The Walking Dead

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Is it bad that I was kind of rooting for the zombies to just bite Carl already? How is he still alive?!? In my opinion, he's one of the most annoying characters of this show.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Though I want to see the story of future Carl play out on the TV show, I was really doing the same thing last night, and also hoping (blindly) that Rick was turned as well, lol.

Hopefully we won't have to sit through anymore of Carl's "coming of age" BS...because honestly, if they follow the comic a little more closely, this soap opera crap was nonexistent.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about you guys but I was kind of pissed off with 'After' I mean I waited two months after the death of Herschel to see Carl yell at Rick, eat pudding and almost get killed by four walkers. I wished he has gotten eaten. If this show keeps disappointing me I'm done. This show just barely reaches a zenith of amazing then it gets ruined by a long streak of crap episodes.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
We got passed last Sunday it was a disappointment but I think this week will cement us back in

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
We got passed last Sunday it was a disappointment but I think this week will cement us back in

I hope so cause I'm about to stop watching. I have much much better shows to spend my time on like True Detective, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and even Brooklyn Nine-Nine LOL.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I loved it. This show is more than the gore and this ep showed the real human conflicts that can occur.

I know that and there are shows that handle character development extremely well but Walking Dead really doesn't. Carl and Rick have shown the same annoying dynamic so I would say with 'After' there was distinct lack of characterization with the exception of Michonne.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I loved it. This show is more than the gore and this ep showed the real human conflicts that can occur.

I understand the dynamic but it wasn't directed right

Rick handled the prison battle the best he could his last reaction was yelling for Cal they unite the car seat scene is still up in the air then there walk off and Rick says don't look back

Fast forward there walking down a dirt road and Cal won't even wait up for his dad and the rest of the episode he's defiant hateful that pissed people off

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I understand the dynamic but it wasn't directed right

Rick handled the prison battle the best he could his last reaction was yelling for Cal they unite the car seat scene is still up in the air then there walk off and Rick says don't look back

Fast forward there walking down a dirt road and Cal won't even wait up for his dad and the rest of the episode he's defiant hateful that pissed people off

Hit it on the head people that argue this is character development obviously haven't seen the last two seasons.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know that and there are shows that handle character development extremely well but Walking Dead really doesn't. Carl and Rick have shown the same annoying dynamic so I would say with 'After' there was distinct lack of characterization with the exception of Michonne.

I know it's annoying to keep referencing the comic book to try and justify things, but this part is a really glaring issue the TV show has...in the comic book, you get all of this strife between Rick and Carl rather quickly, and then Carl develops a relationship with Sophia (who met a really different fate in the TV show, and it kind of screwed up the whole story). Carl's struggle with Rick is such a focus of the show, and it's annoying because we see it as trivial in the scheme of things (zombie apocalypse and all)...in the comic, Carl's struggle with his dad is more of a sprinkled in detail amongst their situations.

The TV show has to sit on issues for a lot longer because they have an audience, in many ways, that needs stuff spelled out for them. Where the comic book is a no non-sense, get right into it style story, the TV show tends to turn into a soap opera, and it certainly gets annoying.

One good thing though is as the story is going right now, even if they skew WAY off of the way it is in the books, we're in for a much more sinister and dark chain of events...the group is about to start moving on, and with that, new obstacles and characters will shine vs. the relationships we've been seeing.

We have to give them some credit, they're trying to extend the TV show out as far as they can...and I don't blame them, it's a cash cow. I think we're really in for a wild ride coming up...especially if they introduce a certain man that will make the governor look like a peace maker.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Hit it on the head people that argue this is character development obviously haven't seen the last two seasons.

Well, it made sense to this person who HAS seen every episode from the beginning. Carl was angry. Made sense to me. I find it a bit insulting to have it said that I've obviously not watched something from the beginning just because a teenager undergoing a relatively understandable personality reaction (after the baby sister disappears and home is no longer home ) made sense to me.

It did. I was frustrated with Carl and at times cheered on the zombies but Rick and his stupid farming and non reaction frustrated me just as much. Had Rick been more proactive some people may still be alive.

So no, this person who has watched it from the start and read the comics got it completely. It made perfect sense to me.

Please don't presume that because not everyone shared your opinion that it somehow makes you a better viewer or more of a fan, and that's exactly how dismissive your comment was.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Someone made a comment about this show that I never really thought about before he said it...essentially we relate to these characters because this show addresses such realistic emotions that are less dramatic than normal TV shows, so we get frustrated because we don't want Carl and Rick to have the same relationship that we've seen with friends or family or even ourselves...we want the TV show effect, and not the real world effect.

I mean honestly, Carl and Rick on the TV show are pretty damn close to real life people...they are annoying, they are loving, they are leaders sometimes and followers sometimes but, most of all, the characters are all trying to lead normal lives in an abnormal situation. I think we get irritated because we want a break from reality, and the show brings reality back to us in many ways (even given the very non-realistic core story).

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, it made sense to this person who HAS seen every episode from the beginning. Carl was angry. Made sense to me. I find it a bit insulting to have it said that I've obviously not watched something from the beginning just because a teenager undergoing a relatively understandable personality reaction (after the baby sister disappears and home is no longer home ) made sense to me.

It did. I was frustrated with Carl and at times cheered on the zombies but Rick and his stupid farming and non reaction frustrated me just as much. Had Rick been more proactive some people may still be alive.

So no, this person who has watched it from the start and read the comics got it completely. It made perfect sense to me.

Please don't presume that because not everyone shared your opinion that it somehow makes you a better viewer or more of a fan, and that's exactly how dismissive your comment was.

I apologize. I just wish the show would stop wasting time on these types of stories if they're not going to make them interesting. For me out of the last four episodes we've gotten including this past weeks 'After' the mid-season finale was the best of the bunch. IMHO I think the Governor episodes this were the worst of the season and even the series.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Which is so sad because the Governor was such an awesome character (and didn't come out that way in the TV show)...

I haven't read the comics but from what I heard he was even more psycho in the comics and one of my co-workers told me how Michonne kills him and I was like whoa that's HBO stuff but of course on the show who kills him? That stupid bimbo (who we barely knew as viewers) he "fell" in love with. That made his death way less enjoyable then it should have been. I hate when writers of TV adaptations have awesome source material then they go all screwball off track with it. That's why I love Game Of Thrones DB Weiss and Dan Benioff are really doing an awesome job adapting Ice and Fire for TV and adding some great changes also some things I wish they could have done namely the chain in Blackwater Bay.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
He was an absolute monster in the comic...a tyrant, a sadistic maniac, and most of all, he was kind of a thug...the governor portrayed in the TV show was this family man who was pushed to extremes by circumstance, and I didn't get that at all from the original version of the character. Also, yes, his death in the TV show was very disappointing, but if you knew what he actually did to Michonne (that wasn't shown in the TV show), you'd have hated that situation even more.

Also, I was kind of shocked at the actor they chose for the governor. It was so completely opposite of what I always likened the original governor to.

There are redeeming qualities to the TV show though, Daryl Dixon being one of the biggest.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't read the comics but from what I heard he was even more psycho in the comics and one of my co-workers told me how Michonne kills him and I was like whoa that's HBO stuff but of course on the show who kills him? That stupid bimbo (who we barely knew as viewers) he "fell" in love with. That made his death way less enjoyable then it should have been. I hate when writers of TV adaptations have awesome source material then they go all screwball off track with it. That's why I love Game Of Thrones DB Weiss and Dan Benioff are really doing an awesome job adapting Ice and Fire for TV and adding some great changes also some things I wish they could have done namely the chain in Blackwater Bay.

I for one believe Michonne wanted him to turn into a Walker but his girlfriend decided different

Would have been cool if she used him as one of her servant Walkers

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I for one believe Michonne wanted him to turn into a Walker but his girlfriend decided different

Would have been cool if she used him as one of her servant Walkers

Yeah that would have been awesome.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
As you might already know my YouTube videos got flagged for copyright infringement so if you haven't seen them there unavailable

Moderators please remove vid links from this thread and I apologize to the members for my infraction

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro