It was terrific. Whedon did an incredible job balancing the action and humor, tearing the characters apart and building them back up. He nailed the Avengers start to finish.

There were so many awesome moments I've almost lost count. Absolutely the best Hulk ever put to screen. The fights were brilliantly done. Dialog was sharp. And he brought the pain.

My one question is -- after setting up the combo powers in the forest fight scene, why didn't he use them in the big end battle? Thor charging Iron Man to 400% and Thor hitting Cap's vibranium shield to create a concussion blast would have been a good payoff to the forest fight, and good set pieces for the end battle. Really odd not to use them.

But hey, why nitpick brilliance?

I'll be seeing it a good dozen times.
    I agree with you, Rene. I thought the "combos" they discovered earlier would be used later, a la the repulsor combo in Iron Man 2.

Another aspect I'm having trouble reconciling in hindsight is the switch in the Hulk's character from his blind, rage-filled attack on Black Widow on the Helicarrier and his "team player" attitude (with minor mean streak) in the final battle.

Might have been better to have the Helicarrier fight have started off as a misunderstanding. Black Widow firing at the Hulk out fear, him responding, then saving her from some attackers only to have Thor get confused and attack Hulk, thus starting their fight.
    I thought this too. If Loki was indeed influencing them, they could have done a better job of making it more obvious to the audience. I thought they were building to something of Tony helping Banner come up with a way to control the Hulk. It's a bit loose there where he just kind of does it.

I agreed about the Hulk but I can live with the Loki having some influence there. It did seem Banner was fighting to not turn though..and if he has full control..he wouldn't have to fight it if not for Loki.

I really appreciated the tie ins to the other movies.

Saw it in Imax 3D. My 5yr old daughter stayed awake the whole time. She was really excited.

This was easily the best superhero movie I've seen...ever. I'm hoping it influences future movies and wakes up DC. Let's just say i wasn't exactly impressed by the Dark Knight trailer. I'm not sure how they top the Joker. Bane seemed boring in the comics only known for the whole back breaking ordeal (reading that story arc was an ordeal). Sony has the Spiderman rights but a reboot seems too soon..along with having to put up with rehashing the origin which i'd be fine with if it came with avenger tie ins.
    I agree DC needs to step it up. Hopefully the upcoming Superman movie will be lights out awesome. They're going to have to throw a WW movie in there somewhere though to lead up to a JLA movie, if you ask me. Marvel did it masterfully setting up their "big 3" with solo films (or two) before going into The Avengers. Plus, Christian Bale has said this is his last Batman film, so if they do JLA they'll need another (ANOTHER! Groan) Dark Knight.

I'd agree that a Spider-Man reboot is too soon except for 2 things:

1. They did a Hulk reboot right away because the 1st was meh.

2. Other than the 1st passable Spider-Man film, they really sucked. Toby McGuire and Kirsten Dunst had zero chemistry, and Kirsten isn't the drop dead gorgeous knockout that MJ should be. The acting was always really mechanical to me. McGuire is a terrible Spider-Man. Don't get me started on the emo "******-Peter" in the final film. Hopefully they do the next ones right.

I don't have a lot of faith in non-Marvel productions though. X-Men, Spider-Man, and FF have all been commercial successes but pretty lackluster films as far as continuity goes. X-Men First Class was good, but again, zero connection to the real Marvel continuity. Marvel really needs to get their property back. It'd be nice to see an X-Men reboot with the real original team, and they can add in further characters in subsequent movies. Maybe a 1st movie with NO Wolverine. Bring him, Nightcrawler, Colossus and Kitty in in the 2nd film. Add Characters like Gambit, Rogue and Storm in the 3rd film. Just make it closer to the original continuity. None of this Prof X and Cyclops being killed B.S.
    05-07-2012 01:14 PM
    Good movie!!! Fun and entertaining!!!
    05-08-2012 12:31 AM
    I'm still hoping someone posts Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman script one day. I'd love to ready what his take was before the project was canned.
    05-08-2012 12:40 AM
    The Avengers in high school...

ghostface147 and Just_Me_D like this.
    05-08-2012 07:22 PM
    I watched it and thought it was a very good movie. It was a bit long and this is after JW removed 40 minutes of footage. I think they hype was bigger than the movie itself. B+.

The funniest part for me was at the end where they all just sitting there eating. After all that action, sometimes you just want to eat in silence.

I think Batman will make more money but if it loses, it's because Nolan doesn't want it in 3D. Excellent decision as nearly all 3D movies look terrible.
    05-08-2012 08:49 PM
    They're probably going to make an App (game, etc) for that...
    05-09-2012 09:06 PM
    Just saw Avengers for the second time. Holds up incredibly well. But I noticed another story glitch:

They make a big deal about SHIELD developing Phase II weapons based on the Teseract, and they show a bomb/missile. But then they do nothing with it.

At the end of the movie, instead of nuke, why didn't the council launch a Teseract-based missile?

That would have paid off the set up, and been a more meaningful moment than just some nuke.\

The aliens wanted the Teseract so much, Iron Man could have given it to them, at least in some explosive way.

Really odd they missed that.
    05-12-2012 12:04 AM
    Wasn't it inaccessible due to the fact it was holding the gate open? From the moment Loki shoes up on earth, SHIELD never really got it back until after they closed the gate.
    05-12-2012 09:05 AM
    Just saw Avengers for the second time. Holds up incredibly well. But I noticed another story glitch:

They make a big deal about SHIELD developing Phase II weapons based on the Teseract, and they show a bomb/missile. But then they do nothing with it.

At the end of the movie, instead of nuke, why didn't the council launch a Teseract-based missile?

That would have paid off the set up, and been a more meaningful moment than just some nuke.\

The aliens wanted the Teseract so much, Iron Man could have given it to them, at least in some explosive way.

Really odd they missed that.
    1. They didn't have control of the teseract.
    2. They realized they couldn't control it properly anyway.
    3. Shield didn't launch the nuke.
    05-13-2012 11:14 AM
    I still haven't seen it
    07-16-2012 07:35 AM
    I still haven't seen it
    If it is still showing somewhere, go see it. It is indeed an excellent movie.

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    07-16-2012 09:13 AM
    Yeah it fantastic action movie,Thor and Captain done well.
    08-22-2012 10:15 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD