I'm going to see Marvel's The Avengers tomorrow night and I expect Hulk to SMASH most heartily.

If you've seen it, here's our official review and discussion thread, so have at it.

What did you think?
    05-03-2012 03:07 PM
    Absolutely mind-blowingly amazing. So, so, right.

I'll be seeing it again as soon as possible.

Also, stay untilt the lights come on. don't assume I mean anything else. Stay until the lights come on,
    05-04-2012 04:11 AM
    I saw this movie today and it definitely exceeded my expectations. It is a top-notch, well-scripted, well-acted, humorous and action-filled movie fit for the entire family. It is indeed that good and just like west3man stated, do not leave the theatre until you've seen the footage AFTER the scrolling of the film's credits.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    05-04-2012 07:57 PM
    I'm watching it tomorrow. I didn't read any of the posts because it said "SPOILERS", but I'll share my opinion on on it tomorrow after I watch it! Hopefully its good.
    05-04-2012 10:40 PM
    It was terrific. Whedon did an incredible job balancing the action and humor, tearing the characters apart and building them back up. He nailed the Avengers start to finish.

There were so many awesome moments I've almost lost count. Absolutely the best Hulk ever put to screen. The fights were brilliantly done. Dialog was sharp. And he brought the pain.

My one question is -- after setting up the combo powers in the forest fight scene, why didn't he use them in the big end battle? Thor charging Iron Man to 400% and Thor hitting Cap's vibranium shield to create a concussion blast would have been a good payoff to the forest fight, and good set pieces for the end battle. Really odd not to use them.

But hey, why nitpick brilliance?

I'll be seeing it a good dozen times.
    05-04-2012 10:41 PM
    Saw it at midnight today. Fantastic! Hilarity mixed with great action scenes. This movie seriously lived up to the hype. And they (well, spoilers are allowed here) are clearly setting up for a second one based on that after credits scene. Can't wait for the precursors to that being Thor 2, Captain America 2, Iron Man 3, and other movies.
    05-05-2012 12:32 AM
    I'll be watching this later today; looking forward to it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    05-05-2012 02:45 AM
    Well, I have to watch it again. Too many brats at the cinema today...

But, I will say this, I was under the impression that only Hulk could stop Thor's hammer, no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    05-05-2012 04:58 PM
    It was terrific. Whedon did an incredible job balancing the action and humor, tearing the characters apart and building them back up. He nailed the Avengers start to finish.

There were so many awesome moments I've almost lost count. Absolutely the best Hulk ever put to screen. The fights were brilliantly done. Dialog was sharp. And he brought the pain.

My one question is -- after setting up the combo powers in the forest fight scene, why didn't he use them in the big end battle? Thor charging Iron Man to 400% and Thor hitting Cap's vibranium shield to create a concussion blast would have been a good payoff to the forest fight, and good set pieces for the end battle. Really odd not to use them.

But hey, why nitpick brilliance?

I'll be seeing it a good dozen times.
    Agreed, it was very well done. Wonder if that was Apocalypse at the end? As far as combos in the last big fight toward the end, Iron Man combo'd off of Cap's shield at one point. Hulk just SMASHED. When Hulk punched Thor I cracked up. Was too funny.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.
    05-05-2012 05:50 PM
    Its Thanos who appears at the end.
    05-05-2012 09:25 PM
    Its Thanos who appears at the end.
    That appears to be the general thought. Since that leader said to go againts the humans would be to court death and he turned and smiled.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
    05-05-2012 09:52 PM
    I saw it today and I thought it was brilliant. Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time!<3

I actually felt myself caring for the characters and felt that inner excitement when they were arguing on the flying aircraft before it blew up. I also found the fight scenes VERY good. Instead of the characters randomly killing and shooting people up, it was actually full of action and interesting to see how each Avenger would fight.

The effects were great, the dialog, acting, plot, everything was great! Captain America is definitely my favorite Avenger of all time<3
    05-05-2012 11:10 PM
    Absolutely loved the movie!!
    05-05-2012 11:16 PM
    Out of all of em..I think the Hulk probably made me laugh the most. Haha
    05-06-2012 01:19 AM
    Another aspect I'm having trouble reconciling in hindsight is the switch in the Hulk's character from his blind, rage-filled attack on Black Widow on the Helicarrier and his "team player" attitude (with minor mean streak) in the final battle.

Might have been better to have the Helicarrier fight have started off as a misunderstanding. Black Widow firing at the Hulk out fear, him responding, then saving her from some attackers only to have Thor get confused and attack Hulk, thus starting their fight.
    Lucleonhart likes this.
    05-06-2012 10:40 AM
    Another aspect I'm having trouble reconciling in hindsight is the switch in the Hulk's character from his blind, rage-filled attack on Black Widow on the Helicarrier and his "team player" attitude (with minor mean streak) in the final battle.

Might have been better to have the Helicarrier fight have started off as a misunderstanding. Black Window firing at the Hulk out fear, him responding, then saving her from some attackers only to have Thor get confused and attack Hulk, thus starting their fight.
    But remember that Bruce Banner confessed that his ability to control himself was his 'secret' and therefore, I think that his initial unleashing at the Black Widow was because he saw the fear in her eyes and gave her what she and everyone else expected; uncontrolled rage.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    05-06-2012 11:18 AM
    There's an argument to be made that Banner transformed into the Hulk unintentionally at the beginning and intentionally at the end, and that influenced his level of control, but either way, that wasn't made clear by the story telling.

He turned into the Hulk and tried to kill the Black Widow at the beginning. He turned into the Hulk and fought as a team member at the end.

Maybe it got cut for time reasons, but we needed an arc or moment to explain that transition.
    05-06-2012 12:41 PM
    He was in control on the Helicarrier, they were all pissed at each other, he just happened to give in. They were all about to smash each others faces in, Cap wanted Tony to suit up so they could go a few rounds. There was nothing unintentional about his transformation on the ship. If you watch the last Hulk film which is in continuity, it is strongly implied he already has control at the end of that film.

Oh and it was obviously Thanos at the end, it looked exactly like him.
    05-06-2012 12:50 PM
    Why would Banner/Hulk be pissed enough at Black Widow at that moment to want to kill or cripple her? If they'd had her tearing into him before the attack, that would have been better set up.

They did an *amazing* job of making Hulk something everyone feared -- the time bomb he himself referenced. Widow's fear in the cabin at the beginning. The jokes in the lab that weren't jokes.

It was an incredible set up, and having the monster unleashed payed that off. (A controlled Hulk then and there wouldn't have). The audience was trained to expect disaster if the Hulk appeared. It created excellent tension.

Maybe it is in the cut footage, but it doesn't seem like controlled Hulk got set up in the theatrical cut.
    05-06-2012 12:56 PM
    If you recall Black Widow found out that Loki was after using the Hulk. You see Banner grabing his head when Loki gets there. Banner grabbing the staff off the table. My guess it was Loki in his head turning the heat up, by the looks on everyones face they where all affected.
    05-06-2012 01:30 PM
    Exactly! I thought it was pretty clear that they were all under the influence of the staff/sceptre - Banner was not even aware that he was holding it. Loki wanted to turn them all against each other and the sceptre was the tool he was using to do it. So the initial transformation was unintentional, and the later one was controlled.

I found it odd that Loki tapped the sceptre against the arc reactor repeatedly but never tried to move and touch Stark's body directly - seems reasonable the the arc reactor would not influence Stark's thinking, why wouldn't he try direct contact?

Overall - huge fun! Loved the Hulk thrashing Loki and closing with "puny god", and the seemingly random punch thrown at Thor later on - like a brotherly retaliation for an earlier slight
    05-06-2012 09:10 PM
    I so very much enjoyed watching this. Is it just me or does anyone else love the teases after the credits? I am really digging those.
    05-06-2012 09:57 PM
    I so very much enjoyed watching this. Is it just me or does anyone else love the teases after the credits? I am really digging those.
    I'm with you, my friend and I'm so looking forward to the next film in this series.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    05-06-2012 10:03 PM
    I agreed about the Hulk but I can live with the Loki having some influence there. It did seem Banner was fighting to not turn though..and if he has full control..he wouldn't have to fight it if not for Loki.

I really appreciated the tie ins to the other movies.

Saw it in Imax 3D. My 5yr old daughter stayed awake the whole time. She was really excited.

This was easily the best superhero movie I've seen...ever. I'm hoping it influences future movies and wakes up DC. Let's just say i wasn't exactly impressed by the Dark Knight trailer. I'm not sure how they top the Joker. Bane seemed boring in the comics only known for the whole back breaking ordeal (reading that story arc was an ordeal). Sony has the Spiderman rights but a reboot seems too soon..along with having to put up with rehashing the origin which i'd be fine with if it came with avenger tie ins.
    Last edited by cardfan; 05-07-2012 at 08:50 AM.
    05-06-2012 10:17 PM
    I have to say, I went in expecting a bit less than what was delivered (how could I commit such blasphemy against Whedon?). I was blown away. Saw the midnight premier, then again on Saturday with my wife. The second time around was even better than the first (I suppose because I knew to expect and receive greatness this time).
    The ONLY critique I have was about Cap. I wish they had put him in more of a commanding role as he is in the comics. It seemed to be a bit too much Stark, not enough Rogers. They could have played out that tension a bit more apart from everyone else butting heads, but then again, there's always room for that in Avengers 2.
    05-07-2012 11:31 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD