Your iPhone gets soaked with water. What's your method of bringing it back to life?

BenL#IM

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Well thanks to pockets in swimming trunks, I took a unexpected swim with my iPhone 4. Right now its sitting in uncooked rice to absorb moisture. If it doesnt work by the end of the weekend I'm shipping to iFixyouI for 40 dollars.

But if right now, your iPhone was dropped in water, what would you do? New phone, ship it off, rice trick, take it apart, go back to old phone, or other methods?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
If it's going to take a week+, ship it off. No point waiting a week+, only to find out the 'rice trick' didn't work, then you have to ship it off anyway...

PS: make sure they offer X days\months of warranty on their work.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I've used rice with a hair dryer I didn't wait a week only like a hour on and off heat just don't get to hot for too long

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
But if right now, your iPhone was dropped in water, what would you do? New phone, ship it off, rice trick, take it apart, go back to old phone, or other methods?

Right now - I'd file an insurance claim on it, and have a replacement delivered on Monday.

BenL#IM

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I made my self clear. I'm just waiting the weekend (Sunday night) for the rice. Mail doesn't run over the weekend so no point in sending it off. I don't have insurance. And I'm Jailbroken. And its only 40 bucks too.

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Go to your hardware store and pick up a box of dehumidifying crystals, this will work much faster/better than rice. Speaking from experience.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Go to your hardware store and pick up a box of dehumidifying crystals, this will work much faster/better than rice. Speaking from experience.

Yeah. This is pretty good as well. Eventually the phone is going to dry off and
be able to be turned on. If it already isn't.

paco87

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Alcohol

I tried this with the only phone I ever drowned, a Nokia I had many years ago. I took off every removable part it had (not that the iPhone has that many), submerged it in alcohol (the one you buy in drugstores, not bars or liquor stores :) ) for about 30 to 45 minutes, shook it a couple of times and left it overnight in front of the A/C. The next day it worked as if nothing ever happened.

I can't take credit for this. After I jumped in a pool and noticed that the phone was still in my pocket, I called (from another phone) my carrier's CS dept but it was Saturday in the afternoon and the service centers were closed so the CSR told me to do that. The rationale was that by submerging the phone in alcohol, it would displace the water that was inside and being the alcohol so volatile, it would evaporate rather quickly, thus minimizing the risk of liquid damage. The explanation may or may not make sense but it worked like a charm for me. I had it for a little over a year, when I decided to just replace it.

Itsfoxy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Kinda on subject but not...I dreamed last night I was pushed into the pool with my Iphone in my pocket and it died. I woke up this morning and was so relieved it was just a bad nightmare.