American Sniper...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Boy oh boy...I'll quickly get my review out of the way here...this was, BY FAR, the best movie I've seen this award season. As the credits began to roll at the end, there wasn't a dry eye in the house, including my own. Powerful, intense and incredible. This movie is going to stick with me for a while.

For starters, I didn't know much about Chris Kyle...I knew how he died, and I knew he was know as the most deadly sniper in American history. This movie gives you his life on a silver platter...you watch his military life and you watch his home life, and you watch as the roller coaster ride goes up and down between the two. It's very eye opening.

Something I didn't know that is that Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood were both working on the script BEFORE Kyle died. This gave the movie an extra sense of connection to me...and truly, pushed me over the edge in terms of respect and appreciation of it.

I won't get into the plot, as it's all out there to read if you wish to...but I heavily recommend you watch this movie. It's moving and the performances within it are truly award winning. This is one of those rare MUST see movies for every person...regardless of your film taste.

palandri

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Boy oh boy...I'll quickly get my review out of the way here...this was, BY FAR, the best movie I've seen this award season. As the credits began to roll at the end, there wasn't a dry eye in the house, including my own. ..

Is it out on DVD or digital download already? or did you go to the theater?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My 15 year old son wants to watch it. Is it to much? Thoughts?

It is very violent...and the subject really gets into PTSD, which might be difficult for a teenager to comprehend (I remember hearing a kid in the audience after the movie ask his dad if Kyle was "crazy"...which is probably what a teenager would understand of what was shown). If I had a mature 15 year old, I would say absolutely...normal or immature 15 year old? Probably not.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review Sean, I really enjoy watching all types of war movies and what not so I will definitely give this one a watch. Just curious but did you ever watch Fury? I'm wondering if you plan on doing a review for it as I would like to know your thoughts on it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the review Sean, I really enjoy watching all types of war movies and what not so I will definitely give this one a watch. Just curious but did you ever watch Fury? I'm wondering if you plan on doing a review for it as I would like to know your thoughts on it.

Great movie, but I saw it at a premiere quite some time back. I'd need to watch it again to give it a fair review, but I remember loving it!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Great movie, but I saw it at a premiere quite some time back. I'd need to watch it again to give it a fair review, but I remember loving it!

Yes, "Fury" is an excellent movie, in my opinion, and better than I had expected it to be.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As for the movie, "American Sniper", I can't wait to see it. Thanks for the review, Sean....:)

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
It must be great, I'm reading the book. But you know it's gotta be good when that fat piece of **** Michael Moore has the balls to call a dead man a "coward".

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It was decent enough for me ( I'm not American) however research after the movie on the character portrayed a different light, which had me asking, is it just a one sided story?
By that I mean the feel good type American hero tales.....

Just my view, I mean no disrespect towards fellow iMore members

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It was decent enough for me ( I'm not American) however research after the movie on the character portrayed a different light, which had me asking, is it just a one sided story?

It's possible, but like any movie, the viewers are treated to someone else's perspective. That's why many people are often disappointed with a particular film after having read the book.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Care to share what you did this "research" on? What source you used? This film was based off Kyle's autobiography that he published just before his death...so given the source material for the script, I'm not sure why you're questioning the one sidedness of the story, since that is exactly what it was...a man's account of what he experienced being the most deadly sniper in American history.

I mean I'm sure there are a lot of Iraqis that feel fairly different about his actions...enough to where he earned several nicknames over there. This would make "other views" kind of an obvious occurrence. I'm curious what you found that portrayed him in a "different light" though.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

I'm sure the enemies he was killing felt it was pretty one sided... They couldn't see him but he could kill the heck outa them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

palandri

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Care to share what you did this "research" on? What source you used?...

I did a search on American Sniper after you did your review, and I found some negative things being said about Chris Kyle, like this: The real American Sniper was a hate-filled killer. Why are simplistic patriots treating him as a hero? | Lindy West | Comment is free | The Guardian

I am a veteran so I can understand a lot of the things he went through and I can understand his mindset. War is hell, and I would never disrespect the guy over a few comments given his MOS.

Off Topic: Over at the iMore sister site Windows Central, we have a Military thread for veteran. We appreciate any pictures posted by veterans, so please feel free to post any pictures you may have.: Military personnel...grab a can of night vision and line up with your BA eleven-hundred novembers - Windows Central Forums

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I did a search on American Sniper after you did your review, and I found some negative things being said about Chris Kyle, like this: The real American Sniper was a hate-filled killer. Why are simplistic patriots treating him as a hero? | Lindy West | Comment is free | The Guardian

I am a veteran so I can understand a lot of the things he went through and I can understand his mindset. War is hell, and I would never disrespect the guy over a few comments given his MOS.

Off Topic: Over at the iMore sister site Windows Central, we have a Military thread for veteran. We appreciate any pictures posted by veterans, so please feel free to post any pictures you may have.: Military personnel...grab a can of night vision and line up with your BA eleven-hundred novembers - Windows Central Forums

I read the article you posted and it is poignant. However, I look at it a little differently. One, anyone brave enough to go to a foreign country to fight for our freedom that we enjoy everyday in the comfortable United States should be honored. I'm not going to pretend that the guys and gals that go off to war and survive have not been apart of or witness to things that we could consider evil. But I would imagine that they do what they need to do to get the job done and survive. These people weren't killers before they were deployed. They were regular citizens. They were asked to kill. They were asked to do things that weren't originally in their hearts. I can only imagine if this becomes the norm for a person how it would change them. I could also see a person diminishing another person's worth (like the enemy they were directed to defeat) to achieve the objective. We have to remember, these men over there see the "enemy" also doing evil things. And killing guys that they have lived with, fought with, trusted, and relied on. Someone shoots your friend's head off in front of you, your feelings about that person and the regime that person is from isn't going to be positive. We need to respect that. We have gotten into a bad habit in our country of sending our people to war and then finding fault with them as they have saved our lives and freedoms. Because of guys like Chris Kyle, I can sit here today in my living room, on my iPad, with my daughter and type out my thoughts about him and this movie. He killed a lot of people so I could live without having to kill anyone or watch the people I love get killed. So I will not be deeming him anything less than a hero. He had to do job that I was fortunate not to have to do. I'm not a right winger. I'm a liberal. But what's right is right. And he fought for us. Just like the other millions of veterans out there. They have made the ultimate sacrifice, they are sacrificing their souls for us. And it's remarkable.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
My source is 20 years in the Navy and having actually been on a ship with a SEAL team and talking to them. And I feel pity for anyone using The Guardian as a source of information on anything.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm very torn about this movie. I want to see it but I'm afraid that it's one that I won't be able to shake after I leave.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Boy oh boy...I'll quickly get my review out of the way here...this was, BY FAR, the best movie I've seen this award season. As the credits began to roll at the end, there wasn't a dry eye in the house, including my own. Powerful, intense and incredible. This movie is going to stick with me for a while.

For starters, I didn't know much about Chris Kyle...I knew how he died, and I knew he was know as the most deadly sniper in American history. This movie gives you his life on a silver platter...you watch his military life and you watch his home life, and you watch as the roller coaster ride goes up and down between the two. It's very eye opening.

Something I didn't know that is that Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood were both working on the script BEFORE Kyle died. This gave the movie an extra sense of connection to me...and truly, pushed me over the edge in terms of respect and appreciation of it.

I won't get into the plot, as it's all out there to read if you wish to...but I heavily recommend you watch this movie. It's moving and the performances within it are truly award winning. This is one of those rare MUST see movies for every person...regardless of your film taste.

I read the book, so I am interested to see how similar it is to the book. It was a great story, and from what I am hearing about reviews seems like a great film as well.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW