Absolutely F'n brilliant. My only complaint is that there was about 20min. worth of destructive fighting that could have been condensed down a bit, but that is really just being nit picky, it was fantastic.

Was it as good as Nolan's Batman trilogy? In my opinion it was...but in a different way, and i love how they told the story throughout the main conflict of the film, how we saw his history while watching him in modern times. At no time did it ever feel confusing or cluttered. It just felt right.

And the battles were EPIC. I don't think I've ever seen so many buildings absolutely destroyed, lol. But i guess when you fight superman, it's bound to happen.

A must see film this summer, and man do i ever hope there are more! Also, IMAX 3D approved.
    wendybeee likes this.
    06-15-2013 10:00 PM
    Going to see it tomorrow. Is it one of those "stay until the end of credits" movies?
    06-15-2013 10:07 PM
    Nope, nothing during or after the credits. We stayed through them having known that already just to make sure, and aside from some amazing Hans Zimmer music, nada.
    wendybeee likes this.
    06-15-2013 10:26 PM
    watched it Friday night. not bad for a storyline we've seen over and over again
    06-16-2013 08:52 AM
    I thought it was incredibly well done. Great action and fantastic effects. Look forward to the next one.
    06-16-2013 12:14 PM
    The more I think about Man of Steel, the less I like it.

Nolan/Goyer once again show ineptitude with their core character that ultimately ruin not only the movie, but the franchise.

I'll try to review it in the future, but here's the main problems:

1. Superman doesn't let Pa Kent die. He just doesn't. No reason. In Donner's movie, Pa Kent died in spite of Superman, to show him his limits. In Man of Steel, he died because a writer thought he should.

2. Superman doesn't kill. Back when John Byrne did Man of Steel he followed it up with a hugely controversial plot line that did have Superman killing an alternate reality version of Zod with Kryptonite. Here's the problem with that:

Superman is a god. He's now a god that kills. Everyone in the movie world saw that. What's the implication? What are the ramifications?

The only thing that made Lex Luthor a villain, pre-Byrne and post, was Superman's refusal to cross that line and kill him.

Superman killed Zod. What on earth threat does Lex Luthor, or anyone else now, ever hold?

Man of Steel had its moments, but like Star Trek Into Darkness, it sacrificed more to directorial whim and short term shock than it gained in true story-telling or franchise building power.

It as a Superman I think a lot of people will enjoy. I might even like watching it again pretending its some random sci-fi flick. But it wasn't Superman.
    Guacho, cardfan and Alex_Hong like this.
    06-16-2013 01:43 PM
    You are right that do-not-kill line is one Superman, even more so than Batman, can never cross, because he is a god. But you can still explore interesting stories with him - the best ones pre- and post-Byrne were the not the ones where Superman was up against a big baddie, but when he found himself constrained, morally or situationally in checkmate. Unfortunately, I'm not sure this team will poke around those sorts of subtleties.
    06-16-2013 02:17 PM
    *SPOILERS*

It most certainly WAS Superman...I'm sorry, but i can't agree with your assessment in that nature at all. Superman is not a god, he's an alien...he's an alien who chose saving earth at the cost of his own vs. the death of innocent humans as the cost of saving krypton. He's a hybrid...in many ways a mirror of the way the newer Star Trek showed the development of Spock as a hybrid...the fallibility of a human with the powers of an alien race far exceeding that of humans. A "Super Human", or, by definition, a SuperMAN.

The death of his human father was very clearly defined in this film as a choice to stray away from the Krypton birthing farms, the preset notions that differentiated he and Zod...Kal was given the choice, the human characteristic that they strived to show so intensely in Superman, but also the feeling of failure that humans must understand. He failed his "father", but not because he couldn't easily save him from a tornado and spare his dad's life, but possibly allowing all the others to die...the age old struggle of "The life of one for the lives of many", that was the theme i saw in this film...and it started with his dad, sacrificing himself (and his mom) because of the selfish ideals of their elders...and the potential to better other races by sacrificing one world.

I can understand the trouble people have with seeing him kill in the first film, but this story and the killing of Zod was not new, and in fact, he's killed many people, including his own kind (a story about criminals from krypton that killed all the beings on an alternate earth), and most famously Doomsday. They cut to the chase, they used this struggle that people read about for so long in comic books where he balances life vs. the safety of those he protects and they gave you the short and curly version. Polarizing? Sure...but not inaccurate at all.

These re-imagined stories have the context preface of being "darker", the Dark Knight films showed this as well, giving you a super hero who was not the perfect moral or ethical creature...they were never meant to be carbon copies of what you knew, they were supposed to be new, different and to be honest, more familiar in our modern world today. People have grown tired of seeing the ethical super hero always do the right thing, they want to see a struggle, they want to see the human character when it comes to these retellings.

We all have opinions, but saying this isn't Superman is not giving the efforts their fair respect.
    Last edited by SeanHRCC; 06-16-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    06-16-2013 03:26 PM
    Lex Luthor will bring the human "villain" to the table...this alone will make it different, and the struggle will easily be defined by this. To protect humanity.
    06-16-2013 03:40 PM
    I watched it, two days later and I'm still processing and I haven't reached a conclusion, totally different from we've seen before, they overdid the battles and the fights in my opinion...the destruction is unbelievable. I just dont know..
    06-16-2013 04:42 PM
    The more I think about Man of Steel, the less I like it.

Nolan/Goyer once again show ineptitude with their core character that ultimately ruin not only the movie, but the franchise.

I'll try to review it in the future, but here's the main problems:

1. Superman doesn't let Pa Kent die. He just doesn't. No reason. In Donner's movie, Pa Kent died in spite of Superman, to show him his limits. In Man of Steel, he died because a writer thought he should.

2. Superman doesn't kill. Back when John Byrne did Man of Steel he followed it up with a hugely controversial plot line that did have Superman killing an alternate reality version of Zod with Kryptonite. Here's the problem with that:

Superman is a god. He's now a god that kills. Everyone in the movie world saw that. What's the implication? What are the ramifications?

The only thing that made Lex Luthor a villain, pre-Byrne and post, was Superman's refusal to cross that line and kill him.

Superman killed Zod. What on earth threat does Lex Luthor, or anyone else now, ever hold?

Man of Steel had its moments, but like Star Trek Into Darkness, it sacrificed more to directorial whim and short term shock than it gained in true story-telling or franchise building power.

It as a Superman I think a lot of people will enjoy. I might even like watching it again pretending its some random sci-fi flick. But it wasn't Superman.
    http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/06/15/ma...man-zod-death/

Man of Steel review...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371415806.571773.jpg
    06-16-2013 04:50 PM
    **SPOILERS**

^^^ That article is such a gross generalization..."Maybe it's cool to make Superman a killer.", WTF? Throughout the entire film you are shown this ultimately powerful being bending over backwards to make sure nobody dies, he saves lives over and over again, even the lives of those who are not sided with him in the struggle...and then at the very end of the film, the very last 1%, the climax of a near 20min., building leveling, environment destroying battle between Superman and Zod, he has a family about to be incinerated by Zod, and he stops him.

A killer? Might as well call him a murderer...lol. They write it (and many others have as well) as if Superman just threw care to the wind and started taking lives in a mass killing frenzy. I mean really? Is that the focus? It PROVES the fact that people will latch onto details amongst the whole and then, in turn, forget the whole around the detail.
    06-16-2013 05:08 PM
    Have not watched it yet. Planning to watch it this weekend. Actually I'm not insane for this kind of movie, but my brother likes it very much.
    06-17-2013 09:54 PM
    Just watched IMAX. But I may stop seeing these in 3d. I agree with Rene. But it has to have consequences In the sequels. I'm ok with him killing because he did kill in the comics as a last resort In The pocket universe arc.

And let's face it, when you have these kind of villains and power, things will blow up. I'm ok with that as well.

My problems? Weak characterization/plot.

Zod just isn't memorable here and forget using him again. The Kent's come off as scared and a bit backwards. Jor-El is a bit too something other than a scientist. A spaceship vs a fortress but makes some sense though.

Lois tracks him down much too quickly. And the notion that the whole world knows that she knows puts a target on her.

Lost in all this was just not showing any real reactions among anyone. Headlines. Reports. Etc. And supermans ignorance of zod when he had a library to consult and 24 hrs.

Transitions seem bizarre. From wanderer to self assured superman in uniform. To mastering flying in a few scenes. If you're going to explore kryptonian roots, then give justice to the origin. Full focus on becoming superman. Save Zod for the sequel.
    06-20-2013 09:25 AM
    Character development was certainly rushed...it felt a little strange having him venture into this ship and having the ability to learn about his past, but just a few minutes later in the movie we have this fisherman that comes out in full costume ready to take on the world. I felt like a pretty serious detail left out was a grand entrance of the suit and cape itself, i mean it's almost as much a character to the series as he is himself. The insignia had no focus, it just ended up on him as his clothes (as far as we saw in the film).

They spent 30-45min. of redundant building destruction at the end when they could have taken 20min. of that giving us some origin details back in the beginning. It would have felt more substantiated.

They essentially took the Batman Begins approach, but Superman is so much more than a millionaire playboy with the money to build gadgets and a revenge driven lust for justice...we're talking an alien for god's sake, lol.
    cardfan likes this.
    06-20-2013 10:41 AM
    Man of Steel: Bad News From Outer Space | Stand By For Mind Control I think this nails a lot of it and is pretty funny. The thing is, he could've kept going on.

The first 20 mins? My 7 yr old fell asleep. This is a girl who's watched all the animated Justice Leagues (bless her) and really is into superheros. I struggled myself to understand what the heck was going on with this "codex", babies, and flying lizard bug. The only thing Jor-el was missing was his Indiana Jones hat. On the other hand, my daughter made it all the way through Avengers and loved it.

Maybe they should just do Jor-el movies? Just putting it out there. But I guess they'd have to be prequels or just use the S-drive thingy.

Or how about the Adventures of Pa Kent? "Dad, there's people in that burning house!" "No, son, you stay here, let me save them"
    06-21-2013 06:03 AM
    Or how about the Adventures of Pa Kent? "Dad, there's people in that burning house!" "No, son, you stay here, let me save them"
    Brilliant! lol...i can see the next line "You see Clark, fire burns, and now i have to have skin grafts...you wouldn't have this problem, but do you really want people to know you're an alien super being that can fly and shoot lasers out of your eyes and none of them can defeat you at anything? No son, i didn't think you would. Now help me lather some churned butter on my massively burned body!"
    06-21-2013 08:43 AM
    Penny Arcade has more detailed and therefore spoiler-rich take offering a similar opinion on the Man of Steel not being the Superman we know.

The PA Report - The Man of Steel turns Superman into an unthinking, self-absorbed monster (full spoilers)
    06-28-2013 01:55 PM
    Speaking of Superman, here's the latest rumor via the Associated Press.

Superman is coming back _ this time with Batman
    SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Superman is coming back, and he'll have a caped co-star....

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

---
    Just Me, D
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 08-10-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    Ipheuria likes this.
    07-20-2013 07:58 PM
    Here's how I look at it people who complain about things not being real or making sense when watching a movie based on a comic should never be listened to. Comics are never about reality it's about using your imagination and about a world where anything can happen. So when I hear people say all those buildings were damaged so what is the point people must have been hurt. This is not reality TV if you want that then watch a movie like The Notebook, Dear John that are real life movies. The thing about Superman killing Zod I don't think there is a wrong or right I think people will think about it what they will. As far as I'm concenered I see the point. It doesn't matter whether Superman is like a god. The point is that Zod had the same powers and strength he did so it's not like Superman was killing some mugger in an alley. He also only did it when he had no other option and like Sean said it was for the good of the many aka the world. Police kill criminals to protect the innocent. So if Superman is protecting then yes doing what others can't is a part of that and comes with the job. Like I said I guess it all depends on the person because for me Superman killing Lex Luthor would be fine to me. Why? because he is bad, how many people has he killed? It obviously wouldn't happen because Lex Luthor is his nemesis and his rival.
    08-10-2013 06:57 PM
    I loved the first half of the movie. The flashbacks to how he got his morals. The second half I didn't like. The relationship with Lois is jacked up. The best part is when Clark gets to tell Lois the secret. But now Lois knows everything. No suspense and building the friendship. Then the ship instead of a fortress of solitude. The ship was ok. But in sorry, his suit being in the ship is wrong. The ship was millions of years old and his suit is supposed to be in it? That's now how he gets his suit. The killing of Zod is ok with me. But that last battle was messed up. Superman would have never put people in harms way.
    08-10-2013 09:34 PM