'Better Call Saul'

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'll preface this by saying I am absolutely against spin-offs. From what I've seen from spin-offs in my lifetime they deduce nothing but bad idea writing as they cave in to demand from fans wanting something. I was skeptical when I started hearing the rumblings about Better Call Saul. But when it became a fact that Vince Gilligan would be producing this along with another guy from Breaking Bad, Peter Gould, I figured I'd give it the benefit of the doubt considering we'd never seen a show like it.

I caught the first two episodes and I have to say that I liked them very much. Mostly the second episode. The directing was spectacular. I created this thread to see how it goes along as we dip ahead into the next eight episodes. It's definitely a show I'm going to follow. Not because I feel like I have to (considering how much I loved Breaking Bad), but because I really like what I have seen so far. Believe me, I'm the first to be critical of anything no matter how closely affiliated I am to it or emotionally invested. I was an avid fan of The Walking Dead until the middle of this season's first half. It just wasn't interesting to me anymore and I stopped watching. Hopefully if this show stays put, it won't overstay its welcome.

I urge you to check it out.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Watched the first hour...haven't watched the 2nd hour. It's a really good show, and it has a flavor of Breaking Bad. The one thing that I wondered before the show came on was just how interesting could Saul's story really be, but now that I see what they are doing with it, it really seems there is a lot of things they could fill this plot with.

The lovable scum bag...they seem to be using the same kind of emotional attachment you had for Walter White, but in a different way here.

I like the show, but I'm not in love with it...yet. It took a few episodes for me to really get into Breaking Bad as well.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm usually easy to please but after watching the premiere I decided it's not for me. Just seemed like they were trying to hard and stitched it together

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I really liked both episodes. Looking forward to see more of Saul's/Jimmy's story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm usually easy to please but after watching the premiere I decided it's not for me. Just seemed like they were trying to hard and stitched it together

I kind of felt the same way...it did seem to stitch a lot of detail together to try and get you to see an overall story arc here. One of the problems I had though was many of the BB references in it are VERY obscure, and things that most fans probably didn't recognize...a couple of details were more obvious, but still not glaringly, and that might throw some people off the trail.

The Cinnabon detail was one that people were hit or miss about...I recognized it, but my wife didn't really until I said something.

Introducing Tuco in episode 1...he was such a bit part, but a nice little reminder of the craziness from BB. Many people might not have even recognized him though.

Mike was obvious...but was that just to bring back some memories? Will he be used much in the plot?

...like I said, I liked it, but didn't love it. I have some reservations about spinning off a character show, but I'm definitely giving it a fair chance of a few episodes myself.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Mike was obvious...but was that just to bring back some memories? Will he be used much in the plot?

I actually think he'll become integral. I always did wonder how Mike came about when it came to Saul considering he was Saul's "clean up" guy for when Jesse's ugly gf died.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Krysten Ritter is sexy as hell. Tall jawn too 5'9" according to IMDB
5f6095633912a7a293a6abb4364a3742.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Finished the 2nd hour...I am 110% on board now. I found my love for it, and the leg breaking part was INTENSE!

I love his nuances...he's a sleaze ball, but he's so lovable!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Finished the 2nd hour...I am 110% on board now. I found my love for it, and the leg breaking part was INTENSE!

I love his nuances...he's a sleaze ball, but he's so lovable!

That signature camera shot of the desert was beautiful. That episode just gave you that dramatic feel that Breaking Bad does without it actually having to be Breaking Bad.

Side-note: I hope there is a story line as to how he meets the vacuum cleaner guy.

twilite2000

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Loved BB, and BCS has big shoes to fill. Didn't care so much for the first 2 episodes, but will continue to watch hoping things will improve. Though I did catch and like the the references to BB. Kinda made me feel it's worth sticking around to see how this show plays out.