Boyhood

palandri

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I knew nothing about the movie Boyhood, but after it won the Best Drama Motion Picture at the Golden Globe awards and got an Academy Award nominated for Best Picture, my wife started looking into it. It was filmed with the same actors over 12 years. It's 2 hours and 46 minutes and it kept my undivided attention through the whole 2 hours and 46 minutes. It's like you become one with the movie. It's still showing in movie theaters, but it's available for rent. I rented it through Google Play.

The ending line in the movie is, "You know how everyone's always saying seize the moment? I don't know, I'm kind of thinking it's the other way around, you know, like the moment seizes us", which you'll totally understand after watching the movie.

Boyhood ? IFC Entertainment

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Watched it because of the monumental undertaking these people had filming it...but in the end, I found the movie pretty boring and kind of cliche. I mean sure, unless you raise some kind of really gifted children or the next Charles Manson, most regular, everyday family stories will be a bit mundane, but this one, because of what they were trying to portray with the time line, just felt so redundant. I did like the way it represented the mom, who just had really bad luck in choosing men, but in the end she accomplished her goals (in terms of school and stuff)...Patricia Arquette is a great actress and she certainly showed this here.

Ethan Hawke seemed like a shadow in this story...and I guess for good reason, his character was the divorced father who just pops up here and there to try and be a part of his kids life. I could really relate to the kids in this situation because my dad was similar...just forcing the issue, instead of enjoying the time they had together, he tried to fill it with being a half father half friend, which was mostly just annoying.

A lot of people reviewed this movie saying they felt like they were part of the family at the end, but to me, I couldn't feel much more than just a creepy observer really, watching their lives play out on "hidden" cameras (for lack of better term). To me, it didn't live up to the hype, but I have to respect the investment...I can't imagine such a long undertaking.

palandri

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I totally understand what you're saying. After I watched the trailer to the movie I didn't think I was going to like it. I thought it looked boring, but my wife wanted to watch it, and it had real good ratings from Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. I thought there must be something to it. Drama hasn't ever been my favorite genre. I normally like a good science fiction movie.

I guess what really drew me into the movie was I was able to relate to a lot of the situations, by either experiencing it or seeing another experience it while growing up.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73