So to start, my wife absolutely hates Keanu Reeves. She can't stand him in anything he's in because she can't understand how he gets work. Me personally, I like him...I've enjoyed the vast majority of his movies in the past, and this was no exception. The real beauty of it though is...my wife absolutely LOVED this movie. Something she specifically told me she had zero interest in seeing before I kind of strong armed her.

For those that don't know, this is a pure, raw revenge story. John Wick (Keanu Reeves) is a former assassin who has "retired" from the world. His wife dies in the movie from cancer, and he takes it pretty badly...she leaves him this adorable little puppy to help him cope with the loss, and it really works for him...then one day a group of Russian thugs (one being the son of a major crime boss) decide they want his car, and they follow him home one night, beat him half the death and they kill his dog.

And then all hell breaks loose...and one of the finest Revenge movies I have ever seen is presented to you in all of it's action packed, gory glory!

I knew this movie was going to be awesome when the mob boss makes a phone call to find out who's car they stole, and when told, his face goes ghostly white, as if he knows the fury that is coming behind John Wick. It was immensely satisfying, and they used this really awesome fighting style with firearms that kind of separated it from your normal action flick...it reminded me of the "Gun-Fu" style you saw in the movie Equilibrium with Christian Bale.

It was brutal and fast paced from beginning to end, and while I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone, I will say that I have rarely been so satisfied with such a story.

A must see in my opinion. It surprised me because I wasn't expecting much and it REALLY impressed me. Better than that, it impressed my wife, and knowing her distaste for Reeves, that says A LOT.
    01-26-2015 02:24 PM
    I've been meaning to check that out and I will be.

I wanted to chime in because since we're on the subject of revenge movies, there are two indy movies from last year that I saw that I absolutely loved:

'Cold In July' and 'Blue Ruin' for anyone that wants to check those out.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cold_in_july_2014/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blue_ruin/
    01-26-2015 02:36 PM
    I see that it'll be available for rent via iTunes a week from tomorrow (Feb. 3rd). I'll check it out then. Anyway, thanks for the review...
    01-26-2015 03:07 PM

I wanted to chime in because since we're on the subject of revenge movies, there are two indy movies from last year that I saw that I absolutely loved:

Cold in July - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Ruin - Rotten Tomatoes
    I have never heard of those movies...I'll have to give them a shot!
    01-26-2015 03:47 PM
    I loved this movie is an absolute must see in the theater!! The action in this movie was incredible. That fight scene in his house was off the chain hell all of them were LOL. I hope there's another one either a prequel or sequel.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.
    01-26-2015 04:58 PM
    I didn't know it was still in theaters.
    01-26-2015 05:15 PM
    I loved this movie is an absolute must see in the theater!! The action in this movie was incredible. That fight scene in his house was off the chain hell all of them were LOL. I hope there's another one either a prequel or sequel.

A prequel would be absolutely amazing! Hell, I'd settle for a spin off story about that "hotel" and what that group of assassins was all about!
    01-26-2015 05:28 PM
    A prequel would be absolutely amazing! Hell, I'd settle for a spin off story about that "hotel" and what that group of assassins was all about!
    Yeah that would be awesome! I would love to see them explore more about the Continental and who these assassins are exactly.

LOL it's not.

01-27-2015 01:01 AM
    The one thing to take away from this movie: don't kill his dog. In The Name Of All That Is Holy, do NOT kill his dog.

As for revenge style movies, probably the best one I've ever seen was Payback with Mel Gibson. And probably his best role. He was a pretty bad *** dude in that movie.
    01-27-2015 04:09 AM
    SOMEBODY KILLED A DOG?!?!!? Oh NO HEEEEELLLLL NO!!!!!!

M U R D E R!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    01-27-2015 05:16 AM
    And then he put an iPhone in a blender...
    01-27-2015 05:38 AM
    That's actually OK with me. BUT.NOT.THE.DOGGY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad
    01-27-2015 07:26 AM
    Ditto on a prequel.
    01-27-2015 07:30 AM
    It's no longer showing in theaters in my area, and I've even checked the $2.50 movie theatre....I can wait a week from today to see it on my big screen via my Apple TV.
    01-27-2015 09:08 AM
    Saw this movie first on IMAX here in NYC then 4 more times...

This movie absolutely KICKS @SS!

Convinced many friends to see and they all came away talking about how good the film was.

They're planning a sequel.

I even picked up the sound track. The song THINK overlayed to the club scene was amazing.

I guess by now you know my opinion on the film. :-)
    01-27-2015 12:37 PM
    Sean, I can understand your wife's dislike of KR..... he has the most expressionless face in Hollywood if you ask me.

Its like his whole face got a botox shot.
    01-27-2015 05:22 PM
    Watched it last night.. was pretty good. Another good one is Denzel Washington's Equalizer.
    01-28-2015 12:07 AM

Cold in July - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Ruin - Rotten Tomatoes
    Agreed! Both are great movies...
    01-28-2015 12:08 AM
    Watched it last night.. was pretty good. Another good one is Denzel Washington's Equalizer.
    Absolutely hated Equalizer...movie felt so poorly written, and seemed to have two completely separate plots going on within the same story (and couldn't quite cross them over properly in my opinion). Wasn't even really worth a review to me...
    01-28-2015 12:58 PM
    SOMEBODY KILLED A DOG?!?!!? Oh NO HEEEEELLLLL NO!!!!!!

M U R D E R!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    I'd be hellbent on revenge to if someone killed my dog. That is a HUGE NO NO.

Sent from my Golden Apple Six
    qbnkelt likes this.
    01-28-2015 01:12 PM
    Absolutely hated Equalizer...movie felt so poorly written, and seemed to have two completely separate plots going on within the same story (and couldn't quite cross them over properly in my opinion). Wasn't even really worth a review to me...
    Yeah, it wasn't a fantastic movie, but neither was John Wick. I'd put them both in the same pile of 'good hit man movies'.
    01-28-2015 10:06 PM
    To me, a good movie was Interstellar...
    01-28-2015 10:08 PM
    To me, a good movie was Interstellar...
    I actually thought MM was not the best choice for the lead in Interstellar. Good film? Yes. Great film? No.

The beauty of Wick, in my opinion, was that it did not pretend to be anything other than what it was.

A film about a good who wants nothing more than to be left alone, NOT being left alone.

Simple and enjoyable when taken in context.

I write a film review blog, be doing it for about 3 years now. Love movies of all types.
    01-29-2015 12:50 AM
    I actually thought MM was not the best choice for the lead in Interstellar. Good film? Yes. Great film? No.

The beauty of Wick, in my opinion, was that it did not pretend to be anything other than what it was.

A film about a good who wants nothing more than to be left alone, NOT being left alone.

Simple and enjoyable when taken in context.

I write a film review blog, be doing it for about 3 years now. Love movies of all types.
    Totally agree...I didn't buy his character outside of the farm intro. His adolescent daughter was a more convincing "scientist" than he was as the main plot began revealing itself. And it seems they got so invested in the whole dimensional mind game at the end that they forgot the character relationships...taking one of them and just platooning her on some planet while we visited her in time as she was dying. I mean sure, they allude to MM going after her at the end, but really? That's what we get? I could have done with a whole lot less "ghost" talk in the 5th dimension and a whole lot more going to get her and finding out what she was doing on the other world.

Given Nolan's previous project, and the almost perfect balance of character development and satisfying story completion, I was surprised to walk out of Interstellar feeling so underwhelmed, especially with the drool worthy excitement I had building up to the release.
    Soeasy likes this.
    01-29-2015 02:20 AM
    Totally agree...I didn't buy his character outside of the farm intro. His adolescent daughter was a more convincing "scientist" than he was as the main plot began revealing itself. And it seems they got so invested in the whole dimensional mind game at the end that they forgot the character relationships...taking one of them and just platooning her on some planet while we visited her in time as she was dying. I mean sure, they allude to MM going after her at the end, but really? That's what we get? I could have done with a whole lot less "ghost" talk in the 5th dimension and a whole lot more going to get her and finding out what she was doing on the other world.

Given Nolan's previous project, and the almost perfect balance of character development and satisfying story completion, I was surprised to walk out of Interstellar feeling so underwhelmed, especially with the drool worthy excitement I had building up to the release.
    Yes! The build-up to Interstellar was above-board and I was absolutey expecting a much better film.

Again, not saying it a "bad" film by any stretch, but if both films were still in the theaters and I had a rainy Sunday and wanted to catch an entertaining film, I'd go with Wick. Again!
    Last edited by Soeasy; 01-29-2015 at 07:27 PM.
    01-29-2015 02:36 PM
29 12