up against Disney for a nice showdown within the next couple of years now that Disney gobbled up Fox to try and combat.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Well justified. These guys have had a great, well planned out business model going back at least 6 years. They brought people over by getting licensing to stream already existing content from places like Disney and Fox to lock them in to the service and started putting much of that money into original content which, for the most part, is pretty damn good. They can basically survive on their own seeing what a powerhouse they are. They'll be up against Disney for a nice showdown within the next couple of years now that Disney gobbled up Fox to try and combat.

I'm kind of bummed about their deal with Disney expiring. That means Disney will almost certainly pull their content from Netflix for their own potential streaming service. And since I've got two little girls at home, there's almost no way I won't be subscribing to that as well lol.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm kind of bummed about their deal with Disney expiring. That means Disney will almost certainly pull their content from Netflix for their own potential streaming service. And since I've got two little girls at home, there's almost no way I won't be subscribing to that as well lol.

I was listening to Ben Thompson talk about the subject on Bill Simmons' podcast this week and going by what he said, it seemed Disney was duped into providing that content to Netflix with the thought that it would be a very long-term thing. Little did they realize until a couple of years ago what Netflix was creating for themselves. Disney has essentially doubled their speed on their plans.

I wonder what ends up happening with Hulu. I think Fox owns like 30% of it while Disney owns some of Hulu as well.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I was listening to Ben Thompson talk about the subject on Bill Simmons' podcast this week and going by what he said, it seemed Disney was duped into providing that content to Netflix with the thought that it would be a very long-term thing. Little did they realize until a couple of years ago what Netflix was creating for themselves. Disney has essentially doubled their speed on their plans.

I wonder what ends up happening with Hulu. I think Fox owns like 30% of it while Disney owns some of Hulu as well.

Ah, interesting.

I got an email the other day that Hulu LOWERED my subscription price. Not raised but lowered lol. Not sure if that's indicative of anything substantial but it was a cool email to receive lol.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Ah, interesting.

I got an email the other day that Hulu LOWERED my subscription price. Not raised but lowered lol. Not sure if that's indicative of anything substantial but it was a cool email to receive lol.

I have Netflix and Hulu. I probably use Netflix 95% of the time. Their original content is 2nd to none. And a ton of 4K content which is very important to me. Even though I pay just 5.99 a month for Hulu, I’m likely to cancel it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have Netflix and Hulu. I probably use Netflix 95% of the time. Their original content is 2nd to none. And a ton of 4K content which is very important to me. Even though I pay just 5.99 a month for Hulu, I’m likely to cancel it.

Yea, I have Hulu because there are some network shows I watch that aren't on other streaming platforms. Some show up after the season is over but I like the next day streaming on most shows. I went from giving Directv around $120 each month to spending around $50 for all the streaming services I currently subscribe to. Netflix has REALLY stepped up their efforts. This time last year I was contemplating canceling it. But now they have so much great content that I'm pleased with them and don't mind the price hike.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Will be interesting to see if Tmobile passes along any Netflix increase since Netflix is included with my Tmobile plan.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yea, I have Hulu because there are some network shows I watch that aren't on other streaming platforms. Some show up after the season is over but I like the next day streaming on most shows. I went from giving Directv around $120 each month to spending around $50 for all the streaming services I currently subscribe to. Netflix has REALLY stepped up their efforts. This time last year I was contemplating canceling it. But now they have so much great content that I'm pleased with them and don't mind the price hike.

And the only reason I have Hulu is because it came along the $5 Spotify student package that I made for my wife with my brother's UNiDays account. All I watch on Hulu is 'Seinfeld' and 'I Love Lucy'. I've never gotten into any of their originals.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro