Paul Walker( fast and furious) Died

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
All I said was that he was a bad actor ... everyone else here has spun this into what it is.

Please note that your opinions of Mr. Walker is not a problem, however, it can be considered in poor taste to speak ill of someone who has just passed away. That's all.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Please note that your opinions of Mr. Walker is not a problem, however, it can be considered in poor taste to speak ill of someone who has just passed away. That's all.

Exactly.

I respect Not Quite Right's opinion of Paul's acting. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I simply think there is zero need to bring up that opinion in this thread, in light of his tragic passing. His acting aside, he was someone's son, someone's father, someone's friend... and all in all, a great guy and humanitarian. His success in Hollywood, deserved or not, enabled him to help a lot of people.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Really Sean, I figured if you were going to jump on this bandwagon you'd bring a little more to the table than just reenforcing my point. Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Van Damme are all bad actors that rose to fame simply on the vehicles they were in, rather any skills as actors they possessed. No I don't look for awards when I'm choosing what I view, and listen too. Awards in themselves can be very political and not a end all means for choosing one's entertainment, but it's very seldom that we see a truly bad actor, or show win one.

I was hoping you would retort with this...call it a bit of bait if you will. You call it a vehicle...the movie they were in, and I deduce that you're reflecting that these "actors" are only viewed as good because the movie fits their skill set, correct? Not that they are actually good at acting, but that the movie presents an environment that they find success in?

So what is an actor? What "vehicle" differentiates a good actor from a bad actor? Many people saw Heath Ledger as a bad actor before his depiction of the Joker in The Dark Knight. So if we go by vehicles, bad actors can become good actors in a matter of one film.

To be truthful, this isn't about "vehicles" at all...this is about the appeal of a certain personality that an actor brings to a project. Tom Cruise is a perfect example...he's Tom Cruise in EVERY movie he makes...and people love him because of it. He's fantastic at what he does...and Paul Walker is no different. Type cast? Sure! But to say the guy isn't good at what he does is ridiculous...and what does he do? He acts.

There's no band wagon here that I've jumped on. This is how I feel...whether it's me solo or a thousand other people right behind me. The truth is, you said he wasn't a good actor in a general sense...and in saying such, you were wrong. Not a good actor to you? I'm ok with that, that's an opinion. Not a good actor compared to "X"? Sure! Again, opinions and such. But saying the guy was not good at what he did, and was simply successful because he was in a popular movie is asinine...why? Because he did it again, and again, and again and again...not just in one franchise, but several. He was the likes of James Dean or Steve McQueen in our modern cinema...these are screen legends, and he falls right in line with those types.

Personally, I can't stand Tyler Perry. I think he's a hack personally, and his films are stereotypical junk in my opinion. All that said...I wouldn't even begin to argue he isn't good at what he does. It doesn't appeal to me at all, but I can accept that it's successful work by a person with skills at what he does.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
All I said was that he was a bad actor ... everyone else here has spun this into what it is.

Woe is me much? You said you thought he was a bad actor, people disagreed. It should have ended there. The only spinning being done is the continuation of this ridiculous argument. That being said, yes this is hypocritical as I am continuing the argument by pointing out that it's beyond pointless. I'll take that hit, but my part is this matter ends here.

Paul Walker had many fans, he died in an accident, he died too young, it sucks, for anyone, RIP.

Blazin' From Mini 2 You

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Just like Justin Bieber fans thinks he's a good singer (he's not). Because someone achieves a certain level of success at what they do does not make them necessarily good at what they do.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Success=Good

You contradicted yourself. If you're successful at something, then you must be good at it.

Try again next time!

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I just had an issue with the thoughtless and frankly gross way it was worded "too bad he died, seemed like a nice guy, good thing he was good looking because he sucked as an actor, yeah he died in a horrifying and possibly the most painful way possible but whoo doggy did I mention how suck tactic he was as an actor? Oh well too bad we lost a good looking but crappy actor..."

Yeah, paraphrasing and all but that was absolutely the way it sounded and it made my skin crawl.

And now that he got called in it, the martyr complex kicks in.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Yay. You can google opinion pieces in a thread about the deceased guy they are mocking.

Your user name suits you. It's appalling.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I just had an issue with the thoughtless and frankly gross way it was worded "too bad he died, seemed like a nice guy, good thing he was good looking because he sucked as an actor, yeah he died in a horrifying and possibly the most painful way possible but whoo doggy did I mention how suck tactic he was as an actor? Oh well too bad we lost a good looking but crappy actor..."

Yeah, paraphrasing and all but that was absolutely the way it sounded and it made my skin crawl.

And now that he got called in it, the martyr complex kicks in.

de?lu?sion noun \di-ˈl?-zhən, dē-\
: a belief that is not true : a false idea

: a false idea or belief that is caused by mental illness

Full Definition of DELUSION

: the act of deluding : the state of being deluded
a : something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated
b : a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary; also : the abnormal state marked by such beliefs
— de?lu?sion?al adjective
— de?lu?sion?ary adjective
See delusion defined for English-language learners ?
See delusion defined for kids ?
Examples of DELUSION

He has delusions about how much money he can make at that job.
He is living under the delusion that he is incapable of making mistakes.
She is under the delusion that we will finish on time.
As the illness progressed, his delusions took over and he had violent outbursts.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Cute. Wouldn't expect anything less from you.

I'm out for the night because if I say what I really think I'll get banned.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but Success=Good

You contradicted yourself. If you're successful at something, then you must be good at it.

Try again next time!

I did not contradict myself, and yes you are wrong...
Example : George W. Bush became president of the United States ... pretty successful right?
George W. Bush was quite possibly the worst president to ever hold that position ...
So with George W. Bush Success = Bad! :(

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by Not Quite Right View Post
No, what you said is that he was not good at what he did.
If your job was acting and you weren't very good at it, then I guess that makes you a bad actor. Right you are Sean very astute.

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I did not contradict myself, and yes you are wrong...
Example : George W. Bush became president of the United States ... pretty successful right?
George W. Bush was quite possibly the worst president to ever hold that position ...
So with George W. Bush Success = Bad! :(

You'd call George W. Bush a successful president?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

You just completely supported my reply to you...COMPLETELY. Look at all those links you went and found...lots of personal opinions from lots of people! And even if you posted 10,000 links similar to those, nothing changes the fact that it still reflects a personal opinion, and does not constitute a factual statement whatsoever. And yet, you continue to reflect it as such? Why is that?

You said he wasn't good at what he did...which was act. I don't expect you to think he's a great actor, I don't even think he was...but he was excellent at what he did in the same way others LIKE him were excellent at it throughout history. Justin Bieber (since you mentioned him first) is not a good singer in my opinion...but his showmanship and appeal to adolescent females is unquestionable...does it make him a great singer? Not at all, but he's excellent at what he does.

I think you get my point. Perhaps in the future if you want to dump on someone in their memorial thread, you could use the tiniest amount of tact and at the very least, express your thoughts as your own opinion instead of the factual implication you came across with initially. Or don't...and continue the arguments and what not...really doesn't matter when you're the one in the hole.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by Not Quite Right View Post

If your job was acting and you weren't very good at it, then I guess that makes you a bad actor. Right you are Sean very astute.

If your job is acting and you aren't very good at it...you don't get cast in films, CONSISTENTLY, where the enormity of success that is found is almost unequaled by other "B-list" actors (I'd even argue C-list). He was successful because he represented a personality and character that people enjoyed watching in the movies he was in...I made my comparisons earlier, so you can refer back to some of the silver screen legends that followed a similar path to success.

If you simply wanted to point out that YOU felt he was a bad actor...why didn't you just say so in your first post? It'd be like me saying that McDonalds isn't good at what they do because I don't personally care for their food. Perhaps you didn't mean to word it the way you did initially...that's fine, but you still did it, and people retorted to such. Don't blame us because you made a mistake.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

This.

You bite your tongue. I don't particularly care for some of the famous people who have died over the course of the past two years, but regardless of who it was, that person was still a human being who had people that loved and cared for him or her. That's what matters.

Two human lives were lost in what is one of the most inhumane ways possible. Children have to go on for the rest of their lives without a parent. Parents have to bury their sons. A wife and girlfriend have to bury their husband and boyfriend.

Then they all have to pick up the pieces and move on and it sucks. I've been there. In many ways, I'm still there. You never get over grief of losing a parent no matter how they died.

I think you get my point. Perhaps in the future if you want to dump on someone in their memorial thread, you could use the tiniest amount of tact and at the very least, express your thoughts as your own opinion instead of the factual implication you came across with initially. Or don't...and continue the arguments and what not...really doesn't matter when you're the one in the hole.

Or he could have just shut up. It's bad tact to speak ill of the dead.

No one said he had to like Paul or Roger but jesh, use some common sense and remember that these two were men with families.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You know what's really a shame? The world lost a person who actually put some effort into helping others...BOTH of the gentlemen who passed that day were heavily into the non-profit Reach Out Worldwide. I mean putting aside an actor who entertained us, or a race car driver who entertained fans...both of these men were also charitable heavy weights, and the world truly lost some humanity with the deaths of both of them.

Take a look at the charity...It's actually pretty awesome, especially given the kinds of supporters it draws in. You've got people who already risk their lives as a CAREER (first responders of all types) who contribute time and money to this cause.