The Movie, "GOD Is Not Dead"

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just finished watching the movie, "GOD Is Not Dead" and it was excellent. I really enjoyed watching it and am a bit ticked that I didn't watch it sooner. Have any of you seen it? If so, did you like it?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Was debating picking it up the other day but wasn't sure about it. Now I probably will check it out . Thanks for the review

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I saw it in theaters and I loved it!! I didn't need a movie to tell me God is real but I think it's excellent for people who aren't Christians to get them to think.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The acting...it was so, so bad. I'd do one of my typical reviews...but for some reason I felt it wouldn't be untactful, and I can appreciate the objective they were trying to get at. I just wish they had chosen some decent actors that didn't make the whole thing feel so forced.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
The acting...it was so, so bad. I'd do one of my typical reviews...but for some reason I felt it wouldn't be untactful, and I can appreciate the objective they were trying to get at. I just wish they had chosen some decent actors that didn't make the whole thing feel so forced.

Haha I'm very curious as to what movies you do like.

Sent from my Death Note powered by iOS

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Haha I'm very curious as to what movies you do like.

Sent from my Death Note powered by iOS

I don't have a particular kind I like, I'm just extremely critical of movies...comes from being married to someone who helps make them, lol!

I can turn my brain off and enjoy a summer popcorn flick just as well as your full blown academy award winner...but when acting is bad, I can't forgive it...there's too many struggling actors out there that really REALLY have great talent to fill these kinds of movies with people who don't seem good enough for reality TV.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a particular kind I like, I'm just extremely critical of movies...comes from being married to someone who helps make them, lol!

I can turn my brain off and enjoy a summer popcorn flick just as well as your full blown academy award winner...but when acting is bad, I can't forgive it...there's too many struggling actors out there that really REALLY have great talent to fill these kinds of movies with people who don't seem good enough for reality TV.

Yeah I have to agree with you, there are plenty of actors out there that are underrated and not given the roles that they deserve.

Oh and it must be pretty awesome having a wife that helps make movies, what does she do exactly?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

"Feel so forced"? What do you mean? As for the actors, it would have been nice to see A-list people, but the ones therein are the ones you often see in Christian movies so it didn't bother me.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
"Feel so forced"? What do you mean? As for the actors, it would have been nice to see A-list people, but the ones therein are the ones you often see in Christian movies so it didn't bother me.

Trust me, I'm not talking A-list actors...half of them are not even that talented themselves, they're just popular. I'm referencing abilities, and that is something you can easily find on the low end of the spectrum as well as the top. Part of the problem is they wanted a known name in the film, so they sacrificed development to get that face on the film so it would draw attention.

The acting felt forced...interactions with people within the movie didn't feel natural, and the passionate interactions between the student and teacher felt scripted (which they obviously were, but a good trait of a good actor is making a script feel like natural conversation). To me, there was no chemistry between the actors.

Then there's the plot. It felt so forced it's not even funny. I mean let's face it, there are so many times where a movie takes a situation that would probably never happen in real life and capitalizes on it to create a story setting, but this movie takes that to a whole other level. Disgruntled professor decides teaching is no longer interesting, so he takes to bullying teenagers? I mean in this day and age of society, you don't stand a chance against a classroom of teenagers with the threat that was the core of this movie's plot. You're telling me that every student in that classroom was just like "Oh, ok...god is dead, we agree..." for fear of being failed? LOL! Give me a break! Reality would probably lend itself to a few flipped cars, fires and a fired professor...but enough about reality, I can forgive that for their attempt to create a story.

And then there's the way they shove the movie in your face...the whole scene at the end with the concert and the text messages. Really? Who's brilliant idea was that?

I guess I just felt that, given the subject matter, a much better movie could have been written and portrayed. They could have casted the movie with lesser known leads with infinitely more talent, but because they wanted to attach a somewhat known name to it, they were willing to sacrifice quality for exposure. To me, I couldn't get past it...

Oh and it must be pretty awesome having a wife that helps make movies, what does she do exactly?

She's a location manager and a scout. Right now she's an ALM on the coming NBC show Constantine (I think the pilot premieres in October).

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Trust me, I'm not talking A-list actors...half of them are not even that talented themselves, they're just popular. I'm referencing abilities, and that is something you can easily find on the low end of the spectrum as well as the top. Part of the problem is they wanted a known name in the film, so they sacrificed development to get that face on the film so it would draw attention.

The acting felt forced...interactions with people within the movie didn't feel natural, and the passionate interactions between the student and teacher felt scripted (which they obviously were, but a good trait of a good actor is making a script feel like natural conversation). To me, there was no chemistry between the actors.

Then there's the plot. It felt so forced it's not even funny. I mean let's face it, there are so many times where a movie takes a situation that would probably never happen in real life and capitalizes on it to create a story setting, but this movie takes that to a whole other level. Disgruntled professor decides teaching is no longer interesting, so he takes to bullying teenagers? I mean in this day and age of society, you don't stand a chance against a classroom of teenagers with the threat that was the core of this movie's plot. You're telling me that every student in that classroom was just like "Oh, ok...god is dead, we agree..." for fear of being failed? LOL! Give me a break! Reality would probably lend itself to a few flipped cars, fires and a fired professor...but enough about reality, I can forgive that for their attempt to create a story.

And then there's the way they shove the movie in your face...the whole scene at the end with the concert and the text messages. Really? Who's brilliant idea was that?

I guess I just felt that, given the subject matter, a much better movie could have been written and portrayed. They could have casted the movie with lesser known leads with infinitely more talent, but because they wanted to attach a somewhat known name to it, they were willing to sacrifice quality for exposure. To me, I couldn't get past it...

She's a location manager and a scout. Right now she's an ALM on the coming NBC show Constantine (I think the pilot premieres in October).

Oh okay. I understand now. Thanks...:)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh okay. I understand now. Thanks...:)

No problem, and just a singular opinion...I know several people who really enjoyed it, like I said, I refrained from giving it my typical treatment because A.) As a christian movie project, I know it has it's own set of hurdles it has to clear to even make it to the public eye, and B.) I just felt weird about being so critical about a project intended to spread the gospel.

In the end, I'm the a$$hole that is critical at my nieces school plays, LOL! And usually I just keep it in my brain, but sometimes, especially when asked, I'll elaborate.

I actually give the producers and marketing team props for making it as popular as it has been...usually these movies would end up directly on a DVD rack in your local christian book store.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(Laughing)....I hear ya, and you're right about any of the movies of this type ending up directly on DVD. I've watched a majority of them via Netflix, but I enjoy them as well as the message therein. Anyway, thanks again, my friend, and if I'm not online tomorrow, enjoy your weekend.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I watched it on DVD. My family enjoyed it, but as others have said we do tend to make unconscious allowances for a drop in...quality...based on the content found therein. I found myself wondering the same thing as SeanHRCC regarding the forced plot issue. I wondered how in the world a university professor with a chip on his shoulder was able to bully his students like that without anyone reporting him to a dean or someone higher. But it was the story so I stifled my complaint. That being said, I enjoyed it and...being a Newsboys fan (the Tait led group mostly) and enjoyed their cameo even if it was a bit cheezy. Glad to see there are others around here who appreciate those kinds of movies too.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The whole "bible thumper" scene creeps me out to begin with, no need to spend time, or money on this nonsense ...

I think calling it non-sense is a bit harsh and unfair...avoiding it, however, is totally understandable, and I too am creeped out to no end by overly religious people, or "bible thumpers" as you eloquently put it. Truth be told, I don't mind the projects getting out there because there is an audience, and I think the really REALLY supportive fans are the creepiest and most intolerable people related to this movie (and others like it).

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods