Ok, so I saw Oz this weekend.

I give it a B+. My wife and I both liked it, and more than we liked the Burton/Depp Alice in Wonderland. (Which I actually think is ok in rewatching it).

I won't go into any spoilers yet, but willing if there are those out there who would like to.

My only issue is that before you see a single person on screen, the opening credits provide a spoiler. It was subtle, but thought it was odd they chose to do that. (for those who have seen it, you likely know what I am talking about).

What did everyone think?
    03-11-2013 09:39 AM
    Wasn't a fan...we went and saw it last Friday. In my opinion it was poorly cast...James Franco wasn't terrible, but he has the depth of a kiddie pool...and Mila Kunis? Really? Why not just cast Sarah Silverman and Jenny McCarthy?

I also caught on to the spoiler you're referring to...but honestly, it didn't really subtract anything or add anything to the film in my opinion. That detail tying in to the original story was really the only thing that i actually liked above the movie, getting that further understanding of the characters and such.

DVD rental at best...and probably only as a free RedBox night or something.
    03-11-2013 11:13 PM
    Oz the great is cool! :o
    03-12-2013 01:00 AM
    Wasn't a fan...we went and saw it last Friday. In my opinion it was poorly cast...James Franco wasn't terrible, but he has the depth of a kiddie pool...and Mila Kunis? Really? Why not just cast Sarah Silverman and Jenny McCarthy?

I also caught on to the spoiler you're referring to...but honestly, it didn't really subtract anything or add anything to the film in my opinion. That detail tying in to the original story was really the only thing that i actually liked above the movie, getting that further understanding of the characters and such.

DVD rental at best...and probably only as a free RedBox night or something.
    My girls loved it, so that made it worth seeing in a theater. Plus between having three free tickets, concession coupons, it cost is $13 for the four if us with a large popcorn and two large drinks. Even that $13 was covered by a gift card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-12-2013 06:12 AM
    My gf said it sucked. Hah.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    03-12-2013 07:03 PM
    My gf said it sucked. Hah.

So did mine, except she wants the shoes Michelle Williams' character wore. It thought it was rather subpar myself.
    Exxod likes this.
    03-13-2013 11:12 AM
    So did mine, except she wants the shoes Michelle Williams' character wore. It thought it was rather subpar myself.
    Hahah! It's true, then! It's truly terrible!

She went with one of her girl friends; I wasn't gonna be caught dead watching it. No way. Besides, we'd just seen 21 and Over a day or two previous, so yeah. Haha.

03-13-2013 12:36 PM
    The acting was horrid at best. The only decent acting was the voice-overs done for Finley the monkey and China Doll. This would have been infinitely better if Burton/Depp had done it. The story was really good and did the original justice. The horrid acting killed the whole movie.
    03-28-2013 07:20 PM
    My girlfriend liked it, but she also liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I was not a big fan of Oz personally. I don't like that producers are trying to touch the classics, or relate to the classics in anyway.
    03-28-2013 08:53 PM
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and the Gene Wilder version, were both really good for different reasons.
    03-28-2013 10:16 PM