The Avengers: Age of Ultron...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm a big ol' comic book geek admittedly, and I get all hyped up for these movies more than almost anything else that comes out in the theater because I grew up with these characters on paper. Getting to see them in such glorious fashion as we see them now is just fantastic to me. That is about the only good thing I have to say about this movie...here is my review...

This movie to me felt like a bunch of filler material constructed in a way to make it seem like a feature film/story. I didn't particularly like the way they represented Ultron...the word "cheesy" comes to mind, and I feel that represents what they showed very well. Ultron was a whiney brat, cliche as hell...and ultimately, not sinister or villainous...he was kind of like a powerful annoyed child (no offense to James Spader who voiced him perfectly). And aside from being able to integrate into pretty much everything, he was kind of a...ahem...pu$$y (pardon my french).

Then there was the almost unbearable forced dialogue between the Avengers themselves...honestly, the only ones that were even remotely tolerable were Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, and they rarely talked! I was so sick of hearing Cap and Iron Man bicker with no real soul at all...by comparison, the first Avengers was a damn masterpiece (in terms of dialogue). I mean even the most basic audience member gets it...they don't play well together until the world is at immediate risk, then they come together as a real force...freakin' YAWN.

And then they just blow right past some seriously necessary details (IE: Thor's dream sequence that he gets the "answer" from that is simply alluded to and never actually shown, or Tony bringing Jarvis back to "life" just before creating Vision (it just kind of happened). I mean WTF? You show a bunch of horsesh*t lovey dovey romance between Black Widow and Bruce, but they leave that stuff out?

There were a few great parts (at least visually):

- Hulk Buster vs. Hulk was insane and epic...just as it should have been.
- Vision was near perfect in portrayal as I've always imagined him from the comics of past...Jarvis's voice was just an awesome application.
- Hulk rage was finally at a scale I believed it should have been...when he flies off the chain and isn't controllable, it was great to watch and hear.

...that's about it. I really REALLY wanted to love this movie, but like Iron Man 3, I feel they could have done so much more and really stuck to the same ol' formula that is now really growing kind of old and needs a fresh approach (hopefully we'll get it with the coming Infinity War story arc)...we'll see if they do Thanos justice, because he, as a villain, isn't going to be a character we can just dispatch over a 2 hour film, and if they do, they'll ruin this franchise (and it's heading that direction quite quickly).

I have to give Age of Ultron a big fat "meh". :not-interested:

Last edited:

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I've now seen The Avengers II, and I'm on the fence. It reminds me a little of Transformers, and all the 'massive' aliens and crashing buildings. I wanted more 'hand-to-hand' combat.
Then again, I was not an original comic junkie per se'. So, maybe this is how the story was in the comics?
I think I want my $15.95 back from AMC! All this hype, and then this?

I tell you what, Star Wars better not disappoint me at Christmas...

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Guess I'm in the minority because I LOVED it!!! Yeah, there were a few "head scratcher" moments. My biggest was the whole Hawkeye "family" sequence that came out of nowhere. Regardless, I thought the movie was well done. Maybe I'm not as critical because I've never read any Ultron story lines so I went in with a clear head?

Pluses:

Hulk vs Hulkbuster scene
Spader as Ultron
The Vision!!!
Scarlet Witch

Negatives:

Banner/ Romanov love story
Joss Whedon

I've heard several interviews with Whedon where he said that shooting this movie was exhausting for him....and it shows a bit. I really and fully believe that having the Russo brothers directing the Infinity War will inject some "freshness" into the franchise. I think they will do a great job with it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm not as critical because I've never read any Ultron story lines so I went in with a clear head?

Honestly, if you had read any of the comic story lines (old and new), this movie wouldn't really make any relevant sense at all based on how Ultron was created in this story...but I'll let you look that up if you want to see the various ways Ultron has come to existence over time. Even the short series "Age of Ultron" could only be considered a loose reference to this movie because, again, the stories don't really match up at all.

I just felt they didn't represent Ultron well at all...he's a super villain, but in the movie, he seemed very controllable. To me, Loki was a more destructive entity in the first movie. Like I mentioned before, to me, Ultron seemed more like a child throwing a temper tantrum.

I really hope Thanos is done well. Thanos is beyond what any of the villains, so far, have been. He's truly diabolical and evil. They have to represent this well on screen.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I loved it. It didn't hold the Magic the first one did, but I didn't expect it to. The first one was ground breaking, and the first time these characters came together.

I agree that the russos taking over will breathe new life into the series, but I can't wait for what is to come.

I wish war machine played a bigger part...but I've been saying that for every movie he is in. Haha

The vision was bad ***.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I just watched it again. I learned a lot more. But, question. I'm confused about one thing. Was Silver Surfer in the film? Is Vision really Silver Surfer?

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I really hope Thanos is done well. Thanos is beyond what any of the villains, so far, have been. He's truly diabolical and evil. They have to represent this well on screen.

Maybe...and this is a stretch...Marvel intentionally made Ultron look weaker so as to build up Thanos....especially to those not in the know? Just a thought.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I could have sworn I saw someone post something online about the Silver Surfer being in the film. And I couldn't understand how/why.

Well Fantastic Four is around the corner...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe...and this is a stretch...Marvel intentionally made Ultron look weaker so as to build up Thanos....especially to those not in the know? Just a thought.

Could very well be...Thanos could destroy Ultron (especially the one from this movie) with almost no effort, so it could be a very plausible theory.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I could have sworn I saw someone post something online about the Silver Surfer being in the film. And I couldn't understand how/why.

Well Fantastic Four is around the corner...

Nah, he wasn't in it. If you read an excerpt about silver surfer in relation to this movie, it was probably talking about the powers and abilities Vision has (or WILL have better put), and comparing them to Silver Surfer (who is equally or more powerful than Vision).

Silver Surfer probably won't be in the coming Fantastic 4 either...that was just a story arc in the last series of movies.

thebart

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I didn't love the first one like most people did, so I'm not rushing out to see the new one. I think the movie is too big for JW, speaking as a huge Joss fan. Maybe it's because I'm not into the marvel universe. The movie did not resonate with me. It also has no overarching idea, other than "we need to work together as a team." Well, duh.

I love Serenity way more. Maybe JW can leverage his avenger success into another Serenity-scale project, something between an avenger movie and a black and white Shakespeare adaptation.

beingbenjamin

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Ultron was definitely a very full movie. I enjoyed it very much but gonna have to see it again to process. I'm not quite sure why ultron himself was evil right out of the box. And that seems kind of important. I also didn't follow Thor's whole dip in the pool but upon a little online reading, it appears that was a little setup to Thor:Ragnarok. Hawkeye's family, well, it felt a little forced as a makeup for him being mind controlled in the first Avengers, but it's the development time we've been wanting for him.

I'm not in the camp of people complaining about Natasha and Bruce. She has always had a soft spot for Hulk which you can clearly see in the first Avengers. Hulk himself...wow. Epic. As was the culminating battle at the drill. I'm very satisfied with the screen time of all the heroes and can easily see why we are headed toward Civil War.

If anything this movie suffered from, I agree with one critic who said that to no fault of its own, it just lacked the "specialness" of the team coming together for the first time, augmented by them popping in and out of all the solo movies, (Capt. America 3 is practically Avengers 2.5. Who DON'T they have cast in it yet?)

I have this weird feeling of sadness when things change in these movies because I so much like the way things have been. The end left us with a lot of changes. But as good as Marvel is doing, I'm sure the New Avengers will be just as fun. Still, and I'll see it again before definitively placing it there, I'd put ultron in top 5 of marvel movies.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Ultron was definitely a very full movie. I enjoyed it very much but gonna have to see it again to process. I'm not quite sure why ultron himself was evil right out of the box. And that seems kind of important. I also didn't follow Thor's whole dip in the pool but upon a little online reading, it appears that was a little setup to Thor:Ragnarok. Hawkeye's family, well, it felt a little forced as a makeup for him being mind controlled in the first Avengers, but it's the development time we've been wanting for him.

I'm not in the camp of people complaining about Natasha and Bruce. She has always had a soft spot for Hulk which you can clearly see in the first Avengers. Hulk himself...wow. Epic. As was the culminating battle at the drill. I'm very satisfied with the screen time of all the heroes and can easily see why we are headed toward Civil War.

If anything this movie suffered from, I agree with one critic who said that to no fault of its own, it just lacked the "specialness" of the team coming together for the first time, augmented by them popping in and out of all the solo movies, (Capt. America 3 is practically Avengers 2.5. Who DON'T they have cast in it yet?)

I have this weird feeling of sadness when things change in these movies because I so much like the way things have been. The end left us with a lot of changes. But as good as Marvel is doing, I'm sure the New Avengers will be just as fun. Still, and I'll see it again before definitively placing it there, I'd put ultron in top 5 of marvel movies.

Perfectly worded.....the team coming together for the first time in the Avengers can never be duplicated, because it's a one time thing that literally can't happen again.

That's why I feel so many people felt this movie didn't have the "magic" of the first. But there's no way it could.

I loved this movie. More so than the first. I feel that I can re watch this movie more than the first....which has a really long buildup until the actual action. This one is non stop right out of the gate.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I went and saw it again today with my brother and nephew...it was a little better the second time around, but I still feel it's a weaker movie than the first, and that the overall feel from Ultron was pretty weak.

I did notice the second go 'round that the area in Africa they were in was where Black Panther comes from! I don't know why that didn't occur to me the first time, but yes, that is where we'll meet Black Panther!

Also, Hawkeye is having a convo near the beginning of the movie where he goes "I was fine chasing cold leads on our missing person's case"...this is in direct reference to Bucky (Winter Soldier).

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I went and saw it again today with my brother and nephew...it was a little better the second time around, but I still feel it's a weaker movie than the first, and that the overall feel from Ultron was pretty weak.

I did notice the second go 'round that the area in Africa they were in was where Black Panther comes from! I don't know why that didn't occur to me the first time, but yes, that is where we'll meet Black Panther!

Also, Hawkeye is having a convo near the beginning of the movie where he goes "I was fine chasing cold leads on our missing person's case"...this is in direct reference to Bucky (Winter Soldier).

Falcon was the one chasing cold leads, but yea...that was Bucky.

Banner actually mispronounces wakanda in the scene when they're talking about it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro