• They both SUCK!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Ok so the big debate right now is which new Sci Fi show is better? Seth McFarland's comedy/drama Orville, OR the new CBS All Access show Star Trek Discovery.

I'm having a tough time deciding which one I like better. BUT I am leaning towards Orville. Orville is more accessible (it's on broadcast TV), it has a good mix of humor AND drama, and it seems to take inspiration from, and pay homage to Star Trek's of the past. It's fresh and new at the same time.

Star Trek Discovery on the other hand started out slow, BUT has gotten better with the last couple episodes. I also like how the episodes are building on each other, in a story arc (like the last seasons of Enterprise). Things I don't like, is it's seeming to be a bit too much out there, and too strange if you know what I mean. And it's a bit too much of a departure from other Star Trek's of the past.

I guess I'm really talking myself in to Orville here, BUT I will still be watching Discovery, and enjoying it. Anyways what do you all think, Orville or Discovery?

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think Orville has my vote for now. I find it to be a more interesting. I will continue to watch both though because I enjoy Space shows.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Orville - it explores societal conventions as well as space a la TOS but with more humor and less warp drive. The first episode seemed a little floundering but it really hooked me after the second.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've not watched either, but now I am definitely going to check out Orville (and maybe Star Trek since I too like Space Shows)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like Annie_i6s, I’ve yet to watch either show, but I plan on watching both at some point.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Love both.

Orville is a bit "spoofier," but still remarkably interesting IMHO.

Discovery is better than I would have imagined. I'm far from a true Trekkie, but I like it immensely.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Orville for sure. Definitely captures more of that special something that made Star Trek enjoyable. Watching Orville has a warm familiarity to it.

Discovery is trying too hard to please both long time fans and new era Kelvin Timeline fans, and so far they’re not doing either timeline justice.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
So I was just sitting here in my office contemplating tonight's TV viewing. So I'm faced with the choice between watching the next episode of The Orville, and the return of the Klingons (oops I mean the Krill), OR the season 2 premier of Star Trek Discovery. Yea yea, I will eventually see both! God Bless, on-demand! BUT which to watch live?

That got me thinking would this be a great topic for an iMore thread? Which is better, The Orville or Discovery? When I went to the forums to start the thread, I discovered this thread! It appears I ALREADY had this idea last season! lol

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
We've been streaming Andromeda on the Roku Channel and we're in the final season. I think The Orville may be next on our list!

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
OMG did I make the right choice! Actually maybe the jury is still out since I have not watch Discovery yet, BUT last night's Orville was fantastic! I'm loving this season so far, but I'm really going to miss Alara!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
OMG did I make the right choice! Actually maybe the jury is still out since I have not watch Discovery yet, BUT last night's Orville was fantastic! I'm loving this season so far, but I'm really going to miss Alara!

We've started streaming The Orville and I'm really enjoying it. My husband isn't as big of a fan, but he's watching it right along with me, so it mustn't be that bad! :D

And yes, we're going to miss Alara too! Also, I thought Rob Lowe was awesome!

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
We've started streaming The Orville and I'm really enjoying it. My husband isn't as big of a fan, but he's watching it right along with me, so it mustn't be that bad! :D

And yes, we're going to miss Alara too! Also, I thought Rob Lowe was awesome!

They seem to be getting quite a few cameos. Both Patrick Warburton and Ted Danson were on recently, in limited roles.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2