Xs call quality issues, help please

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Im a longtime iPhone user and pretty attached to the Apple ecosystem however I’m on my second X’s and am having the same call issues with my newest Xs that I had with my first one.
After a few minutes of a call the people I’m talking to can no longer hear me and I have to repeatedly call them back and that usually doesn’t really help, sometimes my Xs won’t even ring when someone is calling me and I get a voicemail an hour or two later.
I’ve tried new SIM cards from T-Mobile and I’m on my second exchange Xs and that didn’t solve the same calling issues.
For fun, I just picked up a new Galaxy S10e and am having no calling issues whatsoever with the Galaxy.
The S10e is definitely a great phone but as I said I’m pretty deep into the Apple ecosystem and would rather stay with iPhone because of that.
I’ve read online that I’m not the only one having the same call issues with my Xs but have not seen any mention of a fix besides Apple is aware of the issues.
I’m getting ready to hit the Apple store to see if they can fix my Xs (I’m still in warranty) but if it’s a problem with the current iOS 12.1.4 what can Apple do ?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Davyo

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Im a longtime iPhone user and pretty attached to the Apple ecosystem however I’m on my second X’s and am having the same call issues with my newest Xs that I had with my first one.
After a few minutes of a call the people I’m talking to can no longer hear me and I have to repeatedly call them back and that usually doesn’t really help, sometimes my Xs won’t even ring when someone is calling me and I get a voicemail an hour or two later.
I’ve tried new SIM cards from T-Mobile and I’m on my second exchange Xs and that didn’t solve the same calling issues.
For fun, I just picked up a new Galaxy S10e and am having no calling issues whatsoever with the Galaxy.
The S10e is definitely a great phone but as I said I’m pretty deep into the Apple ecosystem and would rather stay with iPhone because of that.
I’ve read online that I’m not the only one having the same call issues with my Xs but have not seen any mention of a fix besides Apple is aware of the issues.
I’m getting ready to hit the Apple store to see if they can fix my Xs (I’m still in warranty) but if it’s a problem with the current iOS 12.1.4 what can Apple do ?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Davyo

I have a Xs Max (12.1.4) on Verizon and I don't have any call quality issues, but I'm curious to find out your outcome/explanation when you go to the Apple Store. Do report back and let us know.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a case on your iPhone? If so, does the cellular strength improve when you take it off? Does the problem occurs more when you’re holding the iPhone as oppose to when using an earpiece?

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a very thin case on my Xs, I’ve never tried the phone with the case off but even it it improved my call quality I would still be a bit nervous about rockin my Xs naked.
Davyo

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a Xs Max (12.1.4) on Verizon and I don't have any call quality issues, but I'm curious to find out your outcome/explanation when you go to the Apple Store. Do report back and let us know.

If I’m able to get to my Apple store I will definitely report back as to the outcome.
My work schedule is pretty hectic making a visit to Apple a bit problematic.
Davyo

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a very thin case on my Xs, I’ve never tried the phone with the case off but even it it improved my call quality I would still be a bit nervous about rockin my Xs naked.
Davyo

I understand that. I was trying to troubleshoot the problem. If it turns out to indeed be the case then you may want to put on a different one.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I understand that. I was trying to troubleshoot the problem. If it turns out to indeed be the case then you may want to put on a different one.

I do remember a while back where some aluminum cases and bumper cases was effecting signal quality. I forgot which iPhone model that was but I think that has been addressed in these newer models, but you never know.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I do remember a while back where some aluminum cases and bumper cases was effecting signal quality. I forgot which iPhone model that was but I think that has been addressed in these newer models, but you never know.
Edit; I remember now. It was my 6 Plus. I purchased a red aluminum bumper type case and made my iPhone virtually unusable. Needless to say I've never purchased an aluminum case again for any model of iPhone I've had.

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
So I made it to the Apple store today and they ran a diagnostic’s on my Xs that showed nothing wrong, I kinda figured that would be the results.
The Apple people were very nice and after some discussion about how my Galaxy S10e is working perfectly with no calling issues they switched out my Xs for another Xs.
For the last few hours I’ve been making calls, receiving calls and doing texting to test out my replacement Xs and it seems to be working fine with no muffled calling problems and no other issues.
With that being said I will be returning the new Galaxy S10e and sticking with iPhone,, however my experience with the new S10e was very positive, it’s definitely a great phone and I kinda hate to return it.
I really wish Apple would follow thru on the rumored promise of Dark Mode and always On would be really nice too,, those 2 features on the Galaxy are really great !!!
Apple really needs to play catch-up with some much needed features that Android has offered for a long time now.
Thanks all for the feedback.
Cheers, Davyo

