You won't believe how few people buy iPhones from Apple

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
>>anyone buying an iPhone 14 is only likely to do so from Apple 25% of the time<<

25% is about 44 million iPhones or in the ballpark of 40 billion in iPhone revenue. I don’t think “how FEW people buy iPhones from Apple” is accurate. I’m surprised Amazon has not tried to get in on it.

>> All of this is particularly interesting given Apple's love-hate relationship with carriers. Apple famously doesn't allow carriers to install their bloatware on iPhones, whereas Android phones are often full of it<<

Now ‘Full of it’ seems more accurate:). Regardless, bloatware is one of those oft unmentioned but yet another IPhone advantage.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
>>anyone buying an iPhone 14 is only likely to do so from Apple 25% of the time<<

25% is about 44 million iPhones or in the ballpark of 40 billion in iPhone revenue. I don’t think “how FEW people buy iPhones from Apple” is accurate. I’m surprised Amazon has not tried to get in on it.

>> All of this is particularly interesting given Apple's love-hate relationship with carriers. Apple famously doesn't allow carriers to install their bloatware on iPhones, whereas Android phones are often full of it<<

Now ‘Full of it’ seems more accurate:). Regardless, bloatware is one of those oft unmentioned but yet another IPhone advantage.

Indeed. In addition, I suspect the majority are in some type of payment plan with their carriers so it makes sense for them to order directly from them instead of from Apple. I’d also add that a good deal of people aren’t interested in waiting in a long line at the Apple Store or waiting up to order on launch day.
Personally, I purchase from the place I can find it the quickest. Sometimes, it’s the Apple Store, other times, it’s Best Buy, Verizon or at a mall that’s not in Orlando.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Indeed. In addition, I suspect the majority are in some type of payment plan with their carriers so it makes sense for them to order directly from them instead of from Apple. I’d also add that a good deal of people aren’t interested in waiting in a long line at the Apple Store or waiting up to order on launch day.
Personally, I purchase from the place I can find it the quickest. Sometimes, it’s the Apple Store, other times, it’s Best Buy, Verizon or at a mall that’s not in Orlando.

This!
Like D, I’ve bought from the Apple Store, Apple Refurb Store, Amazon, Walmart, T Mobile.
If I have a favorite it is the Apple Refurb store (M1 MBA). When I want it absolute day one of release I usually am buying from the Apple Store (AirPods Pro 2 and IPad Mini 6). But I got my first new Watch S6 from Walmart at barely above 300$. Christmas IPad refurbished from Amazon are excellently priced.
Gotta go with savings! But to the story of “few” sold from Apple Store, yea umm no. :)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
100% Apple Store. I don’t “finance” anything through my mobile carrier as I don’t want to be “locked in” until it’s paid off.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
The Store is 10 minutes away from me, and you could nearly have two phones for the extra cost of a monthly agreement, bearing in mind you don’t always get the best data price with a carrier agreement. It will be interesting to see the sim cost when the physical sim disappears completely.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
100% Apple Store. I don’t “finance” anything through my mobile carrier as I don’t want to be “locked in” until it’s paid off.

I do get this view Lee. IME rarely is anything actually free. The upfront cost is just cut into pieces, moved around, spread out, maybe even given nicer sounding names.
I think this is one of things many people overlook. Save money upfront with “free” but never doing the long term math. With that said, carrier deals can save some people money under the right circumstances.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I do get this view Lee. IME rarely is anything actually free. The upfront cost is just cut into pieces, moved around, spread out, maybe even given nicer sounding names.
I think this is one of things many people overlook. Save money upfront with “free” but never doing the long term math. With that said, carrier deals can save some people money under the right circumstances.

A few times in the past, “financing” an item with Tmo was a little cheaper than Apple. However, it becomes a moot point when I use my Apple Card (for the Apple Cash back) which more than makes the difference. Then I turn around, as soon as the transaction processes, and pay off the charge. It’s a win-win.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
A few times in the past, “financing” an item with Tmo was a little cheaper than Apple. However, it becomes a moot point when I use my Apple Card (for the Apple Cash back) which more than makes the difference. Then I turn around, as soon as the transaction processes, and pay off the charge. It’s a win-win.

Definitely see the benefits of the Apple Card. 3% up front with no financing/interest free 24 month payments. For anyone buying from the Apple Store, getting/using the Apple Card isn’t brainer especially given there is essentially no fees ever.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I bought my phone through a carrier. I feel like it’s easier than to buy it through the Apple Store. Probably my next iPhone I want to buy it from apple and get the apple experience

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I bought my phone through a carrier. I feel like it’s easier than to buy it through the Apple Store. Probably my next iPhone I want to buy it from apple and get the apple experience

I have to disagree with this. I did buy mine from T Mobile this time but it’s a process. On the Apple Store app it’s about 8 clicks with most of them on the same page: Model, color, storage, the carrier or unlocked, trade in or not, Apple Care or not, fast or free shipping, onto the payment page. If you have the Apple Card it’s a one click payment. Selecting a trade in opens a new page of clicks but only 3 or 4 clicks.
It beat T Mobile by a lot of clicks and that doesn’t count the then process of starting a new service.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Because of good offers with the carrier, people tend to buy it there instead of from the official store!

Exactly this! I've always wanted to buy an iPhone from the Apple Store but never have, because I've always ended up getting better trade-in deals from my carrier.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I recommande buying an iPhone from the Apple Store or the Apple Store app, always a great experience. The 3g was the last iPhone I purchased from a carrier.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Because of good offers with the carrier, people tend to buy it there instead of from the official store!

I have never seen an offer from a carrier which if properly unpicked,ended up being cheaper than Apple. Longer to pay at the smallest fee yes, but you pay for it !

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Best Buy doesn’t sell unlocked phones. Tied to a carrier. I was overseas trying to get a SIM card to work. Lucky my wife was able to get the carrier to unlock it. I’ve bought several iPhones at several local Apple stores. No problems.

Step into the now. Different carrier (Xfinity) buy an iPhone 13, (insert colorful adverb to be used as an intensifier here) moron that sold the phone pulls up my account (why, I’m paying cash) and puts it on the card on file that is used to pay the bill, while I have the payment in hand. To change the payment, I have to return the phone, and get a different one, which they don’t have anymore. Oh, and even though it’s technically paid in full, I noticed it was carrier locked…

I’ve got five Apple stores located 30-45 minutes from me. (Houston). Never again.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I honestly didn’t go thru and read all of the comments….but I always buy my phones from Apple now(since the 6S Plus). I get them carrier unlocked, use my  card and pay it off either immediately or within 6 mths of purchase. I find buying it thru the Apple Store so much more of a pleasant purchasing experience, whether I go to the store for pick up or I have it delivered same day. That’s just me tho…other people prefer to use Best Buy or their carrier for convenience or (lack of Apple Store) locations. What works for someone will always differ than what someone else prefers

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I’ve purchased from Apple, Best Buy, and Verizon. For me it depends solely upon who has what I want in stock for immediate pickup or delivery at the time of purchase. I pay cash or pay off the bill once received so honestly it makes no difference to me where it comes from. I don’t care about trade in credits because my old device serves as a backup in case it’s ever needed. I say purchase from whatever source works best for you and your finances.