Pacific Rim...the aftermath...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been so excited about this movie since the concept art hit the internet a couple of years ago...and I was so grateful that Guillermo Del Toro was at the helm, because he has an incredible vision as a director, and can really create stunning visuals.

I was not disappointed with this movie...the story and the visuals were absolutely amazing. I was very disappointed with the casting in some of the roles though, because some of it just did not fit well within the world they were trying to show us. The guy from Always Sunny in Philadelphia for instance...he was terrible in it, just awful. I understand the comic relief, it needed a bit of break up within the dark action that made up 80% of the movie, but the guy just did not fit in at all, it was almost like he was superimposed into the movie after it was made, it was THAT bad.

Then there's Ron Perlman...the kind of junk yard caretaker for alien body parts. I don't even really understand the need for that character at all, and it certainly didn't do anything for the story, aside from giving another "sore thumb" in the middle of awesome action.

Finally...there was Mako, the main female lead. I didn't mind her presence, I felt she portrayed the scared but vigilant role well. My issue here was the fact that he had her speak english. Let's face it, looking at Del Toro's past films, english speaking characters were not a necessity or even a focus, and in this case, she would have been 110% better if they let her speak her native tongue, and just sub-titled it...it was obvious that the lead spoke fluent Japanese to her when he met her, so why not continue this? It would have made it more natural.

This is a cool movie, but not a breathtaking experience. I enjoyed it for what it was, but man...it could have been perfect.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Finally got to see this yesterday with my son. We both enjoyed it very much! It's a great movie if you're a fan of the Godzilla genre......and I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing that one!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro