Your opinion-Jet Black-Keep it or return it

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
My question. I ordered from T-Mobile a Matte Black 256GB 7 Plus and received the Jet Black by mistake. T-Mobile is running a promo where you get the 256GB for the price of a 128GB. I tried to return it and Matte Black is out of stock with no ETA. I love the look of the Jet Black but I am afraid of scratching it. My case is an official Apple silicone case that leaves the bottom exposed.

Am I being too concerned about scratches or should I just return it? Don't want the silver, etc. I do eventually sell off my older tech as I upgrade periodically and I keep my tech looking mint. Anyone out there been successful in keeping your Jet Black scratch free? Thanks.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
If it gets scratched, return it and demand a replacement. A smartphone that scratches easily is not fit for purpose and should not be sold. Not for the price of a Nokia 620 and certainly not for the price of an iphone.

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
If it gets scratched, return it and demand a replacement. A smartphone that scratches easily is not fit for purpose and should not be sold. Not for the price of a Nokia 620 and certainly not for the price of an iphone.

I totally agree. But Apple warns that it is easily scratched. From their web site:

The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone.

So they are warning it will be scratched. I am just trying to get a real feel for how bad of a problem this is. This is an expensive purchase.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

What good does "demanding" do? It's cosmetic. Doubtful your advice would get them very far.

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
That is what I read. Most when they report it get the answer it is cosmetic, we warned you and too bad but that is it. Even those that experienced chipping usually are refused, even when it is obvious it was not dropped. Apple doesn't warrant cosmetics. I agree it shouldn't scratch but if I keep it and it scratches I own it.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
What good does "demanding" do? It's cosmetic. Doubtful your advice would get them very far.

People here return products all the time simply because they don't like them. When a product is actually faulty, I expect a shop to refund, replace or repair it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Nothing is scratch free. Use a case ! It is the only way to protect a device. I never use my phone naked. I have the rose gold and it can scratch too. I prefer to protect my phones. I also have a case on my Mac Pro as well as my ipad

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site
I made the mistake when I switched from sprint to Verizon back in February. I ordered the matte black to start but wanted Jet Black because it was "the keynote color" for the iPhone 7. Well careful what you wish for because I'm extremely OCD with my tech and have struggled with skins and clear skins to protect the back of the phone and still I've managed to put a nice scratch down the back. Plus it's a dust magnet. Make them order you a matte black.
93a11c26d7f251ae42abeee208a6760c.jpg
868ed8029dd037adb5f812231730fa3f.jpg
a41c918ca1239e52b769a4e34cc393e1.jpg
ae91d1477c98e158f474eccb9c63652e.jpg

This color is also hard to photograph, but in darker light the scratches are more pronounced.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Those I know that own the color JB have scratches with or without a case and have just learned to live with it. So regardless how careful you are I'm sure some scratches are bound to happen with this type of high gloss finish not to mention fingerprints and dust will be more pronounced with this color too. If you're concerned about any kind of scratch whatsoever then return it for MB.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth I have the matte black and love it, much prefer the look over the jet black when I compared the two. But I use a case, you likely will as well so if it doesn't bother you too much just stick with that jet

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Make T-mobile aware of the situation and have them send you a matte black iPhone like you originally ordered and that you will be using the other JB phone until your provided with the proper phone ...

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use.

Apple's message says nothing about "easily scratched" concerning the Jet Black finish, but it says "may" show fine micro-abrasions with use. With that said, Ive had my Jet black 7 Plus since October and I have ZERO micro-abrasions, scratches or blemishes (I'm holding it up to the sunlight right now). Of course my iPhone rarely sees the light of day except when I'm home and on a few occasions when I ran to the local store without putting a case on it. The Jet Black finish is a lot durable than people without the Jet Black make it out to be.
I suggest if you like it, keep it, but if you didn't get the color you ordered and want Matte Black then let Apple know.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the Jet Black, I had the Matte black previously. After having both I honestly recommend the matte black. It has a little better grip on the hand and does not get all smudgy like the jet black. As far as scratches, they both scratch. Easier to see them on the jet black.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Odd, I looked at both in-store and found the jet black to be grippier (if that makes any sense!)...... so I went with jet black over matte.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Jet Black. I had the Matte Black and if you don't have it in a case its a slippery bar of soap. The Jet Black looks so much nicer in my opinion and to me its a collectors item. I use mine naked and it provides so much better grip than the matte black. Does it get micro abrasions? Sure, but they are only noticeable in direct sunlight. Unless my phone is sitting in the glare of the sun it looks as good as the day I bought it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
It's going to happen. A glossy finish no matter if phone or case will show scratches more. A case will protect your phone
I gave glossy cases on my rose gold phone. I have Matt cases too. It doesn't matter to me. My phone is protected and that's all I care about. A case gives me a better grip

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73