Fear The Walking Dead

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
For those who have watch the pilot, what are your thoughts?

I feel like the beginning started off well.

Sent from my Space-G iPhone

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It was pretty good. It's interesting to see things the beginnings of the Zombie apocalypse. Not sure where it can go differently than TWD. I'll keep watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
It was too slow. I understand the need for character development but it was only in the last 15 minutes that we got the first glimpse at any action. Between the first instance in the church and the student talking about a virus there was almost no mention of anything happening.
I was disappointed. I couldn't figure out why we had to spend so much time on the sister and her boyfriend.
Would have been good to have parallel shots of a developing situation while the characters were being developed.
I understand building tension, but I was bored, not tense.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to watch it...but I had a few issues...

- It was very slow...like painfully slow at times. This might come from the audience knowing more than the characters know in terms of story. This one is going through the character development we had from The Walking Dead, but without the drama or intensity of the full blown zombie apocalypse happening at the same time.

- Some of the situations were just stupid. The guy is a teacher, and he wanders into a crack den without a weapon in the middle of the night just nonchalantly? I mean really? And then at the end, when the drug dealer gets shot...they all stand around like that's an every day thing that wasn't a big deal, and then seeing him lurching around and they're like "Hey man! You ok?" I rolled my eyes a few times.

- Why did that high school kid know so much about what was going on? I mean it was just random, and then it was supposed to lead you to this epiphany like moment when the mom see's him on the bus as the **** started to hit the fan. I hope that isn't their approach to this whole thing with this show, because it was strange (at least to me).

...show is good...not great (in my opinion). Hopefully it'll pick up the pace soon. I like the characters and feel they have decent chemistry together, but to be honest, after seeing that episode, I can't see how they're going to make this unique from the main show...it just seems like it's going the route of "same story, different city"...sort of like you get with CSI or something.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to watch it...but I had a few issues...

- It was very slow...like painfully slow at times. This might come from the audience knowing more than the characters know in terms of story. This one is going through the character development we had from The Walking Dead, but without the drama or intensity of the full blown zombie apocalypse happening at the same time.

- Some of the situations were just stupid. The guy is a teacher, and he wanders into a crack den without a weapon in the middle of the night just nonchalantly? I mean really? And then at the end, when the drug dealer gets shot...they all stand around like that's an every day thing that wasn't a big deal, and then seeing him lurching around and they're like "Hey man! You ok?" I rolled my eyes a few times.

- Why did that high school kid know so much about what was going on? I mean it was just random, and then it was supposed to lead you to this epiphany like moment when the mom see's him on the bus as the **** started to hit the fan. I hope that isn't their approach to this whole thing with this show, because it was strange (at least to me).

...show is good...not great (in my opinion). Hopefully it'll pick up the pace soon. I like the characters and feel they have decent chemistry together, but to be honest, after seeing that episode, I can't see how they're going to make this unique from the main show...it just seems like it's going the route of "same story, different city"...sort of like you get with CSI or something.

This is exactly why I have my reservations about this. This seems like Caprica was to Battlestar Galactica more drama than anything else.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The more drama in this case I can see as necessary only because the apocalypse hasn't started yet. We're going to see a wide variety of acceptance and denial and all goes havoc that causes as well.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The more drama in this case I can see as necessary only because the apocalypse hasn't started yet. We're going to see a wide variety of acceptance and denial and all goes havoc that causes as well.

That is what I was hoping to see in this show...the reality of people having to face this apocalyptic event face to face, instead of coming into it after the fact with the original show. I really like that idea, and I really like what it could lead to (especially being based in such a large population core like Los Angeles). I just really want them to be smart with it...some of what I saw on Sunday was kind of blatantly stupid for the sake of story telling and drama, and I think that is insulting to the audience.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Example....I really liked the idea of having a high school student be the first to speak of the virus but where did that come from? I like the idea of someone sounding out an alarm that appears to be a tall tale or conspiracy theory and it's great that it's a marginalised student...a geeky type....but they let that drop. Would have increased tension if we see him discovering and finding information. But that opportunity was lost. Also we saw the dealer who appears perfectly healthy, why not give him subtle symptoms that would otherwise have been dismissed? How about a TV in the background during the home conversations talking about an unusual flu? Stuff that is not in your face but that an audience can piece together.
The best dramas are where you get hints that only an observant watcher could catch. Think The Sixth Sense. I caught that there was something odd because no one was directly talking to the Bruce Willis character and it held my interest.
Sure, develop character. But drop background hints.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree with all of you it's a lot of points in the show that are just plain dumb compared to the walking dead or any other apocalypse theme..

My 4 biggest gripes:
The fact they bothered to make a main character a drug addict who's basically struggling with reality already.

The know it all kid from the school, somehow knows what's going on.

The sister and her love life (don't really care about). Everytime they showed them together. They were hugged up.

And the biggest one of all that everyome has touched on. The mom and her superhero literature teaching bf, walk into the meth riddled abandoned church, no weapons or reasons to be safe, but the mom has a shoulder to cry on and her son's used needle reminisce.

Sent from my Space-G iPhone

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
While I see your points I'm just going to point out a few more things. One, this was the pilot episode, most pilot episodes are lacking. Two, TWD takes half a season and more for character development, so these seemingly wastes of time in the pilot may still be integral to the story. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
While I see your points I'm just going to point out a few more things. One, this was the pilot episode, most pilot episodes are lacking. Two, TWD takes half a season and more for character development, so these seemingly wastes of time in the pilot may still be integral to the story. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Actually, I disagree about the pilot thing...the shows that I have historically LOVED have had incredible pilots...Lost, TWD, Breaking Bad, The Flash, Banshee, Mr. Robot...I could go on and on with the series that just absolutely captured me off the bat. I think if the original show didn't exist, this show probably would have captivated me more, but it came across to me as redundant and slow.

That's not to say it won't BECOME good, there are plenty of shows I loved that started rather uninteresting (perfect example is Dexter...took me almost a full season before I was drawn in...Firefly too, wasn't a big fan of the pilot, but loved the rest of the season afterwards).

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I enjoyed the highway scene. I felt the tension and reality of that scene was very well done....you felt it before hearing the gun fire.

I also liked the opening scene where he runs into the street and the camera pans up to show a normal day in society.

The episode was slow, but I will tune in again to see where they go from here. I like the idea of seeing it happen before and during the outbreak. I just hope they do it well.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Picked up tonight. Better pace.

*********SPOILER ALERT*********

So do you guys think the kid is infected or is going through withdrawal? I've never heard of withdrawal causing seizures.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm seeing a possible withdrawal

Why did she leave the supplies at the school?

Seems like the cops are getting prepared with all the water there gathering up

I would rent a nice RV fill it up with supplies then run by the gun store

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing a possible withdrawal

Why did she leave the supplies at the school?

Seems like the cops are getting prepared with all the water there gathering up

I would rent a nice RV fill it up with supplies then run by the gun store

Yup but by this time it's too late to rent anything. Like Tobias said, "when civilization ends, it ends fast."

Yah I don't know of any school that would have oxycodone laying around.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I thought he was faking the seizure to get his sister to stay. Faking as in throwing up but faking convulsions.
It's all creative and artistic licenses. Do this thing even though it doesn't make sense to get you to wherever.
That's entertainment

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73