YouTube: Picture-in-picture support is coming to iOS 'in a matter of days'

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking forward to this, and hoping that it's also available on iPadOS!

I got really excited till the end of the article

After promising that picture-in-picture support would be rolling out to all iOS users "in a matter of days," YouTube is now walking back that statement. The company said that it mispoke and actually was talking about the YouTube TV app when it mentioned picture-in-picture support on iOS.

The company did not say when (or if) support for picture-in-picture would be coming to iPhone and iPad users for non-Premium users.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I got really excited till the end of the article

After promising that picture-in-picture support would be rolling out to all iOS users "in a matter of days," YouTube is now walking back that statement. The company said that it mispoke and actually was talking about the YouTube TV app when it mentioned picture-in-picture support on iOS.

The company did not say when (or if) support for picture-in-picture would be coming to iPhone and iPad users for non-Premium users.

Ugh!!! That is frustrating and disappointing... and embarrassing!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
When someone tells me what it’s for… on an iPhone? I won’t be paying YouTube/Google for it anyway. Split screen is irritating enough on iPad !

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I already use Picture in Picture with YouTube website on my iPad. I have no use for the app, since YouTube is really just a website anyway. Works like a charm. Don’t pay a thing.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When someone tells me what it’s for… on an iPhone? I won’t be paying YouTube/Google for it anyway. Split screen is irritating enough on iPad !

It's not split screen. Some apps already have pic in pic on iPhone. ESPN, Xfinity Stream, and TV+ are a few. When it's on screen, you can move it around to different locations on the screen. I like pic in pic on iPhone. And you can dismiss it at any time. YouTube would be cool on pic in pic. I could watch and listen to videos while browsing iMore.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I already use Picture in Picture with YouTube website on my iPad. I have no use for the app, since YouTube is really just a website anyway. Works like a charm. Don’t pay a thing.

Are you talking about split screen on iPad? Pic in pic is different. This is Storage Wars on pic in pic. Won't let you screenshot them. But the closed caption shows.
bfe2b8b66b9e3ead857bfed21be308fa.png

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
It's not split screen. Some apps already have pic in pic on iPhone. ESPN, Xfinity Stream, and TV+ are a few. When it's on screen, you can move it around to different locations on the screen. I like pic in pic on iPhone. And you can dismiss it at any time. YouTube would be cool on pic in pic. I could watch and listen to videos while browsing iMore.

I don’t remember saying it was split screen !
What I said was split screen on iPad was irritating, and the inference was that PiP was likely to be even more so.
I do not think PiP is suitable for small screens like iPads.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
What I said was split screen on iPad was irritating, and the inference was that PiP was likely to be even more so.

I respect your opinion

I for one have the opposite. PiP is a wonderful feature to have even on an iPhone.

Watching a movie or YouTube vids in a small box gives you access to multitask your time when you have little of it. YouTube has lots of useful content like troubleshooting your device that comes in handy when you don’t have to continue app switching while working on a problem. I know seems trivial but can come in handy

We already have a form of PiP while in a FaceTime call and with The new share screen option you can have movie or music night from a long distance

I’m actually using Hanx Writer app on my 13 Pro Max to write my Autobiography and watch Netflix while I’m thinking about my page content. It’s soothing

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I use it on my iPhone. I like it. It's optional. You don't have to use it. But if you do, you can move it around on the screen. Top, bottom, left or right.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I respect your opinion

I for one have the opposite. PiP is a wonderful feature to have even on an iPhone.

Watching a movie or YouTube vids in a small box gives you access to multitask your time when you have little of it. YouTube has lots of useful content like troubleshooting your device that comes in handy when you don’t have to continue app switching while working on a problem. I know seems trivial but can come in handy

We already have a form of PiP while in a FaceTime call and with The new share screen option you can have movie or music night from a long distance

I’m actually using Hanx Writer app on my 13 Pro Max to write my Autobiography and watch Netflix while I’m thinking about my page content. It’s soothing

I like to use it while watching 2 college football games. One on TV, and one on pip, while also interacting on my football forum.