Snow white and the huntsman

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I watched this finally last night. I have a very different taste in movies and I found the movie good. However I don't understand if the director was a great one or whatever but the movie could have been so much more. If you haven't watched the movie yet don't read further because I am going to be talking about the movie. So I love the fact that the movie tells the story of snow white in a totally different way than we are used to it being told. I like that even though the story is told in a different way there are still all the main elements of the story but in different ways so you don't know when to expect the things to happen. However there are so many times when something starts to happen and the music is playing to a crescendo so it builds and then the scene cuts away to a new scene. So all the buildup was for nothing :confused: Like one scene where the wicked witch/queen (Charlize Theron) is completely submerged in a white milky bath. The music builds as she is getting out and she is completely covered in glossy white. Then it just cuts away and you're left like wtf? it would have been a chance to do something cool and use that buildup have the hardened glossy white break away and pictures of her wrinkled self reflect inside while a young and beautiful witch/queen emerges. So the audience would have been treated to her powers and the scene would actually build to something. Then the writers what the hell the majority of the movie is great but there are parts where it just doesn't make sense. Snow White's great speech near the end makes no sense I could think of so many more great things to put in the speech and yet she is talking about iron being wrought inside:confused: Snow White has a life long royal/prince come back for her and the huntsman who is obviously falling for her. Yet they don't exploit the relationship in any way it's just left there awkwardly. It had potential as the two fight for her love and she tells the royal/prince that she doesn't need a man but he catches her kissing the huntsman. The huntsman brings her out of her poisoned induced sleep but nothing comes of it. Again at the end when the witch/queen is dying Snow White cries for her regardless of all the things the witch/queen did to her. Again that was an oppurtunity where the queen could ask "Why are you crying for me?" in a frail voice. Then Snow White could say something like "Your destiny was chosen for you but your actions were your choices. You had great powers and what you used them to do now leaves you dying and alone. That is why I am crying for you". Then as the queen dies have her eyes go black and then the black fades and innocent child's eyes appear before her life fades away. All in all I enjoyed the film but there was just so much more potential. When I watch a movie like Inception I immediately wanted to watch it again at the end. I enjoyed watching this movie but it didn't make me want to see it again.

I give it :yes::yes::yes: (out of five)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like you, I actually liked the movie as well. Yes, it could have been done a tad differently and could have been better, but overall, I found it to be a good movie.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It was a decent enough movie, but I felt Kristen Stewart was a terrible casting move...they got her because she was popular due to Twilight, when they could have filled that role with another person and made the character truly memorable (because the story was written very well).

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
It was a decent enough movie, but I felt Kristen Stewart was a terrible casting move...they got her because she was popular due to Twilight, when they could have filled that role with another person and made the character truly memorable (because the story was written very well).

Kristen Stewart is a terrible cast in anything.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Yep. You summed it up perfectly, my friend...:)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm kind of with you guys but then at some points I think she fit the role. It's weird in some parts she didn't fit the role at all but other parts I thought she fit it pretty good. Perhaps it's because twilight is so fresh I kept thinking of her character but in this movie. The scenes where she cries looked a little forced and it happened a little too often for me it's like when you over use something it kind of detracts. There were some things that were just amazing though. The part where the queen comes back from giving her the poisonous apple. The black tar looking substance as she crawls across the floor, When the white moose looking creature was shot with an arrow and then turns into butterflies. I loved those parts!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of with you guys but then at some points I think she fit the role. It's weird in some parts she didn't fit the role at all but other parts I thought she fit it pretty good. Perhaps it's because twilight is so fresh I kept thinking of her character but in this movie. The scenes where she cries looked a little forced and it happened a little too often for me it's like when you over use something it kind of detracts. There were some things that were just amazing though. The part where the queen comes back from giving her the poisonous apple. The black tar looking substance as she crawls across the floor, When the white moose looking creature was shot with an arrow and then turns into butterflies. I loved those parts!

My wife kind of explained it perfectly to me because initially, i couldn't figure out why I didn't hate her, but didn't like her in the story either. Essentially Stewart is so neutral (See: bland) that she actually DOES fit in the story when the character is moot (which every story has to do in order to develop supporting characters), so she actually had a really good presence in the story when she didn't matter, but when she DID matter, she's still Kristin Stewart, who has the emotional range of a kiddie pool.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit