Boy oh boy...I'll quickly get my review out of the way here...this was, BY FAR, the best movie I've seen this award season. As the credits began to roll at the end, there wasn't a dry eye in the house, including my own. Powerful, intense and incredible. This movie is going to stick with me for a while.

For starters, I didn't know much about Chris Kyle...I knew how he died, and I knew he was know as the most deadly sniper in American history. This movie gives you his life on a silver platter...you watch his military life and you watch his home life, and you watch as the roller coaster ride goes up and down between the two. It's very eye opening.

Something I didn't know that is that Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood were both working on the script BEFORE Kyle died. This gave the movie an extra sense of connection to me...and truly, pushed me over the edge in terms of respect and appreciation of it.

I won't get into the plot, as it's all out there to read if you wish to...but I heavily recommend you watch this movie. It's moving and the performances within it are truly award winning. This is one of those rare MUST see movies for every person...regardless of your film taste.
    01-17-2015 10:19 PM
    My 15 year old son wants to watch it. Is it to much? Thoughts?
    01-17-2015 11:44 PM
    Boy oh boy...I'll quickly get my review out of the way here...this was, BY FAR, the best movie I've seen this award season. As the credits began to roll at the end, there wasn't a dry eye in the house, including my own. ..
    Is it out on DVD or digital download already? or did you go to the theater?
    01-18-2015 12:31 AM
    I saw it too. Thought it was incredible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-18-2015 07:01 AM
    Is it out on DVD or digital download already? or did you go to the theater?
    Theater...this is definitely worth theater price.
    01-18-2015 11:14 AM
    My 15 year old son wants to watch it. Is it to much? Thoughts?
    It is very violent...and the subject really gets into PTSD, which might be difficult for a teenager to comprehend (I remember hearing a kid in the audience after the movie ask his dad if Kyle was "crazy"...which is probably what a teenager would understand of what was shown). If I had a mature 15 year old, I would say absolutely...normal or immature 15 year old? Probably not.
    zerog46 likes this.
    01-18-2015 11:16 AM
    Thanks for the review Sean, I really enjoy watching all types of war movies and what not so I will definitely give this one a watch. Just curious but did you ever watch Fury? I'm wondering if you plan on doing a review for it as I would like to know your thoughts on it.
    01-18-2015 02:09 PM
    Thanks for the review Sean, I really enjoy watching all types of war movies and what not so I will definitely give this one a watch. Just curious but did you ever watch Fury? I'm wondering if you plan on doing a review for it as I would like to know your thoughts on it.
    Great movie, but I saw it at a premiere quite some time back. I'd need to watch it again to give it a fair review, but I remember loving it!
    01-18-2015 07:38 PM
    Great movie, but I saw it at a premiere quite some time back. I'd need to watch it again to give it a fair review, but I remember loving it!
    Yes, "Fury" is an excellent movie, in my opinion, and better than I had expected it to be.
    01-18-2015 08:20 PM
    As for the movie, "American Sniper", I can't wait to see it. Thanks for the review, Sean....
    01-18-2015 08:22 PM
    It must be great, I'm reading the book. But you know it's gotta be good when that fat piece of **** Michael Moore has the balls to call a dead man a "coward".
    01-18-2015 08:32 PM
    It was decent enough for me ( I'm not American) however research after the movie on the character portrayed a different light, which had me asking, is it just a one sided story?
    By that I mean the feel good type American hero tales.....

Just my view, I mean no disrespect towards fellow iMore members
    01-18-2015 09:37 PM
    It was decent enough for me ( I'm not American) however research after the movie on the character portrayed a different light, which had me asking, is it just a one sided story?

It's possible, but like any movie, the viewers are treated to someone else's perspective. That's why many people are often disappointed with a particular film after having read the book.
    01-18-2015 09:53 PM

Care to share what you did this "research" on? What source you used? This film was based off Kyle's autobiography that he published just before his death...so given the source material for the script, I'm not sure why you're questioning the one sidedness of the story, since that is exactly what it was...a man's account of what he experienced being the most deadly sniper in American history.

I mean I'm sure there are a lot of Iraqis that feel fairly different about his actions...enough to where he earned several nicknames over there. This would make "other views" kind of an obvious occurrence. I'm curious what you found that portrayed him in a "different light" though.
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    01-18-2015 09:53 PM

I'm sure the enemies he was killing felt it was pretty one sided... They couldn't see him but he could kill the heck outa them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-18-2015 09:59 PM
    Care to share what you did this "research" on? What source you used?...
    I did a search on American Sniper after you did your review, and I found some negative things being said about Chris Kyle, like this: The real American Sniper was a hate-filled killer. Why are simplistic patriots treating him as a hero? | Lindy West | Comment is free | The Guardian

I am a veteran so I can understand a lot of the things he went through and I can understand his mindset. War is hell, and I would never disrespect the guy over a few comments given his MOS.

Off Topic: Over at the iMore sister site Windows Central, we have a Military thread for veteran. We appreciate any pictures posted by veterans, so please feel free to post any pictures you may have.: Military personnel...grab a can of night vision and line up with your BA eleven-hundred novembers - Windows Central Forums
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    01-18-2015 11:15 PM
    I did a search on American Sniper after you did your review, and I found some negative things being said about Chris Kyle, like this: The real American Sniper was a hate-filled killer. Why are simplistic patriots treating him as a hero? | Lindy West | Comment is free | The Guardian

I am a veteran so I can understand a lot of the things he went through and I can understand his mindset. War is hell, and I would never disrespect the guy over a few comments given his MOS.

Off Topic: Over at the iMore sister site Windows Central, we have a Military thread for veteran. We appreciate any pictures posted by veterans, so please feel free to post any pictures you may have.: Military personnel...grab a can of night vision and line up with your BA eleven-hundred novembers - Windows Central Forums
    I read the article you posted and it is poignant. However, I look at it a little differently. One, anyone brave enough to go to a foreign country to fight for our freedom that we enjoy everyday in the comfortable United States should be honored. I'm not going to pretend that the guys and gals that go off to war and survive have not been apart of or witness to things that we could consider evil. But I would imagine that they do what they need to do to get the job done and survive. These people weren't killers before they were deployed. They were regular citizens. They were asked to kill. They were asked to do things that weren't originally in their hearts. I can only imagine if this becomes the norm for a person how it would change them. I could also see a person diminishing another person's worth (like the enemy they were directed to defeat) to achieve the objective. We have to remember, these men over there see the "enemy" also doing evil things. And killing guys that they have lived with, fought with, trusted, and relied on. Someone shoots your friend's head off in front of you, your feelings about that person and the regime that person is from isn't going to be positive. We need to respect that. We have gotten into a bad habit in our country of sending our people to war and then finding fault with them as they have saved our lives and freedoms. Because of guys like Chris Kyle, I can sit here today in my living room, on my iPad, with my daughter and type out my thoughts about him and this movie. He killed a lot of people so I could live without having to kill anyone or watch the people I love get killed. So I will not be deeming him anything less than a hero. He had to do job that I was fortunate not to have to do. I'm not a right winger. I'm a liberal. But what's right is right. And he fought for us. Just like the other millions of veterans out there. They have made the ultimate sacrifice, they are sacrificing their souls for us. And it's remarkable.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    01-19-2015 06:09 AM
    My source is 20 years in the Navy and having actually been on a ship with a SEAL team and talking to them. And I feel pity for anyone using The Guardian as a source of information on anything.
    01-19-2015 08:54 AM
    I'm very torn about this movie. I want to see it but I'm afraid that it's one that I won't be able to shake after I leave.
    01-19-2015 10:01 AM
    Boy oh boy...I'll quickly get my review out of the way here...this was, BY FAR, the best movie I've seen this award season. As the credits began to roll at the end, there wasn't a dry eye in the house, including my own. Powerful, intense and incredible. This movie is going to stick with me for a while.

For starters, I didn't know much about Chris Kyle...I knew how he died, and I knew he was know as the most deadly sniper in American history. This movie gives you his life on a silver platter...you watch his military life and you watch his home life, and you watch as the roller coaster ride goes up and down between the two. It's very eye opening.

Something I didn't know that is that Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood were both working on the script BEFORE Kyle died. This gave the movie an extra sense of connection to me...and truly, pushed me over the edge in terms of respect and appreciation of it.

I won't get into the plot, as it's all out there to read if you wish to...but I heavily recommend you watch this movie. It's moving and the performances within it are truly award winning. This is one of those rare MUST see movies for every person...regardless of your film taste.
    I read the book, so I am interested to see how similar it is to the book. It was a great story, and from what I am hearing about reviews seems like a great film as well.
    01-19-2015 12:24 PM
    I'm very torn about this movie. I want to see it but I'm afraid that it's one that I won't be able to shake after I leave.
    It does stay with you. But I do think it is important that we acknowledge what these soldiers are dealing with on our behalf. It helps appreciate their sacrifices.
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    01-19-2015 12:26 PM
    It does stay with you. But I do think it is important that we acknowledge what these soldiers are dealing with on our behalf. It helps appreciate their sacrifices.
    Oh trust me I know about the sacrifice made on our behalf. It's just that I tend to take these very emotionally. I can't detach afterwards.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    01-19-2015 12:46 PM
    Oh trust me I know about the sacrifice made on our behalf. It's just that I tend to take these very emotionally. I can't detach afterwards.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    Yeah. I know what you mean.
    01-19-2015 01:00 PM
    We saw this movie the other day too. I haven't been to a movie theater for a movie in years, but decided this was one I wanted to see there. It was well worth it.

Between the fact that Clint Eastwood directed it (he has an amazing talent for getting deep emotion from a guy's perspective) and Bradley Cooper's transformation for this role - it was incredible. With each successive tour Chris Kyle had in the war, you saw everyone around him losing emotional ground until it finally got to Chris and he too hit that emotional wall. Yes, they started working on this script with Chris before he was killed, and met with and spent time with his widow after... and I was very happy with how Eastwood dealt with that sad outcome at the end of the movie - tastefully done.

It's an amazing story and was told in a way that didn't feel political in any way - just a story about a man and his journey physically and emotionally. Just sad that there are so-called journalists out there who write horrible things about this man, or snipers in general (in order to simply get their own 15 minutes by any means necessary), when they themselves have never served and have no personal investment in having their lives on the line and having a single person with the weight of the world on their shoulders trying to keep multiple brothers alive from hundreds of angles for hours on end, months at a time. I won't give those people an ounce of my time and I won't give the rags who publish their comments a moment of attention. /rant

In the end... whether you see this in a theater or wait for the DVD release - I'd say it's worth watching!
    01-19-2015 01:13 PM
    Thought it was a great movie. However, I knew that as soon as I saw it that jewish Hollywood would start coming out against it.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    01-19-2015 01:14 PM
54 123