Yahoo Mail not Pushing Anymore?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Chiming in briefly, you guys do know about this: Is Yahoo Mail down? Check status and report outages at downrightnow - user-reported status updates for all to see (I've posted it before regarding Yahoo email), and the site's reporting service disruptions for most of the past several days, including today (about 8 hours ago).

As for Apple/Yahoo, Apple's got a special "deal" with Yahoo for IMAP mail and push notifications for email on iOS (not push email). Regardless of these email issues, I gave up on Yahoo email (paid and free) - the service just doesn't work well enough for me no matter the mobile platform. I stick to Gmail (free) and hosted Exchange (work). Good luck.

Ahhhh, bonesb, I did not know there was issues going on. I honestly haven't even though about searching to see if there were, so thank you for the info there.:)

Yahoo has been a little b*tch lately even more so than it was on my bb and I have put a lot of consideration to creating a gmail account. I think once the craziness from the holidays are over, this will be on my list of things to do:)

Exactamundo! Yahoo is not true push mail. Just the notifications. So likely what us happening that when the code was written, I bet something did not hold true to the IMAP standard, resulting in our "issues" we have been seeing. The bug question is who owns up to this and who wants to make the time to fix, if either of them do......

jlb as far as the issues go, I honestly don't think either Apple or Yahoo will attempt to "correct" the issue unless enough people complain. Just from what I've seen, a lot of people are using gmail these days.....I don't see to many yahoo'ers anymore.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Chiming in briefly, you guys do know about this: Is Yahoo Mail down? Check status and report outages at downrightnow - user-reported status updates for all to see (I've posted it before regarding Yahoo email), and the site's reporting service disruptions for most of the past several days, including today (about 8 hours ago).

As for Apple/Yahoo, Apple's got a special "deal" with Yahoo for IMAP mail and push notifications for email on iOS (not push email). Regardless of these email issues, I gave up on Yahoo email (paid and free) - the service just doesn't work well enough for me no matter the mobile platform. I stick to Gmail (free) and hosted Exchange (work). Good luck.

And if you set up gmail as exchange it pushes

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

B

bonesb

And if you set up gmail as exchange it pushes

Actually, no. Google Sync synchronizes email/contact/calendar data via Google's implementation of EAS; Google hasn't published how it syncs its data to mobile devices to its users (be sure to point it out to me IYK more than I do here re GS - as a small business owner that uses Google Premier Apps I haven't seen much detail from Google on their sync infrastructure). I'm not knocking Gmail for what it is, but I don't recall getting into it in this thread - until now, that is. ;)

B

bonesb

Ahhhh, bonesb, I did not know there was issues going on. I honestly haven't even though about searching to see if there were, so thank you for the info there.:)

Yahoo has been a little b*tch lately even more so than it was on my bb and I have put a lot of consideration to creating a gmail account. I think once the craziness from the holidays are over, this will be on my list of things to do :)

Agreed on Yahoo just being a royal b*tch. I gave up BBOS about a year ago partly because both BIS and Yahoo just were crapping out on me. All but one of my friends then on Yahoo were either Chinese or Pilipino - but all except one of them have switched to Gmail/Hotmail/iCloud, with the single holdout now living here we just text or call now. All of my friends on Yahoo have had their account hacked in the last here (in Asia/Canada/US) - me too - so we're generally done with Yahoo. I'm way happier with Gmail and Live Mail, especially for mobile devices (although Hotmail has been a PITA today!). Switch to Gmail from Ymail, I'm glad I did.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Agreed on Yahoo just being a royal b*tch. I gave up BBOS about a year ago partly because both BIS and Yahoo just were crapping out on me. All but one of my friends then on Yahoo were either Chinese or Pilipino - but all except one of them have switched to Gmail/Hotmail/iCloud, with the single holdout now living here we just text or call now. All of my friends on Yahoo have had their account hacked in the last here (in Asia/Canada/US) - me too - so we're generally done with Yahoo. I'm way happier with Gmail and Live Mail, especially for mobile devices (although Hotmail has been a PITA today!). Switch to Gmail from Ymail, I'm glad I did.

I've have my Yahoo acct for over a year--it what i used on my bb's to email wps, ringtones, get forums notifications(PMs). It's just a 'fun' email set up--not used for anything person--and still isnt.

I really had no problems with Yahoo till a few months ago when they starting changing their TOS. Thats when i really saw on my bb sometimes mail wouldnt send--it would take 3 or 4 tries sometimes and then the days of when it just wasnt working at all (before i had my iphone in Nov) !! I can say MOST days it worked OK. But like i said within the last few mths of their service changes -- the service has really been in the toilet to say the least....

With this weeks 'outage' or whatever you wanna call it with them, i would open up my mail app for Yahoo and i'd get the "connection to the server failed-cannot get mail" msg. along with the mobile mail crash item in diags & usage :rolleyes:

So with that being said, i'm pretty much done with Yahoo and in the new year i will take the time to create a free Gmail account that i can use just as a 'fun' email acct. and get rid of my yahoo one altogether.

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
jlb as far as the issues go, I honestly don't think either Apple or Yahoo will attempt to "correct" the issue unless enough people complain. Just from what I've seen, a lot of people are using gmail these days.....I don't see to many yahoo'ers anymore.

So here's my current deal. I have done all the suggested things and over time is still have some intermittent issues with Yahoo mail being received timely.

So for now I, too, have set up a gmail account. I have given that address to family, close friends, and anyone else for which I want to make sure I receive the mail timely. Everything else, for now, I am leaving with Yahoo....not nearly as time critical.

Also, I have spoken with folks on both the Apple iOS and Yahoo who side who say the "issue" is being worked on. On the iOS side, I have been in contact with an iOS senior developer (transferred to him from the phone support line). For yahoo, whomever controls the @yahoomail twitter feed caught on to my issues via my tweets and asked for more info and said the issue is being looked at.

Of course, noone may REALLY be looking at it, but that, again, is why I setup gmail for some of my contacts to use.

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

LyndaP

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I have had issues with Yahoo mail pushing a couple of times but deleting the account and reloading it always fixed the problem. Until yesterday. Nothing I've done has fixed it - I have deleted and reloaded the account multiple times; several times I've hard-rebooted the phone before reloading the account. Still no joy. I am now forwarding yahoo mail to my .me account for the time being while I decide what to do. I've had this yahoo email address for 14 years and hate to give it up. It's been my experience that tying to talk to a real person at yahoo only ends in anger and frustration and a complete lack of satisfaction, so I haven't even gone that route yet.

xxjokerxx

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been having issues for almost 5 days now. I've deleted my email account from the phone and reloaded it, didn't fix it. Nothing I do seems to work. Someone mentioned forwarding email to another address. How do you do that?

LyndaP

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
To forward to another email address: at the top of the Yahoo mail page on your computer, click "Options - Mail Options." That will lead you to the opportunity to forward to another address. You will have to confirm your forwarding request via email - which is ironic considering the circumstances. This will result in email being pushed - in my case I now get duplicates of every email - one on my Yahoo account and one on my .me account. And my phone alerts twice with each email I receive, which makes no sense to me at all.

I am convinced that this is a Yahoo problem, not a cellular provider issue, nor is it a problem within Apple.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I am convinced that this is a Yahoo problem, not a cellular provider issue, nor is it a problem within Apple.
i'm with you on this Lynda. I've had a yahoo email addy for about 3-4yrs now, and i can honestly say in the past 4mths(since sept.2010) when Yahoo changed their TOS, is when i noticed very glitchy email service with them. Now, at the time i still had my blackberry 9650 and even THEN my yahoo would act up and send, not send-recieve, not receive....ugh !! it was a PITA !!

SO, when i got my iPhone4S in Nov.2010 and added my yahoo acct, i still had glitchy-ness here and there, but because i had issues prior to my iPhone, i would def say its yahoo. I still have my yahoo acct. on my iPhone, i havent done the gmail thing YET because its been behaving, although this week on Wed., it was acting up a bit but nothing to write home about, lol.

Eh !! one of these days i WILL get completely fed up with it and do the gmail thing !!

zee921

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
To forward to another email address: at the top of the Yahoo mail page on your computer, click "Options - Mail Options." That will lead you to the opportunity to forward to another address. You will have to confirm your forwarding request via email - which is ironic considering the circumstances. This will result in email being pushed - in my case I now get duplicates of every email - one on my Yahoo account and one on my .me account. And my phone alerts twice with each email I receive, which makes no sense to me at all.

I tried to set up my yahoo to forward, bit when I go to the forward section in options, nothing happens. Is forwarding only available for yahoo+?

Brought to you via Tapatalk.

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Seems even worse for me now. Almost as if there is no "push" at all.

There is one part of me that is hoping that this is due to them changing how they handle it to make it better....but I doubt it....

gary1949

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I purchased Yahoo Plus ($20/yr.) so that my email would work with iCloud (POP needed) and I was hoping push notifications would improve with Yahoo's premium service. It didn't. I decided to switch from Yahoo to Gmail, so I spent most of the past weekend notifying my contacts, changing my email address in eBay, Paypal, Facebook and a hundred or so other accounts, creating a new Apple ID, etc, etc. It was a PITA, but now it's done.

Gmail pushes to my iPhone 4S in seconds (I've done several tests). Works flawlessly.

Bite the bullet and move on to an email provider that plays well with the iPhone. :rolleyes:

christyr143

Jul 24, 2008
Visit site
My husbands hasn't been pushing either. It's working for me at the moment but I have found yahoo to always be hit or miss. Might be time to make a switch. It's just such a pain!

oklanole

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Didn't realize (ok, I didn't search) that there was a thread about this already. My yahoo and work email don't push anymore either. Well kinda. I can have no emails when I get up in the morning but as soons as I tap the email app emails load up my inbox. Some from even the night before. Grrrr!

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Gmail FTW I got a ton of invites lol I never had a issue with push notifications on mine with Gmail

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Seeing the same. No push email from yahoo (AT&T) or mobile me.

Yup Yahoo email still down for push email for me. My me.com is currently working with push but never know when it will stop working. My gmail is 99.9% uptime for push.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro