Official Review thread: Hunger Games

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Haven't read the book but I have watched the trailers. Looks like a modern teen take on the Most Dangerous Game. Any good? Worth watching in the theaters or better to wait and rent it on iTunes?

Read the book first or does in not matter?

If you have a review, plant it here!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read the book, but I did watch the movie and I thought it was pretty good. I expected it to be a blood bath of a movie, but it was nothing like that so if you're expecting to see a lot of blood and guts, that's not going to happen. Would I pay to see it at the theatre again? Maybe. Am I getting it when it is released on DVD? Definitely, GOD willing.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

LearyLAZ

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't watch the movie before you read the book !!! haha i know i know, that's what everyone says... but you'll appreciate the movie a lot more and the book is actually a really easy read.

windrider07

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Didn't read the book but I watched the movie. Was a really great movie...I enjoyed it a lot. Storyline was good. Though I can already assume they didn't go by the book cuz the Hunger Games itself went by really fast. But I would definitely recommend watching it. It's a very competitive movie.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Read the books and went and saw the movie last night.

There are a lot of differences between the book and the movie, but there isn't anything that just drags the movie down or makes it as awful as a lot of people say. The muttations weren't what I thought and the Cornucopia was said to be golden in the book but was a gun metal color in the movie and most importantly, the ending of the movie wasn't on par with the book. They left a lot of things out, but I really enjoyed seeing it. The Avoxes weren't given the part in the movie that they did in the book and I missed that, especially with the red headed Avox knowing Katniss and Peeta. That played a part in the book with Katniss's emotions after she first meets the Avox girl, but it wasn't even mentioned in the movie. The Avoxes were in the background, but that's it. Maybe they'll make a showing in the deleted scenes of the DVD.

Effie's outfits made me laugh every time she came on screen.

I'm not a Woody Harrelson fan, but he did a good job as Haymitch. I absolutely loved Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, Katniss's stylist.

The Rue scenes were excellently done and were the best in the movie IMO. That's all I'll say so I won't spoil it.

Last edited:

Stephxieh

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I really enjoyed the movie.

I read the first book in 2009 I think and the whole series went on to be really good. It was the kind of book where you may not like what is happening, you aren't gushing the whole time but it tells a really good story.

I think the things they changed for the movie were minimal and can be worked into the next two without really changing any major plot points.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to follow up to this thread. Anyway, I bought the e-book and read it about a month ago and with the exception of the mentioning of the Avox people, the book was spot-on with the movie. As I mentioned in my first reply, I will indeed get the DVD when it is released.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I forgot to follow up to this thread. Anyway, I bought the e-book and read it about a month ago and with the exception of the mentioning of the Avox people, the book was spot-on with the movie. As I mentioned in my first reply, I will indeed get the DVD when it is released.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Yea it was pretty close, they got the spirit of most things. The got the mocking jay pin wrong too, it came from the Mayor's daughter. They also cut alot of stuff short, for example Katniss & Rue's time together, and Katniss and Peeta's time in the cave. Of course they had to get it all in and make it be a 2 hour movie.

I'm reading book 2 right now.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

I'll be one of those dorks in line at midnight for the release party like I've been for the Twilight DVDs. Yeah, I'm a dork.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2