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I still have this problem on my XS, basically I have no idea what level volume the earphone will be at from one phone call to the next, say for instance I call a cab, volume ok, I put the phone down, ten minutes later my cab arrives, the driver calls me, I can hardly hear him, he’s less than a hundred feet away ! Next day all fine, but bad on way home, what is occurring?why does my phone not amplify to set levels ?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
So I made it to the Apple store today and they ran a diagnostic’s on my Xs that showed nothing wrong, I kinda figured that would be the results.
The Apple people were very nice and after some discussion about how my Galaxy S10e is working perfectly with no calling issues they switched out my Xs for another Xs.
For the last few hours I’ve been making calls, receiving calls and doing texting to test out my replacement Xs and it seems to be working fine with no muffled calling problems and no other issues.
With that being said I will be returning the new Galaxy S10e and sticking with iPhone,, however my experience with the new S10e was very positive, it’s definitely a great phone and I kinda hate to return it.
I really wish Apple would follow thru on the rumored promise of Dark Mode and always On would be really nice too,, those 2 features on the Galaxy are really great !!!
Apple really needs to play catch-up with some much needed features that Android has offered for a long time now.
Thanks all for the feedback.
Cheers, Davyo

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Glad to hear that Apple replaced your Xs and the results have been positive with your new Xs. It leads me to believe that what ever the problem is with the radio, it's not being detected by the Apple diagnostic test.

No doubt that some Samsung devices have gotten better over the past couple of years. I also want a "real" Dark Theme and I really hope Apple implements it with iOS 13. Every platform has it's pro's and con's but for me at this time I'm going with Apple. I find comfort in knowing that my current device will last a couple of years and get timely updates even if I don't keep it and decide to upgrade yearly, I know I don't have to. I just don't feel that comfort with Android lasting past six months to a year without slowing down while waiting a substantial time in-between updates.
It's my honest opinion that if Apple would allow customization on their products (iPhone, iPad, ect.), a lot of consumers would probably never look at an Android device...Just sayin.
Edit;
Apple also has GREAT customer service second to none.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I still have this problem on my XS, basically I have no idea what level volume the earphone will be at from one phone call to the next, say for instance I call a cab, volume ok, I put the phone down, ten minutes later my cab arrives, the driver calls me, I can hardly hear him, he’s less than a hundred feet away ! Next day all fine, but bad on way home, what is occurring?why does my phone not amplify to set levels ?

Have you contacted Apple about this problem with your Xs?

Davyo

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Glad to hear that Apple replaced your Xs and the results have been positive with your new Xs. It leads me to believe that what ever the problem is with the radio, it's not being detected by the Apple diagnostic test.

No doubt that some Samsung devices have gotten better over the past couple of years. I also want a "real" Dark Theme and I really hope Apple implements it with iOS 13. Every platform has it's pro's and con's but for me at this time I'm going with Apple. I find comfort in knowing that my current device will last a couple of years and get timely updates even if I don't keep it and decide to upgrade yearly, I know I don't have to. I just don't feel that comfort with Android lasting past six months to a year without slowing down while waiting a substantial time in-between updates.
It's my honest opinion that if Apple would allow customization on their products (iPhone, iPad, ect.), a lot of consumers would probably never look at an Android device...Just sayin.
Edit;
Apple also has GREAT customer service second to none.

Agreed on Apple customer support, last year they replaced my 12.9 iPad Pro because my original one had a battery fail well after it was out of warranty.
As far as Android, myself and I’m sure many others are very frustrated that Apple fails to offer great features that are common place with Android such as Dark Mode, Always On, Camera Settings inside the camera and a laundry list of other features that make it challenging to stick with Apple.
My first experience with Android was back in the day when Apple would not offer screen sizes bigger than 4 inches,,, I left Apple and got a Galaxy Note and have owned many other Galaxy phones and Notes over the years,, I only came back to Apple after they introduced the bigger screen sizes.
We have Android to thank for iPhones having larger screen sizes.
I’m so unhappy with the way Apple does business these days and lags behind Android with great features,,, in all honesty the only real reason I stick with Apple is because of being so tied into the ecosystem, unfortunately Apple knows they have people like me held captive.
If Apple doesn’t step up their game I think more and more people are going to go Android.
Ohh well,,, sorry for my anti Apple rant.
Cheers, Davyo

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices