So I'm catching up on movie reviews since me and my wife got back from vacation...we saw a few movies, this one included, which i wasn't overly excited for, but ended up being decently surprised at the quality.

I won't go too far into the premise because it would give stuff away, but essentially what you have is your typical ghost story but with a bit of a twist, it combined the found footage series of film that has been so popular lately, the bits of all of these ghost hunter TV shows that have been coming out and a good old fashioned possession story (the likes of the Exorcist, etc).

Film is extremely atmospheric...a good start for a horror movie, too many times they try to win you over with gore (IE: Evil Dead) but this one did it with sounds, lighting effects and some good camera work. It had TONS of jump scares, and i love those...got me so many times, even when i knew the stuff was coming...and then about half way through the movie, they show the demon, and it starts losing it's footing. From that point through the end, it was more of a lack luster movie than good (but it still had some decent parts throughout, but became more scatter shot).

In the end, it was satisfying. And while it starts quite strong, it quickly devolves into your typical demon possession, haunted house/family movie. I think this is one where you could wait until you could rent it, and you could still enjoy it a lot (though the theater experience certainly adds to the scary portion of the movie).

Decent, not great, not terrible.

08-08-2013 04:56 PM
    I was pleasantly surprised. It had a feel of old school type of horror to it which I enjoyed.
    The effects they used to "scare" were used pretty damn good, too. I agree with that. I
    thought the ending was kinda weak. But overall it wasn't that bad.

I don't ever expect any modern-day horror movie to be scary anymore.
    08-08-2013 06:07 PM
    Better or worse than mama? I didn't like that movie at all, and it got such great reviews

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    10-27-2013 10:42 AM
    Better or worse than mama? I didn't like that movie at all, and it got such great reviews

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    I thought Mama was kind of stupid. I love Del Toro's films, but that one was lacking. This was better (but the lead female was terrible).
    11-03-2013 10:37 PM
    I thought Mama was kind of stupid. I love Del Toro's films, but that one was lacking. This was better (but the lead female was terrible).
    Yeah I ended up watching it a few days ago. Not a bad flick at all
    11-03-2013 10:50 PM